Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Primer recommendation please  (Read 3468 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Primer recommendation please
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »

The boat I'm building will be going in the water, and the top coats will be brushed Humbrol enamels.  Humbrol recommends using their primer after I've done the sanding sealer routine, but I can't easily get hold of any of it.  So can anybody recommend a brushing primer which I'm likely to find in DIY places or builders' merchants?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Primer recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:17:10 pm »

Hi if you go to Humbrols website follow links to shop and all will be relieved. I have used all Humbrol products on my Fairmount Build And every thing was sent direct from Humbrol. There are lots of tips there, there will be some say go to Halfords ,but the service I have had from Humbrol was second to none .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:51:17 pm »

Thanks David, but the guy I spoke to there said they only have it in 14ml tins, and I've not found it listed in a 50ml tin anywhere else on the internets either.  Surely there must be a readily-available alternative brush-applied primer that's compatible with enamel paint?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:10:23 pm »

You can get Humbrol enamel primer in a spray if you prefer.
Chris

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:12 am »

You can get Humbrol enamel primer in a spray if you prefer.
Chris

Yes, but as I keep saying, I'm after stuff to brush!  I'd love to spray paint, Chris, but it's just not practical for me.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:47:38 am »

Just as a tester try ordinary exterior wood primer you use one outdoor woodwork not undercoat it will be called bare wood primer ,woods wood after all I am most certain it will work.Rustians should do small tins

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Primer-Undercoat-RUSTINS-GYPU500/dp/B008FZ1OJ8/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8&qid=1443599582&sr=8-57&keywords=rustins+metal+paint.
I found the above it could be worth a try .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:02:48 am »

Cheers David.  Yep, I need to do something soonish, so reckon I'll just get a tin of ordinary DIY wood primer and hope for the best  :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:23:14 am »

Most of the primers in the shops are water based quick dry types. They are probably OK but don't rub down so well as the oil based types which will give a harder finish more suited to an enamel topcoat. See http://decoratingadvice.co.uk/paint/wood-primer

With paints used for household use, you may need to thin them down a bit for modelling applications - less chance of brushmarks too!

Colin

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 01:23:59 pm »

Cheers Colin.  Trust me to make things difficult for myself!  %)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 08:05:27 pm »

And just in case it's useful to somebody else to know, I discovered this afternoon in the builders' merchants that Rustins do a very handy 250ml tin of white oil-based primer for the princely sum of £3.99  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.