Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: VW scandal  (Read 38530 times)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: VW scandal
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »

Here's a decent graphic showing a typical SCR process.
Best as I can understandS it...  %%

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)
CAC -  charged air cooler (intercooler)
DPF - diesel particiulate filter
DEF - diesel exhaust fluid (urea)
Catalyst -  catalytic converter

inertia

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2015, 07:22:03 pm »

Urea?? This must be the first example in history of taking the p*** actually involving injecting the stuff. All very confusing for a bear of little brain............... %)
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2015, 07:33:32 pm »

That is a very useful diagram Umi.

Dave, just think of the opportunities here - you could act as a beer converter to produce the stuff. Only problem is that instead of Catalytic you might end up being Paralytic!

Catheters - don't go there!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:09 pm »

They were saying on the radio this morning that it may cost £4 - 6  Billion for VW to fix the problem.... but they made nearly £8 Billion profit (after Tax) last year alone!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »

HI Colin

Adblu is not urea it is a chemical like urea, it works like a scouring pad removing the particles at high temperature.

Broke my new truck before Christmas when one of the sensors failed in the exhaust system, £6000 to replace the DPF, Turbo and the front half of the exhaust system. Only done 3000km.

Dont let your DPF get blocked!!!!  costly

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2015, 10:42:15 pm »

May be a good time for a long term investor to buy some VAG shares??????  O0...considering they are now about EURO 60 each compared to EURO 110 two weeks ago >:-o

Human nature being what it is {-)......will all will be forgiven in years to come?

That mate of mine........[OZ lifeguard in London] retired at the same time as me....he had $500K AUD in his BHP Billiton shares six months ago......today they are worth $225K AUD......& he acknowledges he may be pushing up daffodil's by the time the return to the earlier value.... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2015, 10:49:02 pm »

Sorry to hear that Mark, it must have been a real downer. DPFs on cars are expensive, especially if the turbo goes as well. Amazing that a truck costs that much though! I had a diesel Mazda 6 for three years two cars back and had no problems at all but when I came to replace it I concluded that diesels were simply becoming too complicated, too expensive to buy and too expensive to repair out of warranty so I bought a naturally aspirated (no turbo) petrol instead. Not an option if you need a truck though! My new 2 litre 6 is giving 45mpg which is not far short of diesel territory in general driving.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2015, 10:58:30 pm »

This must be in the Top Ten of corporate fraud of all time?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2015, 11:07:52 pm »

Hi Colin

All covered under warranty thank god!!!!  £130,000 pound truck 3 weeks old, the tecnition told me he was going on the training course in january to learn how to fix them, (he got a quick learning curve)
Tugs are for pulling

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2015, 12:09:36 am »

Far be it for me to defend any auto maker but after nearly sixty years in the auto industry I feel I can speak with some knowledge of what goes on in the business of maintaining & the repair of many different company's cars. One Japanese company I worked for had massive brake failures at low temperature( -20/-22c) This vehicle was never recalled.  The customer was mailed a voucher for two new wiper blades free, when he/she came into pick up the wiper blades we knew that that car had a defective brake Master cylinder & we asked the customer to wait for half an hour while we fixed a small problem, NEVER mentioning the brakes. Same company when they had to meet new emission standards their cars just would never run right when new from the factory. However the company in question sent us new jets & they fixed the problem. Of course the cars no longer met the emission standards, that is just the tip of the iceberg of what went on. In defence of the companies emissions were handed down by politicians most times with very short lead times who had no idea what it took to get cars to meet those standards. A case in point was MGBs, up to the middle of 1974 the engines produced 95HP @ the flywheel. At the end of 1974 that HP was reduced to 64 HP( North America,it was still O/K for the U/K to emit as before) at the flywheel to meet the American regulations. Can you imagine trying to sell a customer that wanted to trade in his earlier model built before the the end of 1974 owning  a post 1974 model. I can understand manufactures' trying to get around the standards short term until the engineers & scientists could catch up but I can't understand a company with a reputation like VW doing what they did. Years ago Ford with their Pintos & Bobcats had a fault that when hit from the rear the cars caught fire & because of the impact you could not open the doors & people burned to death. Top brass made a decision that accident claims would cost less than a recall (about $6.30 per car to fix) They estimated claims would not exceed more than $120 million dollars total, the first single claim was for $128 million. Then we had all the tire failures here in North America that killed dozens of people.No companies should be allowed to do their own monitoring, it has been proven time after time. Mick B.     
Mick B.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2015, 01:33:44 am »

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2015, 05:11:42 am »

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2015, 12:16:31 pm »

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:16 pm »

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2015, 11:19:47 pm »

And another Białoruskie Miechaniki testing VW for emissions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4vHeSe5jAs

:-))

Another gem.
At least they are consistent  O0 O0 %% %%
Gunna build those other boats one day.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2015, 12:21:21 am »

can't understand why it would be illegal to remove the dpf, if the emmissions still fall withing the prescribed limits, how can it be illegal, the ecu changing the settings during test may not change it by much as the limits are quite far ranging depending upon the age/condition of the engine i.e. if looked after the difference between 'on test' and real world cannot be that much.and the dpf is to remove particulates, but not all cars have these systems unless they are german or their partners - yes?
as for a game changer for the industry and this brand suffering, nah, their government will fine them tell them to put out a software patch upload it for pennies and reduce the cost, people will still have the need to drive a car and any chance they get they will still want a german brand as most are richard craniums when driving as these are quick off the mark etc, top of the list is the BMW idiots and next is the audi a3 boy/girl racers etc etc etc (the views expressed here are not aimed at those BMW, VW incarnates that do drive responsibly  :} )
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2015, 01:13:04 am »

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2015, 01:42:05 pm »

Reminds me of living in Cumbria and the way the locals did a right turn. One flash of the indicator, if you were lucky, and go. If you complained they just said,'But everyone knows I turn right here'.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »

Think VAG have hacked into BMWs systems and are fitting the same software to Audis
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2015, 04:29:06 pm »

My boss has a 3ltr monticarlo Audi A6, nice motor, he drives within the specified speed limits and indicates as per prescribed law - thing is, he gets to the speed limit very quickly and can lose me if i am following, and I was known to have a driving style that was well known in the company as being a bit risky - must be my age i've mellowed considerably  %)  , now i get audi a3 drivers and those who just  got to get everywhere in the least time giving me dirty looks for driving at the speed limit - exactly (we have those speed indicator signs all over the place and trying to hit the magic 30 is my target).

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

A lot of people seem to forget that the speed limit is exactly that.... a speed limit, being the maximum speed one is allowed to drive in good conditions for that stretch of road.  IT IS NOT the speed at which you MUST drive
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2015, 06:33:17 pm »

thats good, cause i rarely get over it, hense the reason for the bad looks from the racers  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »

can't understand why it would be illegal to remove the dpf, if the emmissions still fall withing the prescribed limits, how can it be illegal,

If you have modified the car, without telling your insurance company, your insurance could be invalid. Driving without valid insurance is illegal.

Text size now fixed, Thanks Derek
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2015, 09:08:47 pm »

ok2...I think TT was trying to convey..........[couldn't quite copy the first few words]  >>:-(

'have modified the car, without telling your insurance company, your insurance could be invalid. Driving without valid insurance is illegal'.................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2015, 09:22:01 pm »

Also, if you have removed a piece of original equipment or it isn't working then the car will not pass its MOT and will thus become unroadworthy.

I think you will find that the reason that a car with DPF removed still passes the emissions test is because you have simply converted it into a pre DPF vehicle and there are still many of those on the road so the test has to be set at a level that will allow them to pass.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 22 queries.