Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Project - Veteran Yacht Rebuild  (Read 3252 times)

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
Winter Project - Veteran Yacht Rebuild
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:20:05 am »

Back in the 1950s my dad built two model yachts from scratch. One was given to a friend (Brian Jackson, where are you) and he kept the other. It had one outing from Lincolnshire, to Wicksteed Park, and was then given to my nephew. He recently returned it to me after long term storage in his loft, and it is a little worse for wear. As I still have the original plan my son offered to 'tidy it up' so I lent him some bench space. This is the state of the yacht on arrival.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Winter Project - Veteran Yacht Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:34:35 am »

Sorry, the picture didn't appear. Seems I forgot to resize it. Try again.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:01:19 am »

Well' I've had a few developements. My son, after removing the damaged king plank and deck, along with the broken keel, took one look at the damage and gave up! So I now have, more or less, a complete rebuild on my hands. (see photos). I managed to find what I thought were the original plans, in pieces as the old sellotape had given up the ghost, and find that the model is from a kit for a 36 inch restricted class, by a firm called Lance and Mullett of Brighton, so there are no plans, just construction drawings.
The keel, which is solid mahogany, is now in three pieces, most of the deck beams are loose, and the steering quadrant is missing. Apart from that all the other bits seem to be there, so I intend to use as many original parts as I can, apart from the keel and de-laminated deck parts.
I've put in an appeal to Russell Potts (vmyg) for help identifying the firm, and I'm sure he'll have it all at his fingertips.
First job, and the easiest, is to stabilise the stand, as the uprights wobble.

[size=78%] [/size]

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:55:32 pm »

Russell Potts, of the Vintage Model Yacht Group, has kindly identified the model as a 'Lancet', from the Model Maker of June 1953, and sent me a scan of the plan from the magazine. I see the plan is still available, but at a whopping £17.50.
In the meantime, I've stabilized and repainted the stand, and fabricated a new keel. The original was one piece of solid mahogany while the replacement is of 9mm ply. I slightly amended the inside shape in order to fasten it, and find that I now have a gap either side where it meets the hull, which will need filling. Originally these gaps were rammed full of 'plastic wood', but I'm going to use the real thing. At some time I shall have to cast two new lead bulbs, but these can wait till later.
I've used the old keel pieces to make some new deck beams, as the old ones are a bit rough, of different thicknesses, and in a couple of places didn't fit correctly. Unfortunately I notice there is a very slight twist to the hull. This isn't noticeable from a distance, and I haven't the nouse to correct it (if it could be done).
The other thing that needs doing soon is the brass tube which takes the rudder post. The last half inch appears to be coming de-laminated, though it could be that it was a steel tube that was brass plated. Could this be right?
Anyway, latest pictures.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:44:46 am »

The main hull is now complete. New keel, deck surfaces and king plank. Only the rudder assembly to work on now. There's a distinct 'wave' to the deck. Whether that is my building or intentional I don't know, but the boat will not be in competitions so it shouldn't matter too much.
 [size=78%]

I've been cleaning up the deck fittings, which were covered in paint and dirt. I can't remember if they were painted originally, or if it happened later. I could have used new screw eyes rather than go to the trouble, but I want to use as much of the original boat as possible. The horses were rather bent, but I've straightened them out as much as possible. The mast step looks like a piece of copper tube that's been adapted.

Painting next, and in keeping with the concept I shall use ordinary household paint, as that is what my father would have used. He always had a lot spare![/size]

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:09:03 pm »

Well done. I am sure the results are very satisfying for you. Personally, I get much more satisfaction from refurbishment than from new kit builds. :-))
Bob.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9920.aspx

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 02:51:42 pm »

Thank you for the kind comment. I am really enjoying this project.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »

Things are going a little slowly at the moment, as the weather is not conducive to hanging around the garage long, even with a small heater going. I've also had to wait for assorted coats of paint to dry. The hill has had three coats of all three colours, and two of varnish. I've stuck as close as I can to the original colour scheme, though the blue should probably be a bit darker. All the deck fittings have been reattached, ready for rigging.

The mast and spars are in good order, but the rigging is all to pot and the sails need a good wash. So the next job is to strip them off and get them clean. I've also had to buy a steering quadrant, as there wasn't one in the bits and pieces, so the rudder post needs thinning down to fit it.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 07:18:51 am »

Your doing a fine job Joppy  :-))

As for the lead bulb if you don't fancy moulding one then you could buy a lead bulb fishing weight and cut it down the centre. Then if you really need to you can body filler over it and get a nice finish. Body filler sticks well to lead. See my 'Lena' thread for the lead bulb and my 'Alantis' thread to see how body filler stuck to the lead on the keel.

Looking forward to seeing it on the water..... U2
It'll look better when it's finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.