Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: VW scandal  (Read 38514 times)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: VW scandal
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2015, 10:35:56 pm »

Colin and Warspite

It comes under the consruction and use regulations, if its fitted it must remain in a working condition

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:41 pm »

Whoo Hoo Choo choo
Bintur Ellenbach

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2015, 07:26:56 am »

Ha ha ha :} 
It'll look better when it's finished!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: brushless motors
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2015, 03:15:59 pm »

Had a call today asking if I had been mis sold a ppi, I said no and they replied ok what about a vw?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2015, 03:20:13 pm »

Mis sold a PPI?
NO!
OK what about a VW?

At least it will keep the PPI guys in work for another year or 2
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »

Our local VW dealer has just had flyers delivered by Royal Mail
Offering cash back deals on new VW's  %)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

Anyone that's bought a VW recently must be fuming.
.... don't worry, VW will have another Defeat Fumes option available soon.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2015, 05:23:45 pm »

Don't Worry
VW  Very Worried :embarrassed:

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2015, 11:01:55 pm »

%).....in OZ, our WV Group Australia have recalled or withdrawn from the sales offices all of the new diesel engined vehicles with the dodgy fuel computer

These vehicles will be the first group of vehicles to get the new computer system installed and then returned to the distributors to make them saleable

Current owners of said 'newish' offending vehicles will commence the recall for conversion under warranty in January/February 2016....yes 4 months away

Owners of vehicles outside of warranty are probably considering making an appointment with their Bank Manager >>:-( for an overdraft on their home loan to pay for the conversion...............although this all depends if enough owners get together with a Class Action against VGA  <*< & challenge their inaction in the High Court......

Now remembering, owners of VW vehicles in the USA that suffered faulty transmissions had their vehicles repaired under warranty as WV America admitted liability.....however WV Australia did not follow the same path for the same fault and our owners finally found themselves in the High Court O0 .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2015, 11:26:17 pm »

If it isn't compulsory, (which apparently in the UK it isn't), why would you want to have your car converted so that it uses more fuel and has a poorer performance? Earlier models of diesels without the latest emission gadgets will still remain legal to drive for the forseeable future despite their higher emission levels. I only ask because it is common practice to remove crudded up DPF filters at the moment which motorists are clearly happy to do if it avoids them having to fork out the eye watering costs of a replacement filter.

I previously had a Mondeo diesel without a DPF and found myself rather embarrassed by the cloud of soot that appeared in the rear view mirror whenever I put my foot down. My second diesel, a Mazda 6 with the same size engine had a DPF and was around 5mpg worse in terms of fuel consumption demonstrating how these gadgets do strangle performance. My present car is a petrol Mazda 6 which returns just under 2mpg less than the previous diesel version in day to day driving.

It seems that the manufacturers simply cannot meet the current regs with the present generation of diesels, hence the VW cheats and no doubt others as well. In the meantime petrols seem to have been more amenable to improvements.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:25 am »

So Colin asks....

"If it isn't compulsory, (which apparently in the UK it isn't), why would you want to have your car converted so that it uses more fuel?"

Well if VW diesel engines currently comply with UK and or Australian regulations, why are the vehicles being converted under warranty?...there is more than meets the eye here >>:-(

I suppose the second hand value of the vehicle may determine or sway any need to convert, and secondly any Government retrospectively applied regulations  <*< may also be a factor... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:41 am »

This is the latest info from VW UK:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2015, 05:56:45 am »

So Colin asks....

"If it isn't compulsory, (which apparently in the UK it isn't), why would you want to have your car converted so that it uses more fuel?"

Well if VW diesel engines currently comply with UK and or Australian regulations, why are the vehicles being converted under warranty?...there is more than meets the eye here >>:-(

I suppose the second hand value of the vehicle may determine or sway any need to convert, and secondly any Government retrospectively applied regulations  <*< may also be a factor... Derek

Or said another way, they, the authorities might be on track to find out what else VW and co, have been up to.
Lawyers are rubbing there hands in glee. Class action coming up O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2015, 09:40:10 am »

Obviously VW will get hammered by the regulators but at this stage it is not at all clear to what extent VW owners have/or will suffer personal loss as a result of this fiasco.

It will take a long time for all the ramifications to become clear and these may well differ from country to country depending on their legal frameworks. I suspect that the EU will do their very best to try and sweep the whole thing under the carpet as much as possible due to the employment and economic effects of flattening VW. Politicians tend to be pragmatic in these situations especially here as nobody has (specifically) died!

Colin

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:14 am »

>:-o Watching one of the American TV stations this morning,a spokesman for the senate health committee was saying that they are worried about the amount of pollution these Diesel cars cause and the health effects on their citizens,well mr spokesman you don't seems to be over concerned about the 32,000 people killed by gun crime in America,am I being cynical in thinking that VW is a foreign company and that most guns are made by American manufacturers and lot of money is involved,typical of the double standards that all politicians apply when the interests of their backers are at risk. >:-o   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2015, 09:46:30 am »

So Colin asks....

Here is number two stay tuned for more

http://www.theage.com.au/business/retail/vw-scandal-regulators-investigate-second-emissions-software-program-20151009-gk58ym.html
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2015, 09:57:09 am »

atching one of the American TV stations this morning,a spokesman for the senate health committee was saying that they are worried about the amount of pollution these Diesel cars cause and the health effects on their citizens

Diesel cars are almost unheard of in the USA compared with petrols, most of which seem to have huge engines and the vehicle of choice appears to be the pickup truck.

Colin

Trevor Holloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2015, 11:26:24 am »

I think that in the good ole You Ess of Hay pick ups are classed differently than cars and have different safety and emission regulations. May even have different tax levels too.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2015, 03:56:07 pm »

The pickups are REALLY cheap to buy and their spec is huge too - leather, 6-seater crew-cab, 4x4 air con - electric everything.

A couple of years ago, there was a GM stand at the end of the Test Track ride at EPCOT - the truck there was huge - V8, massive wheels, massive crew-cab (3 seats across, huge bed on the back - about 20' long in total - $18,000.

I'd buy it!  :-))

Their 'gas-guzzlers' don't guzzle - I had a 4.6 litre Lincoln Town Car (limo) that averaged 30mpg (US gallon). The 305bhp Impala I had last year did 34mpg.

My 2.2 GM Eurobox only does 28mpg (UK)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2015, 04:32:17 pm »

My 2.2 GM Eurobox only does 28mpg (UK)

Must be the way you drive!  %% My 2.0 petrol is currently doing over 45mpg.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »

I take it you're not doing many short runs. You won't get 45mpg from a 2.0l petrol round town no matter how light your right foot is.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »

Can't drive this hard - if you try to corner 'briskly' you slide around the leather seats!

If I drive very gently watching the computer - no matter how hard I try, 28.6 is the very best it will do on my normal around-town driving.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2015, 06:19:35 pm »

I take it you're not doing many short runs. You won't get 45mpg from a 2.0l petrol round town no matter how light your right foot is.

No, I don't live in town. My driving is a mix of twisty country B roads (lots of acceleration/deceleration), one mile shopping trips to the village and maybe 40 miles on a dual carriageway with a 50/60 mph limit once a week - so quite a mixture really. Car is the new Mazda 6 with a very high compression ratio, normal aspiration with no turbo 165ps. Normally carries two up plus a heavy spare wheel.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

I dare say it's using direct injection, which allows very high compression ratios through the use of stratified charge, preventing detonation. All the same these engines have to resort to using a more conventional air fuel ratio when power is called upon e.g. pulling away.

I find economy halves on my car when driven on short journeys compared with longer runs, the only real solution is lighter smaller cars. All the engine technology in the world can only ring a few more percent from otto cycle. The inescapable truth is that most of the energy gets shoved straight out of the exhaust pipe.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:21 pm »

>:-o Watching one of the American TV stations this morning,a spokesman for the senate health committee was saying that they are worried about the amount of pollution these Diesel cars cause and the health effects on their citizens,well mr spokesman you don't seems to be over concerned about the 32,000 people killed by gun crime in America,am I being cynical in thinking that VW is a foreign company and that most guns are made by American manufacturers and lot of money is involved,typical of the double standards that all politicians apply when the interests of their backers are at risk. >:-o   

You are actually expecting something logical from a U.S. politician a year from a Presidential election? {-)
If the U.S. had a multi-party system, it would be splintered into so many small parties that the nation would be even more ungovernable than it is now! >>:-(

Oh, and my 'source' has hinted that cheating might have been going on ever since U.S. emissions rules were invented. <*<

Tom
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.