Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health  (Read 2782 times)

Viper1

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Health
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »

Just wondered if any other members suffer from mental health and how they cope with it

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: health
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:53 pm »

PM sent.   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteveB66

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats are chillin!!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:26:38 pm »

Yep, got depression. Been on tablets for 10 years and I am in the process of changing to some different ones as getting immune to them. Apart from that, up and down like a yoyo. Not nice and my sympathies to you and your wife. Mine is very understanding but some days I try her patience. Got various hobbies to try and chill out and at the minute its the making of rc boats that works the best. Plus spending time down the canal sailing it helps. Tried counseling didn't work, so now I just muddle along.
Everyone is different though, so find your own way because there isn't a lot of sympathy out there for us and find a good boss.

inertia

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:55:28 pm »

find your own way because there isn't a lot of sympathy out there for us and find a good boss.
I'll second that. Had 'burn-out' in 1990. If I'd broken my leg I'd have had a houseful of visitors all taking the mickey and bringing beer etc to cheer me up. Not with this; I might have had bubonic plague from the way I was treated. No calls, no visitors, nothing except the welfare office - whose job it was to visit the 'long-term sick' anyway. The immediate boss was told point-blank by the welfare guy to get round here and talk to me or "things would be reported up the stairs". He called round eventually, but only to collect my office keys so that someone else could take over my open cases..... From being "the man most likely to" I became "Not fitted for promotion" every year after that. I mended in time, but from what I hear the organisation is just as useless at stress management as ever.
Good luck to both.
DM

Viper1

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »

well been through a lot in my life watching my mum who was told she had dementia and looked after her until it was time to go into a care home also been jumped on outside a pub and got kicked on the same side of my head that I had a brain anni 15 years previous to that plus my aunty aka my mum sister died the day after I got out of hospital and wonder why I can't be bothered doing anything but returning to modelling is helping a bit

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:49:29 pm »

I'll second that. Had 'burn-out' in 1990. If I'd broken my leg I'd have had a houseful of visitors all taking the mickey and bringing beer etc to cheer me up.
DM

Another member of this club here.  Like Dave, I suffered a 'burn-out', but in 1996, over-doing it at work and at home, suffered a huge crash - panic attacks, fear of going out of the house etc. Counselling, tablets from the GP to get back into normal life. Once an appointment with my normal GP was unavailable and I was given an appointment with a different GP (now retired) who was brilliant, nothing too much trouble, bent over backwards to help, really great guy who helped me get back into 'the swing of things'. Still have some scars now e.g. fear of motorway driving (now improving though).
Yes people from work will ring to ask about your welfare - or more likely how can you help them out with a job they struggling with!
As previous posts this is no quick-fix and is a really hard to cure illness. Time is the great healer - all ok now.
Wish you all well,
Tony

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Health
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:46:22 pm »

You’ve done one of the most important things already – admit you have the problem and talk it over with friends.

I’ll be 72 before the end of this year, and I’ve suffered from depression since I was 18, if not before. Things were different then; I come from a stiff upper lip background, and our GP, who was a close family friend, could not see a problem. Nor, for that matter, with the even more obvious case of my then wife who turned out to be a paranoid schizophrenic. And if the problem was diagnosed the medication then available, librium or valium, usually made you feel worse. The medical profession was also very reluctant to trust or confide in you; “We don’t like labels” they told us. In fact, many years later, when a more enlightened psychiatrist told me point-blank that I was a manic-depressive, it was a huge weight off my mind. I felt that if that was the problem I could do something about it.

There are many things you can do to help yourself. Routine is important, especially getting up and getting going,
however awful you feel. Setting sensible targets and seeing things through helps a lot. Arduous physical exercise was useful for me, being on top of a Lakeland fell as the sun goes down in winter does concentrate the mind on the simple issues, such as survival. Medication plays its part, you won’t necessarily get the right one straight away. Music can help, and not necessarily what you think you like. There may be a local support group, but be wary of ones where a majority seem to have worse problems than you! There is always someone worse off than you.

Actually, the most important single factor for me was an understanding and loving partner. Take her into your confidence, and do your best (often difficult) not to upset her. Trying to understand someone else’s feelings and anxieties opens your own mind a little. Above all, don’t get despondent if your models aren’t as good as those of some of the members on here! Just enjoy making and sailing them.

I was going to PM this to Viper1 (how about a friendlier name?), but I’ve posted it because there are probably other readers less inclined to be so open. I’ve no magic answers, I just know what worked (and still works) for me. I’m happy to discuss this by PM, or perhaps later by phone, with any other members.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Viper1

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »

my right name is graham just found out that people with brain injury are more likely to suffer depression but I just get up and go as I need music when building either an aircraft kit or a tank and here is my happy cheeky school boy face

%%

One thing I have noticed is better than pills is laughter if you re in the right company 

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:52 pm »

Sounds as if you have things well worked out, Graham. Best wishes for the future.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Viper1

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 11:14:34 pm »

:-))

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:59 am »

ok2 A lot of people don't realise the amount of people who have problems with mental health,I had a break down some 40 years ago and it was the worst time of my life but with a lot of help and care from professionals I manage to work my way through it,mine was due to overwork and stress but anything can cause it,the people who were caring for me taught me how to cope with my problems and to talk about them, I have managed to live a normal life since with only a few moments when I felt poorly,there is help out there and don't be ashamed of the way you feel,we are all human and it can happen to anyone no matter how strong you think you are......Ray   ok2 ok2
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 10:21:41 am »

Stress related health problems are all too common.
If you suffer a heart attack due to stress there is all the help in the world.
Sympathy comes from all quarters.
If you suffer a mental health problem due to the same stress then it tends
to be left to the sufferer to sort out.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 11:22:03 am »

The most sensible quote I have heard about mental illness goes something like this. Mental illness is not an abnormality, but a perfectly normal reaction to the abnormal lives we are forced to live in the modern world.".
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.