Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Struggling painting the small parts  (Read 1474 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
Struggling painting the small parts
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:06:01 pm »

I am gradually making and fitting small parts to my 49 inch Perkasa. I bought a can of car paint in sea  grey which I applied to the hull and superstructure using an air brush without problem. Now I am making small parts I tried to brush paint them using the same paint and it is not working well. I cannot get a smooth finish. Should I be using different thinners or using much more thinners if I want to brush paint it.
It crossed my mind to get some Humbrol for the small parts but I don't want to mix 2 types of paint to avoid future problems.
Just for my education will car paint react with acrylic?
Les

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Struggling painting the small parts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:26:09 pm »

I would recommend using a large rectangle of balsa wood and cover it with double sided tape.  Then you stick the small parts on with a small distance between each so you can spray the whole lot with ease to get the same spray finish as on the hull. Easy to lift the parts off when dried, and keeps the whole set together.  With more than one colour use one board for each.

PS:  Most car paint is acrylic, especially Halfords rattle cans.  When thoroughly dry you can brush paint detail using Humbrol enamels, but acrylic over enamel not a good idea.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Struggling painting the small parts
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:13:11 pm »

Have a look at Stavros how to paint tutorial and read it a few times,and it will all be clear .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.