Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twisted Hull  (Read 2824 times)

kendalboatsman

Twisted Hull
« on: June 16, 2007, 05:31:27 pm »

Hello,

I have started to build the HDML that I have had a while (5 years to be precise), the hull didn't look great when it arrived so I shelved the project until I had time to build a level workbench to build it on.

The hull is twisted along its length and the transom is out of line as a result. The hull was stored in the packaging it was sent in with no stresses on it. One side has bowed right out and the other seems to follow the correct curve.

How do I straighten this out? This is my first attempt at a semi-kit and only my second use of a fibreglass hull. The other use was the Conserver from Model Slipway. I thought of using the hull lines to make a jig to sit the hull in, is this the best way. Alternatively should I build the deck beams and supports over the plan (I have plan protector sheets) and then fix that into the hull to form the correct hull shape?

Are there any modellers in and around Birmingham, UK,  who would be prepared to show me how to sort this, I will happily travel to sort this out as I want to get it built.

Thanks
Clive

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Twisted Hull
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 07:33:16 pm »

Hi, You could try heating the problem side with a hot air gun, and then hold it just slightly out of shape in the other direction while it cools down.  Obviously you have to use trial and error, and have several goes to get it up to the required temperature.

Bob

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Twisted Hull
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:46:29 pm »

Bob's method worked for me a few years back except that I used a hair dryer on hottest setting. It should be possible to get it nearly right and then rely on the internal framing to get both sides the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.