Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Proxxon Scroll saw DS230E  (Read 2911 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Questions about Proxxon Scroll saw DS230E
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:05 pm »

My lady wife has very kindly treated me to a Proxxon Scroll saw, about which I have two questions.

What's the rule(s) for determining which blades to use for what? (My choice is from the selection of Pégas ones which comes with the saw.)

And what's the secret to getting it to follow a marked line of cut?  Yes the blade is cutting on the down stroke, it's in properly and it's tensioned, but it seems that however I go about making a cut in ply (from 2mm to 6mm), the cut wants to wander - and always the same way.  If I try to make a straight cut, I end up having to angle the marked line off to my left by about 3° (i.e. if viewed from above, the work needs to be rotated clockwise relative to the front-back axis of the table).  And if I try to follow a gentle curve (a 4" rad or so), it wants to wander all over.

Any suggestions please guys?  Right now this is driving me nuts!

:((   
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Questions about Proxxon Scroll saw DS230E
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:44:32 pm »

I've got a Hegner that I've had for years and it's exactly the same.  A Hegner rep. told me that it's the way the blades are made i.e. a bit more tooth offset on one side.  I can't say that I can see it.  I haven't tried it but it seems likely that a spiral cut blade would follow a line better.

I don't know the Proxxon saw but on the Hegner I can fit a junior hacksaw blade which at least helps with cutting a straight line.

HTH

NNF

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:53:16 am »

No idea about your Proxxon, but my Rexon cuts with a slight bias. It's just a matter of knowing which side of a line to cut. I do know that if the blade isn't tensioned enough it will wander with the slightest sideways push you put on the material. . . . . Let the blade cut rather than pushing the material onto it too fast ? After using this one for over 15 years I've gotten used to it and have given up on my bandsaw. A score with a Stanley knife first on the cut line will improve your straightline cutting.
in my own little world

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:05:11 am »

my powered fretsaw is just the same, you get used to feeding in with the slight bias, and to follow the curves is just a case of not trying to force it.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:09:06 am »

I've just checked mine to find that there is a slight twist in the blade . . . I've been cutting 1/2 inch ply with it , lots of twisty bits, perhaps that is your problem. Try a new blade
in my own little world

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 10:25:19 am »

Hi Norman,  There's nothing wrong with your scroll saw, as the name suggests it is not designed to cut straight lines this comes with practice, try marking lines, straight and curved, on a piece of waist ply and practice with different blades to get the "feel" of the machine, it's best to feed the ply slowly, I've had my Erbauer scroll saw for a couple of years now and can follow any line including straight, but I couldn't when I first got it. :-))

Joe

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 12:50:52 pm »

I have an Aeropiccola Vibrosaw, mainly used for intricate curved deck plank edging in thin plywood.
I knew from the outset that using one was an acquired knack so set aside time to practice on lots of offcuts.  The first knack to aquire was getting exactly the right amount of tension in the blade.  I got through quite a lot of blades.  Next trick was learn how to feed the ply towards to wood.  It really prefers you to let the blade do the work rather than feeding the wood into it (a sure recipe for broken blades). After some practice it is more a question of gently holding the work down whilst gently guiding it the desired direction as it cuts. Straight lines are more difficult than cutting just outside pencilled curves, but can be done with patience.  You will need to dress up the cut edges so allow a little to sand off.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 01:39:12 pm »

Thank you very much indeed chaps.  That's really helpful.  I tried with a new blade of different make this morning and the bias is lot less, so maybe the problem here isn't entirely user error ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.