Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Left hand and right hand  (Read 3243 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Left hand and right hand
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:26:55 am »

When viewed from astern, looking forward, which way should my prop shaft rotate when going ahead?  And do I need a right-hand or a left-hand prop for that?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Left hand and right hand
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:35:39 am »

hi hope this helps ive just googled it , i dont know much  about props.... my mistake thats a double

inertia

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:47:37 am »

Norman
It helps if you fit a left-hand prop - that is where the prop rotates anticlockwise when viewed from the stern, going forwards. This has the effect of tightening the prop onto the shaft, whereas the opposite rotation can (and often has) result in the prop unscrewing and being lost if it's not doubly secured with a lock-nut and thread-locking compound.
DM

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:25:01 am »

Always default to a left handed single prop. A LH prop will have a tendency to "self tighten" when going forward.  It should be locked on really well nevertheless as it will want to unscrew when going backwards.  It should rotate anti-clockwise as viewed from the stern of the model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 10:42:20 am »

Yep, 'standard' for model boats is  Left hand Prop,  Anticlockwise.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 11:34:06 am »

On the other hand, full-size European practice is usually to fit RH, i.e. clockwise, rotation screws on single-screw vessels. I've always followed that lead, used 'threadlok' and a locking nut and never lost a screw.

Barry M

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 11:48:54 am »

So there you have it, on the one hand Left and on the other Right  :-))  I've used both and never had a problem with losing a prop. I've only ever used a lock nut, however go with what you're comfortable with. :-))
Don't Assume Check

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 12:59:18 pm »

Thanks gents.  Gosh, aeroplane propellors are much easier to get your head round!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 01:20:14 pm »

Thanks gents.  Gosh, aeroplane propellors are much easier to get your head round!

You could always build an Airboat.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »

hi hope this helps ive just googled it , i dont know much  about props.... my mistake thats a double

This diagram is both correct and incorrect from what I have read in the past %% Incorrect on most twin prop ships they turn the opposite way to make the stern squat down under power.

However it is correct for ships with low freeboard at the stern like all anchor handling or offshore craft and tugs. They set up like that to lift the stern when under power, otherwise if it squats you get even more water sloshing over the workdeck.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:10:54 pm »

If the majority of your head-in docking is on the starboard side of the boat, a left hand prop, going in reverse helps pull the stern into the dock. Port side docking, right hand prop.  This is due to "prop walk," where the bottom blade of the prop pushes water to the side.  Think of it as a tire rolling along on the road.

And as others have said above, tighten the prop as tight against the locknut as you can, then tighten it some more.  When you suddenly go from forward to reverse with a left hand prop, that's when it will back off if it can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.