Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dickie Amphibious conversion  (Read 9429 times)

Stavros

Dickie Amphibious conversion
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:36:40 pm »

Right then I was given this by our illustrious leader to play with and repair and convert to proper Rc.
First job was to strip it down and find out why it wasnt moving and I found a gear had sheared....a couple of minutes later it was fixed ......ok Bodged....now less one gear !!!!!!.

As all the Excisitng radio Gear had to be ripped out a new steering system was needed....well why change something that had allready been invented so to speak....... Futaba 3003 servo was needed to move the steering which also moved the Kort nozzle at the rear,fixing it up to the original idea was very simepl with only a simple hole in the excisting steering arm.
A servo mount was built using a few scrap wood and glued to the frame of the vehicle.

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dikki Amphibious conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »

Top Man Dave!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

Re: Dikki Amphibious conversion
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »

Right so the next part was the repaint of the body so all the external parts were removed and the stickers  the body was then washed down with spirit wipe to remove any glue and grease.
It was then rubbed down with 400 grit dry and washed again with the spirit wipe and sprayed with a high build primer.......well this is where is went ....how can I put it ....PEAR shaped so to speak....and goes to show even I cna get it wrong BIG TIME.
To say the primer reacted was an understatement BUT only on the blacked out windowss...the paint crazed madly.Luckily it was a warm day and it dried quickly...well thats the advantage of using a professional quality high build primer.
The reacted area was rubbed down with 400 and dust coated and built up slowly so it didnt react again.

After the primer had dried I was going to give it a guide coat of black but didnt have any so had to use red.....WARNING dont do this especially if you going to overcaot in whute ....jsut in case it bleeds through !!!!
As I will be spraying this Army cammo it wont matter much as it all with be rubbed down to show any imperfections in the hull....any imperfetions will be filled wth easy light filler and overcoated again with high build and re rubbed down

The most obervant of yuo will now spot how bad the casting of the top now is ....s you can clearly see the imperfections in the plastic.....I have applied a thivk coat of high build proimer so hopefully they will dissapear with  rubbing down .

More will follow next week.
Obviously the bottomm of the vehicle will have to be stripped and made devoid of all the running gear so enable it to be repainted.....Pics of the stripdown will follow

Dave

Stavros

Re: Dickie Amphibious conversion
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »

Yes it has been tested on land and goes pretty well....to be honest it shocked me.......trouble is one Inertia will never speak to me again as I will have to install one of those M tronics thingys as space really is at a premium and I need bec on the esc as there aint no room for another  batt....Sorry Mr Milbs I will go to the corner and write out a 100 lines ...I willNOT SWEAR

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:49:37 pm »

Hi Stavros

You mention above yousing spirit wipe. Is that its proper name???? my local paint dealer just said use panel wipe??? is this just cheap thinners or a special product?

Chears mate

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:08:33 am »

spirit wipe and panel wipe are the same product....some manufacterers call it spirit and vice versa

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 02:57:10 pm »

Ta Dave

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 06:16:03 pm »

I have one of these so will be watching closely.

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »

Right then we now need to rub down the primered bits ready to be undercoated so where do we start.

Tools needed

400 grit DA discs
Rubbing blocks....various

Well we will start with this ...the top of the hull

This is what I use a DA Disc....these come in boxes of 50 available from good automotive trade suppliers Ebay or call in to your local car repair shop and ask them nicely I am sure for the cost of some tea and coffe they will give you some.....10 will last you a long time....when they clog up simply give them a shake and reuse.

This is a quick rub down to see what we got to do

You will see a surface similar to the moon....This DOES NOT want filler on it at all.....All it needs is rubbing down properly.
Let me explain....imagine the surface of a saw...it has teeth yes we know that BUT think of all the highs and lows when you look sideways on the blade.....now if you painted this you would NOT get rid of the highs and lows so to speak as paint will not fill the lows BUT in fact it will.......what happens is paint will lie in the troughs without you realsing it and when you first start to rub down they seem to be there....BUT like Majic they will dissapear...trust ME it works.....When you are rubbing down the paint you are in effect leveling the substrate down....What you have to rememer is that the product that I am using is a Primer FILLER and is in fact thicker then undercoat.

2 mins of rubbing down and the troughs are fast dissapearing

5 mins later and YES they have gone....the blackish shadows that you see are simply the black colour of the plastic showing through and needs more primer filler applying to it

And here it is with Primer filler applied to it

Just to show you that I am using a product readily available to you all here it is....I simply walked into Euro car parts and picked it up off the shelf.....yes there is no dpubt about it it is darned EXPENSIVE at £12 a tin ....BUT trust me on this one....it is what they will use in any body shop for small repairs ....it is that good and can be rubbed down in around half an hour......I left this for a couple of days due to the sheer amount i put on......I troweled it on due to the imperfections on this moulding.......and be WARNED it dont half stink when applied and ALSO when being rubbed down.....U Pol/Wurth/Hycoate Manufacture similar stuff...PLEASE DO NOT thin this is the same stuff as the Yellow high build promer that Halfords sell far from it

The rest of the hull is in the process of being rubbed down and will have the same treatement before undercoat will be applied and Yes I will be spraying a guide coat of black ready for rubbing down

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 04:09:26 pm »

Well as it is now time to do the tub of this Model it's time to do a complete strip down ....a very easy job to do with no pitfalls at all.

The front steering assembly is held on with 4 screws this is the RED bit I am talking about....the steering arm is held on underneath the white steering arms and simply just slot in.

The White arms are simply a push fit on to the steering rods...all you do is use a screwdriver to ease them apart and lift off,

The Front axle is simply held on with 2 screws each side....pic below is of the steering assembly and axles

The rear axle and Kort nozle are yet again a 1 peice affair simply held on with 6 screws and comes off in one peice leaving you with a bare tub......

The last 2 pics shouild really be in the first post but I forgot to put them in...They are of the servo box for the steering

The glue that was used was simply a hot glue gun one

The tub of the model will now be prepped for paint using the method allready stated in the build.......

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:35:53 pm »

Enjoying the thread Dave.
Done a couple of Dickie tug conversions
and I must say that Dickie make it easy
by screwing everything together.
The screws are prone to rust and can either
be replaced by stainless or dipped in petroleum
jelly as I did and they are still good after 4 years.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Mrs Stav

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:57:07 am »

Sorry about the total lack of updates on this but Stav's lap top has had a total meltdown and he is getting another very soon and normal service will be resumed,luckily I backed up all my docs and pics the night before it went down PHEW

Stav
Where's the cake ??? I only joined for the cake !!

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:35 pm »

Right then onwards and upwards so to speak......Right the top has been sanded down totally....the main tub was prepped for undercoat by mean's of a scotchbrite pad far easier especially as it has nooks and crannies and they both have been primered up ready for top coat if the weather is ok tomorrow

As this is going to be a dessert storm type vehicle it will be resprayed With Halfords Ford Sahara Beige which is in fact a full gloss but as no dessert camoed vehicle is gloss I am going to tone it down by spraying it with a matt laquer from Halfords

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 10:20:33 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:05 pm »

Well it was well warm in HQ today so I scotchbrited down the hulls and top ready for paint....degreased them with panel wipe and tack ragged them ready for paint

1st coat then left for 30 mins to flash off

In Total 4 coats were needed to fully cover everything all left for around 20mins/coat just so the paint could flash off

After 30 mins I transferred them back to a clean work top and Catherine started to scream so up she came and a right Royal inspection was carried out

Daddy you sure you have painted this as per forum instructions

Look daddy you missed a bit !

This will be left to breath and harden for around 48 hours then it will be overcoated with a Matt laquer that Halfords sell simply to get rid of the gloss that this colour has

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 04:11:15 pm »

Not going for the same colour scheme as the cardi then
 %% %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 05:31:59 pm »

Heavens above NO.....but if my arm was twisted enough, suppose I could lol

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 08:09:34 pm »

HI Dave, did this finish or is there part of the post missing???

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 09:17:47 pm »

Hi no not finished due to the gearbox stripping again......got it all built and bang....so now looking for another way to power it

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 09:20:46 pm »

Ta mate, mine has a stripped drive to the axle, was thinking of model car gears/// might fit???

Mark
Tugs are for pulling
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.