Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dummy Outboard idea  (Read 14111 times)

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Dummy Outboard idea
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:54 am »

The boat is up and running. It's come out 1.6kg lighter than another of the same hull model, and is behaving very differently,  so I've got some ground work to do before judgement is made on the steering.
At the moment it's behaving like the existing boat steering wise, too little steering at low speeds and too much at high. I use dual rate and exponential settings to overcome that on that one, but my freehand design here allows 28 degrees each side of rudder movement which is fine for port turns at idle but less so for stbd, for some reason. So a bit of throttle squares things up but a bit more rudder in the water won't go amiss. At higher speeds 28 degrees is way too much, of course. Add the directed thrust and my existing boat turns within two boat lengths at full speed on perhaps 15 degrees of rudder, this one is nuts in comparison,  more like a jet boat! Just spinning out.

So the next trial will have the boat better setup on the basics, and I'll fit slightly longer but thinner rudder blades with no balancing and probably parallel shaped.

Prior to all of this the cowling had to be fully fitted,  which included an exhaust setup which exited the scale position with injected water. I've got pictures and video but not had the time to get them uploaded etc. I'll catch up with that, but basically the exhaust tuned pipe enters the outboard cowling and the outlet is directed into a partially sealed pipe which is three times the cross section, water injected at the top of an 's' bend cools the pipe and more importantly takes a bit of the crack out of the exhaust note. The partial sealing comes from a ring of silicone tubing that acts as a mechanical buffer between the tuned pipe and the extender. The idea sought is that extending the pipe does not effect the tuned pipe's operation and it that respect it seems to be fine so far. It's made from two rc car exhaust manifolds, one bonded in to the exit and the other fitted using an exhaust spring so that it can be pulled out of the way. This allowed me to avoid cutting a split on the cowling top to feed it over the pipe, hence is stronger.  The only issue with this is that the scale like outlet is slightly forward of the steering clevises, so I was treated to a smeechy mess to clean up, that'll have to be sorted further down the line.
Cooling water outlets fitted to the lower cowling are slash cut angled tubes hot rod style ' ish. This is just a way of partially hiding the outlets because some outlet positions look a bit silly in respect to scale looks, here the water is lost in the spray at the back of the boat but a close pass allows my deteriorating eyesight to check all is well with the cooling flow.

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 11:19:00 pm »

Still have lots of gaps to fill in this thread, but I'll just add a big one cutting to the chase, or at least sight of it  %)

Quite a lot of work has needed to get the rest of the boat functional but with that out of the way we have a runner, where we can start fine tuning things a little. To be honest my attention has been wholly on the engine/hull/weight relationship and the dummy outboard has taken a back seat till now.

The boat is very lively at full throttle and whilst we continue to rail the boat down we have been running at maybe three quarter throttle, rich, and a little underprop'd, just to stay in a place where it's manageable.

At the moment then the dummy OB is being looked at properly for the first time. As part of that an on-board video of the OB is showing mucho pressure washing of the rudder yokes, predicted, and clear indication of the thrust directing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN6d8JjtlDE

And some stills, taken in terrible light I'm afraid, shows the boat running a little stern down through not being at full chat, cooling water flow OK, and at least on the water prime for tweaking.

One week to assemble the boat, two weeks and over a hundred launches to get here %)

I'll fill those gaps over the next few days

Tim_M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 02:54:40 pm »

Looks good, Jerry. What camera did you use for the movie?
It's knowing what I don't know that makes me cleverer than I am :-)

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 08:10:10 pm »

Thanks Tim.

The camera is an AEE S70.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 10:45:25 pm »

Looks good Jerry,what prop are you using now .

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 12:05:33 am »

Not settled on anything yet, we've been using Graupner Carbon Hydro Props, I have the full range between 40 and 62mm. We found that a 52mm on the rich running CMB 65 gave the most stable output for us to be able to concentrate on boat trim.
Following the session in the video we've adjusted the internal layout and rudders again and we'll be looking at starting serious tuning of props and engine next time out, which is tomorrow all being well.

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 09:07:18 pm »

The catch up images.

Here's the water outlets mentioned. As a reminder they have been set up so that they are easy to check on the fly. The left one is the engine outlet, the right the exhaust cooling which is Tee'd off to an fitting on the exhaust extension.....:

Which you can see here:

With the tuned pipe fitted is just juts into the extension without a true seal. It does not seem to be a problem for the engine, but maybe too soon to tell:

The steering servo is in keeping with a recent trend of mine, to fit waterproof ones and a simple small radio box. So far so good with these HiTec's:

Finally fitted:

And a better picture from more trials today in quite rough conditions, which were useful. He's getting to know where the limits are after a couple of hectic spin outs and a roll. The boat is clearly rear end locked under way, probably that wide leg, and the steering is hyper RPM sensitive, but he's getting to grips with it and grinning a lot:

We are close to settling this now. As you can see the longer rudders are on (mediums), but we plan to cut them down a tad after today's tests, they were a bit too big a step.

We now plan to strip and rebuild the boat with its livery before any more tests, the activity to get it going is leveling out and the next project looms.

The main thing, the lad loves it, and that's what matters  :-)

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 11:24:28 pm »

Heres some more on-board video: https://youtu.be/DYOQUBy5uIM

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2015, 12:54:34 am »

More video, this time a shaky view from the lakeside.

Here the boat is close to where we are, it's before we shortened the rudders though, which has reduced grabbing in the turns. It seems that the leg is influencing the turning forces to almost pull the bow into the turn, when we first tried it the stern was drifting a lot on default leg settings, making it behave somewhat like an airboat  %) . The aim since has been to lock the boat down on to it's rails, it's better in this vid but finalising the build is needed before we tweak it any more.

I think this thread is done, I'll put up some final photos once the boat is complete and that'll be it. Until a bigger engine goes in  ok2

https://youtu.be/fFdm-1h98Uw

The next project will be two of these dummy outboards in an X-Cat Catamaran powered by a pair of contra rotating Irvine 40's, but first we play rather than build for a while  :-)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 04:43:40 pm »

Just a quick thought, do you have the X cat hull ?. Just ask as Daz Elson is giving up moulding if you intended to use one of his hulls. You might need to get in quick.

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 05:49:11 pm »

Yes it's in hand thanks.

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »

WoW love it love the attention to detail British craftmanship,art work in metal my friend  :-))

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 10:58:15 am »

Here's the finished boat pictures as promised.

It's working fine, the lad is enjoying his boat but we are looking forward to the proper engine to become available to really see this thing on full chat. I'll revisit this once that is in place.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 07:31:52 pm »

Nice!    Can you email a hires of photo 3....  Mayhem's photo of the month!   :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/index.htm
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.