Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish MFV body and lines plan  (Read 5410 times)

john255

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scottish MFV body and lines plan
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:07:40 pm »

Good day all
I am looking for the lines and body plans of a Scottish built (?) MFV from about the 1950's (?). As you can see I don't have a lot of information but I do have a photo. She was about 16m LOA. No idea about the beam or the draught.
I'm looking for plans of the hull to build a 'plank on bulkhead' model. I can figure out the scantlings, all I need is an accurate shape for the hull.
A quick background: I'm not a model builder, apart from a ridiculous amount of 'airfix' models as a kid, I've built one wooden model: 'Samson' in 1972 with my Dad (he probably did it all). It is a tug and I think the kit was Danish. I'm now fifty something and this model is still with me through death and divorce. I thought I would tart her up as there were many problems but it has become much more than that. It has certainly re-kindled my love of building models.
Thanks

John

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scottish MFV body and lines plan
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:02 pm »

There was a lad for the Scottish borders did a fibreglass hull of a similar vessel

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:32:36 pm »

You could also get a  hull from William P Wood in Aberdeen he has a selection

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »

Hi I think Jim Pottinger may have done some plans for this vessel - may be in either Model Boats or Marine Modelling mags.

aye

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »

have a look at this, similar, but I am sure he has done more like this.    I know Mr Pottinger is on Facebook as well as on Mayhem here.   It may pay to drop him a personal message.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Boat-Plan-Scarbh-Model-Boats-Magazine-October-2009-Vol-59-Issue-707-/231695071220?hash=item35f21a37f4

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

john255

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:03:27 pm »

Many thanks Wicker and Bluebird for responding with the info and advice. I will check it out.
Regarding the 'SCARBH' she looks to have too much sheer fore and aft for the length.
The plans I am looking for has the lines of a 'Zulu' but not with an exposed rudder stock aft of the stern post as found on the 'Zulu' and the 'Fifie'
The accuracy of the plans is most important as you can probably tell.
Thanks
John

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:53:39 pm »

Good day all
I am looking for the lines and body plans of a Scottish built (?) MFV from about the 1950's (?). As you can see I don't have a lot of information but I do have a photo. She was about 16m LOA. No idea about the beam or the draught.
I'm looking for plans of the hull to build a 'plank on bulkhead' model. I can figure out the scantlings, all I need is an accurate shape for the hull.
A quick background: I'm not a model builder, apart from a ridiculous amount of 'airfix' models as a kid, I've built one wooden model: 'Samson' in 1972 with my Dad (he probably did it all). It is a tug and I think the kit was Danish. I'm now fifty something and this model is still with me through death and divorce. I thought I would tart her up as there were many problems but it has become much more than that. It has certainly re-kindled my love of building models.
Thanks

John
Hello John.
that particular boat was as a fishing vessel based and registered in the town of Fleetwood on the north west coast of England called Lorna Marie. hope this might help you to find plans.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:19:04 pm »

Boat in photo was built in 1940 and was 54ft long , built to the Admiralty MFV style

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/18739/magm2019-45'-admiralty-pl-mfv-plan
^^ you could rescale that plan ( increase it by times 1.22 using a photo copier )

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17010/launch-out-mm1134
This plan is for a later build but close enough to be modified to suit
Davie Tait,
Scotland

john255

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 08:38:38 am »

Spot on, BFSMP she was my Dad's boat and the first boat I went to sea in. As a fresh faced (soon to be green faced, hanging over the rail sick as a dog) 14 year old it didn't put me off as I only came ashore in 2011.
Unfortunately, this picture from a website and a dog eared polaroid are the only information I have.
Davie, thanks for the further info. 'Admiralty' is ringing a bell, I will do a little research. Thanks for the links but they are not quite right. Lorna Marie does not have a raked bow and the stem post is vertical. Sorry to be picky but accuracy is important for the reasons above.
Many thanks for the replies
John

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 03:38:50 pm »

Give Jim Pottinger a shout I'm sure he's drawn the plans for the 55ft MFV's

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12622

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.