Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Atlantis ...... Almost  (Read 8115 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Robbe Atlantis ...... Almost
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:18:25 am »

I have an idea, O0 and before I start (unlike last time :embarrassed: ) I am going to ask some questions, so here goes

Firstly, my idea...... I like the idea of a big yacht because I sail in the sea. After spending some time on this thread I have come under the spell of the robbe Atlantis :o .

I have decided that I am going to build my own version but use the sail set from the original.

I plan to start work on the drawings very soon. There are enough photos all over here and the Internet to get the details done.

Question time.....
Before I buy a sail set does anyone have one lying around that they might want to sell? Or any other bits or pieces for that matter.
 One kind member of this site has offered to see if he can find his original plans and will scan them for me if he can find them, but if he can't and anyone else has any that would help no end.

One of the 'Items' noted as needed to finish the kit was a 'fixings kit' does anyone know what the kit contains? It seems a little costly for a bag of screws so it must contain something I haven't thought of.

I understand it's a big project but I usually do a reasonable job and I am going to try and do this justice.

Any tips, advice spare parts or anything at all that will help me complete this project will be welcome. Thanks.

Coming to a forum near you very soon Alan's ' Alantis'....... U2

It'll look better when it's finished!

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
Re: Robbe Atlantis ...... Almost
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

Looking forward to this :)
"I like big boats and a I cannot lie...."

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 05:39:05 pm »

Me too :-))

Attention all Atlantis owners, here's a chance to show off your beautiful boats. I'm looking for photos and ideas for my Alantis...

I think the drawing might be started tonight. I was hoping for some plans but have come to realise that there aren't any, just assembly instructions. Never mind I like drawing. Photos to follow....... U2

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:39:39 pm »

US2 - First on your agenda should be - think about making the ballast removeable! If you don't, you will be cursed with launching a 35lb yacht.

I modified my ship by replacing the winch servo with a sail-arm servo. You will find plenty who will argue for the former, but I could never get on with it as too complicated and a pig  to re-rig if it comes undone! I went for the simplicity of the sail-arm and when sailing in light to medium winds, which I prefer, I cannot tell the difference so why bother with a winch! Sailing in stronger winds is another matter.

Helpful links -
http://www.busybeas.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.html

https://plus.google.com/photos/107161168091837550562/albums/5651828941581120033?banner=pwa&authkey=CNyE7_6PxPLngwE

Bob.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »

Bob, thanks for the reply and photos. I started my drawings tonight and I'm already struggling. She's a beast isn't she! It took ages just to sellotape the papers together as my table wasn't big enough to fit them and they kept trying to fall off.....anyway

I see the length is 1380mm and have tried to work out the distances from the lowest part of the keel (the rear of the rudder to be precise) to the top of the rudder and get it to about 16cm vertically. I have also guesstimated the distances between the tip of the nose to the first mast as 42 cm and 87 to the second. Is that about right?

To all Atlantis owners I would love as many dimensions as possible if you don't mind ( preferably in cm but any will help as I can convert them)

Widths of the deck at 10 cm intervals for example so I can get a reasonable deck shape....

The height from the bottom of the keel to the deck at 10 cm  intervals or less even.....

I don't expect anyone to do all this measuring but even if a couple of owners can give a couple of measurements each it would help no end....... Thanks in advance...... U2

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:35:23 am »

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:45:17 am »

Hi Longshanks, I searched for the Atlantis plans but couldn't find any. I didn't fancy buying some similar ones that I then needed to scale up and change. That's why I decided to draw my own but I appreciate you looking  :-) .

More drawing today and photos soon........ U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 05:00:33 pm »

Nemo I've been giving some thought to the removable keel and I can't quite get my head around it.

If it comes off so as to enable easier launching of a heavy yacht then I would have to somehow fit the keel once it's in the water. Or fit it before launching in which case it may as well be permanent or have I missed something?

I'm thinking of going down the plastic wheeled trolley route as there is a ramp near where I sail. U2

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:53:23 pm »

My Pride of Baltimore has an aluminum fin which will have some 20 pounds of ballast on it.  The fin slides into what's essentially a dagger-board trunk and held in by s single brass bolt and nut.
I went with this based on a similar sized Grand Banks fisherman model I saw some pictures of.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »

Nemo I've been giving some thought to the removable keel and I can't quite get my head around it.
If it comes off so as to enable easier launching of a heavy yacht then I would have to somehow fit the keel once it's in the water. Or fit it before launching in which case it may as well be permanent or have I missed something?I'm thinking of going down the plastic wheeled trolley route as there is a ramp near where I sail. U2

Hi U2: The Atlantis long keel is not removable - it is formed with the hull moulding. As I understand it, the ballast is poured into the inside of the hollow keel and allowed to harden. If this is done, the ballast becomes one with the weight of the vessel. I was advised by another builder, that he placed a membrane in the keel before inserting the ballast, thus allowing the solid ballast to be removable. By fitting some sort of handle, the ballast can then be added or removed, allowing the ship to be much lighter and easier to launch, after which the ballast can be (gently) put in place. As my Atlantis was built with the solid ballast in place I had no option but to put up with it.
To see my aid to single-handed launching see my posts here - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51898.0.html

I have adapted an anglers trolley to wheel my Atlantis from car-park to the lake ramp.
Hope this helps.
Bob.

BTW - I will PM you later with some measurements.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »

Bob you are a gent, thank you very very much for taking the time and trouble to help me out. Now that I have those measurements I can start to get a better idea of the shape. Tomorrow is looking good for a Deck plan drawing. Once I've got a decent amount done I'll post a photo.

As for the removable keel weight I now understand where you are coming from, I thought you meant the keel came off to help carry it to the water and then got re fitted. I should have realised. I can't wait to get on with it now........

Jerry, I have a similar setup on 'Lena' with a lead weight on a fin. A copper tube slides into another tube and is located with a screw inside the boat. I like those photos very nice boats.

Thanks again Nemo.   U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:16 am »

Nemo, the hooks are a good idea I might try and incorporate some into my design.  :-))  U2

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »

U2 - if you incorporate the removeable ballast you may not need the hooks!  {-)  O0

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 07:27:28 am »

I have given considerable thought about the ballast being removable and have decided against it. Why?, well the most difficult part of this boat (IMHO) is the keel. If I can make the keel I am sure I will carry on and finish this boat. The keel, from what I have read has to be very very heavy, about 11 kilos in total and my idea is to get that weight as low as possible. I am going to try and make a mould slightly smaller than the finished item. Then once moulded I can cover it with resin and filler to shape it.
 I intend making it around 9 kilos and then I have a couple spare to sit in the bottom of the hull to correct how she sits in the water. It may well be that it sits directly over what's already been made but I won't know until the time comes.

As for the drawings, well, I have made a decent start and hope to have enough to start my ALANTIS thread very soon....... :-))  U2

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 05:00:56 pm »

Hello,

IF you reduce the ballast weight, you will reduce the sailing performance of the Boat.
The size of the Rig is made to match the ballast !!.
Putting ballast inside the boat will NOT bring it back.

Just a few words of warning !.

John.  :((
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 08:09:17 pm »

I would definitly stick to how the lead positioned in robbes original. It's always going to be a heavy lump to move and I think your better off spending your time on a decent way of moving than messing about with removable ballast

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:13 pm »

Hello Jaydee and Tom, thanks for taking the time to read and reply. However due to my unclear description you have both got the wrong end of the stick, or should that read I have given you the wrong end of the stick? Well anyway here it is again but with a better description......

When I wrote[size=78%][quote [/size][/size][size=78%]my idea is to get that weight as low as possible. And then [/size] I intend making it around 9 kilos and then I have a couple spare to sit in the bottom of the hull to correct how she sits in the water

I actually meant to get the weight as low down below the waterline not as low in weight, and by having a couple left over I meant a 9 kilo moulded keel (2 kilo below robbe's weight) and then I have 2 kilos left to move slightly forward or backwards (not to be removable but just to move until I locate the optimum positioning and to replicate robbe's forward aft left right balance) this 9 plus 2 would then give me the same 11 kilo as an original Atlantis....... U2

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 11:46:20 pm »

Hello,

In your post - - ( sit in the bottom of the hull to correct how she sits in the water ) would not work, but on the bottom of the keel it would.
But, 2 Kgs is a lot of Lead, how do you intend to blend it into the keel - - without raising it from its "original" position ?.
Why not make and shape a lead weight, then attach it to the keel, to get the boat correct Fore and Aft when floating ?.
Save a lot of work !.

John.  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 07:38:53 am »

Hi Jaydee, That was my original plan and then I thought that if I make it the same size and shape as the Atlantis it wouldn't be too far out. One thing I want to avoid is altering the smooth flow that Robbe created from the stem to the bottom of the keel.

I made that mistake on my first build and ended up with a removable keel that works well but unfortunately has a 'hook' that if I'm not careful gets stuck in seaweed. Luckily she has a motor and I can usually avoid that but this new boat I intend building will be sail only.

The way I intend to achieve this is the same as in reply 13, and like I said its whether I can achieve the desired effect which will determine the continuation of this build. Let's see what happens.

As for sitting the extra 2 kilos in the bottom of the hull, mmm my bad, again :embarrassed:  I must learn to be more precise when describing the ramblings that go on in my head.......

After moulding 9 kilos of the 11 total into a near as possible to Robbe's original keel size and shape (working from photos only and no measurements) I hope to be able to add the final couple of kilos to the top of the lead sitting in the keel already. In doing this I am only adding to what is already there.

Think of it like this. You take an original Atlantis keel. You cut off the top 2 kilos. Now you have to add 2 kilos to get it back to its original weight. As you pour it back in you manipulate the hull so it sets slightly forward or aft according to how you want to sit the boat in the water. I said 'in the bottom of the hull' but as you pointed out this wouldn't work, I actually meant into the top of the keel.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 04:14:29 pm »

Wow I just came across this thread. It says 730 days have passed since the last posting. Well just to update. I built it, it's fantastic and photobucket removed all my photos from my build thread. It now sits as an ornament in my bathroom but still gets the batteries charged and goes on the occasional outing. I'm currently making some new sails and adding a boom. If I can get a photo on here I will.

g4yvm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:59 pm »

Any pics yet?

David

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 09:03:03 pm »

G4yvm......
 Hi David, it's been a long time since I visited this forum as I have been busy on a different project. BUT I am happy to say that there are photos available if you go to Yachts and sail and look under 'Alantis' not aTlantis. I gave up with this site when a fault on photobucket took all my photos off and therefore made my blogs useless NOT A FAULT OF THIS EXCELLENT SITE!...... View them quickly as on June 1st the photobucket rules change again and if you are a non paying customer like me with more than 25mb (how much is that?) then all photos will be blurred....... >>:-(

I've been busy building another boat, although it's not a model I might put photos on here soon as I'm sure there will be a lot of interest......... U2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.