Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the world need another springer kit?  (Read 4879 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Does the world need another springer kit?
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:22:54 pm »

Well I have had a ball designing the Albert kit and I was asked what was next?
I have wanted to do a springer kit for a while now but I had a few projects to get out of the way first (and still do) but the question is have springer kits been done to death? I can see an opportunity to add my system of locking tabs and pins to make construction super easy but is there anything else to bring to the design? Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Does the world need another springer kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 01:47:27 pm »

Interchangeable tops ?   Or at least a few simple options for the topsides. One of the reasons of the popularity of the Springer is that no two are alike.  Don't know how you would do this but same wheelhouse at front, centre or aft.  Simple hatch cover ,like Clyde puffer or any tramp steamer, same wheelhouse at front with same hatch for fishing boat midship.  Tug with hold area simple engine-room , choice of funnel (steam or diesel)wheelhouse at front on top of engine room.  A push-boat of course but not just a dunny on a box. :embarrassed:
..well can you land on this?

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:56:36 pm »

Zippkits does two tops, and two drive setups.
The drive options are single and dual propellers.
The tops are still pretty basic. I think stepping it up like the puffer or even modern tugs
would be a real draw to those that want a bit more scale with the simple construction.

:-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:10:17 pm »

You could develop a kit at a more leasurely pace while selling Alberts and looking at other future kits. If there is a lot of interest while doing the development then you can step up the rate and get a kit out.

You know how to design the parts and your hulls are sound, also, you have the Australasian/Pacific region as your market place that might appreciate a locally built kit that costs less to deliver than something from the UK?

Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »

And there this kit too:

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/radio-control-model-boats-/aero$9naut-ramborator-wooden-boat-kit

What about reconfigerable towing barges?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »

Interchangeable tops ?   Or at least a few simple options for the topsides. One of the reasons of the popularity of the Springer is that no two are alike.  Don't know how you would do this but same wheelhouse at front, centre or aft.  Simple hatch cover ,like Clyde puffer or any tramp steamer, same wheelhouse at front with same hatch for fishing boat midship.  Tug with hold area simple engine-room , choice of funnel (steam or diesel)wheelhouse at front on top of engine room.  A push-boat of course but not just a dunny on a box. :embarrassed:

I did this a while back. I had six different 'decks' on the one springer hull - sorry they are not all there but see here - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40898.0.html  The project could be endless! O0

PaulBemter

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 09:17:50 pm »

Hello from a German in Turkey,
I recently built a springer from scratch as my first model, it was lots of fun and turned out quite well - in my eyes at least. Then I wanted to build another simple boat, but not again a springer, and found an OPDUWER, a small pusher boat from the Netherlands. Those are about 5 to 6 meters long, and built individually, often from leftover materials. So with the originals, none were the same- a good start for a personalizeable model, just like the springer tug. I made mine 55 cm long (1:10), and since I am still afraid of round hulls, I made it with a box-shaped hull somewhat like the springer. It is not finished yet, since I lost the building bug ( and working space) with a change of location.
I think a OPDUWER would be worth for you to look at, when you are looking for a new project.
All the best and thank you for your great building log and Albert Kit! I would absolutely pay 250 Euro for the kit, I think that's a very fair price. Shipping might add heavily, though... Maybe ask aeronaut if they want to take your kit in their program, it would fit in.
Paul

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 10:07:49 pm »

Would be nice to have some real scale tops

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 11:16:15 pm »

Thank's for all the feedback guys, I have been busy packing Albert's lately, looks like the Aussie dollar conversion works out nicely for our American friends as a few are currently sailing over to them.

As soon as I have some free time I will have a play with the springer idea and see what I can come up with, there are a few real versions I would like to try.

PaulBemter, I have loved opduwer's for a very very long time and would love to do something with one but I'm having trouble finding plans (can anyone help with this?)  I would also like to have a go at a canadian logging tug but once again plans are hard to find.

Thanks for all the replies

Phill

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

PaulBemter

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 04:22:19 pm »

Hello Phill,
Attached some photos of my unfinished Opduwer.
I found a drawing of a knikspant opduwer ( i dont know the english expression, a hull made from even plains, not round but not boxy either) at:
http://www.cascona.nl/images/opduwer2.jpg
Maybe thats a start.
Another beautiful model would be the Lord Nelson Victoty Tug (Google has many pictures) but this would have to be scale and true, no room for interpretation...
All the best
Paul

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »

She's a cutie Paul. I like the lines and the colour.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.