Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Victory  (Read 19220 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Victory
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:18:02 pm »

A friend of mine recently offered me what he thought was an unfinished model of HMS Victory that a friend of his was building for some time before he sadly passed away, otherwise it was going to be binned, of course I couldn't let that happen so gladly accepted the offer, I picked it up a couple of days ago, it turned out to be a Corel 1:98 plank on frame, the hull was built and there was a large box of other stuff with it.
In the box was all the build sheets/plans a number of packets of wooden blocks/ rigging eyes etc. and couple of books on the Victory, tucked inside one of the books was a number of photos taken at various stages of the build, it turns out the model had indeed been fully built to a very high standard probably several years before the builder passed away and the model had been roughly stored in a shed and suffered a lot of damage as a result she had lost her three masts that I later found pieces of in the bottom of the box along with some broken yardarms and platforms etc. and was covered in a thick layer of dust and dirt, such a pity after the builders excellent work. I have spent some time cleaning her up and the hull is looking a lot better, I intend to keep her safely in my workshop and see if I can summon up the enthusiasm to rebuild her though this type of ship is not really my thing.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Victory
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:00:14 pm »

According to todays newspaper, the original has bee repainted in pink stripes, not the regular yellow. Ostensibly properly researched scientifically and because Hardy couldn't afford bespoke paint, but had to make do with shipyard pigments. Having said that, "history is not what you know, it's what you remember", so the Victory will always be black and yellow.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 04:15:51 pm »

Yes your right there, it'll always be black and yellow/mustard to me,  the builder of this one never painted it whether he just never got around to it or preferred it varnished we'll never know. %%

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:12:39 pm »

She is a fine build and lots of hard work went into her.  I am sure some one would take it off your hands and refurbish her and set her up in a local museum recording the work this gentleman achieved.   

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »

It certainly has been built to a high standard, however the model simply does not and will not look real unless it is painted. I doubt a muumuu would be interested unless she is finished in an accurate way.....Sorry to be a misery, but I really do not appreciate period models that are built simply to show off the builders ability.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 06:34:09 pm »

but I really do not appreciate period models that are built simply to show off the builders ability.

I suppose it is a matter of opinion but period models do tend to be more often built unpainted to show off the construction which is one of the attractive aspects of this type of model. If you have put a huge effort into reproducing the intricate carpentry in miniature then it can be a shame to cover it up with paint. Models don't HAVE to be realistic, just in the same way that some people favour weathering and others don't. There are different ways of presenting models and  it is up to the builder which they prefer.

Personally, in an age when most model boat hulls seem to be either GRP or sheathed in GRP, I think it is nice to see beautifully constructed hulls on display. So many modellers these days reject the idea of making a hull and simply buy one in.

Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 06:41:24 pm »

Suprisingly, the magazines from Deagostini's Build the Victory series discusses the virtues and drawbacks of both options in quite a bit of detail

When I get round to building mine (and the Black Pearl) the decision on which way to go will depend on how well the planking goes.  Painting hides filler much better lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:49:42 pm »

I have no doubt Joe, that what ever you do, she will end up as a spiffing model. If you can use thinned paint then maybe you can preserve the timbered effect but also capture that look of the black and yellow stripes.

I look forward to see wat you do with her in the coming months.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 07:25:35 pm »

According to todays newspaper, the original has bee repainted in pink stripes, not the regular yellow. Ostensibly properly researched scientifically and because Hardy couldn't afford bespoke paint, but had to make do with shipyard pigments. Having said that, "history is not what you know, it's what you remember", so the Victory will always be black and yellow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11908365/Restored-HMS-Victory-raises-eyebrows-with-new-pink-shade.html

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:58 pm »

I am due to meet some friends in the dockyard next week, it will be interesting to see the new colour scheme.

Colin

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 07:43:06 pm »

I am due to meet some friends in the dockyard next week, it will be interesting to see the new colour scheme.

Colin

I do hope she is dressed in the old colours Colin......

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:54:16 pm »

Looks faded to me.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:02:14 pm »

I have photos of her in the old scheme, I will take some next week, weather permitting, and post a comparison.

Colin

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:18:14 pm »

Here are some I took a while ago

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 04:51:56 pm »

i prefer the black and ocre colour scheme as well, it appears to be like a bee, at the past she had a hell of a sting, is the pink for a charity event to celebrate something in the near future?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 06:16:15 pm »

According to the NMRN. she is being painted in her original Battle of Trafalgar livery, I guess the historians know best, somehow I can't see a crew of rough seadogs going much on PINK,,, {-) ARR TIZ PINK ME LADS %% %% %)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »

clearly a colour blind historian
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 08:42:05 pm »

maybe they only had black and white paintings to work from, and someone has finally worked out the colour - or maybe they only had half of the tins of white primer and half in red primer and mixed the two like in the film operation petticoat.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 08:50:54 pm »

Apparently the historians have analysed the various paint layers on the ship to get a definitive colour match.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:30 pm »

A Pink & Black Victory!.... <*<...looks like the dingbats were using an Electropsychometer. instead of one of those ultrasonic generated laser guided computer optimised light refractioning colour matching devices we find in the paint section of the big hardware store  {-) .......................... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:56 am »

Just a question. If someone modelled her in pink, and entered a competition, would they be penalised for 'un-authentic' finish?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:41:57 am »

Just a question. If someone modelled her in pink, and entered a competition, would they be penalised for 'un-authentic' finish?

No, why should it now that the correct colour has been established?

However, if somebody entered a Victory 'as at Trafalgar' with the yellow stripes you could argue that it would be incorrect!

Ship colours in those days tended to change quite a lot, after the Napoleonic wars it was common for the stripes to be white.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 10:45:36 am »

I wonder if it was an early form 'camouflage'?
Weren't some WWII ship painted pink to blend in at sunset?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:41 am »

Yes and I believe it was known as 'Mountbatten Pink'.

72 coats of paint over a couple of centuries? I've known women that could put that on in a morning!

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 10:55:59 am »

I wonder if it was an early form 'camouflage'?[/color]

Quite the opposite I think, helps ensure you didn't fire into the wrong ship!

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.