Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My First First Tug - TID TUG MAR2447 - Help Please  (Read 4846 times)

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My First First Tug - TID TUG MAR2447 - Help Please
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:01:34 am »

This is my first Tug and in fact my first scale boat build - TID Tug Plan - MAR 2447 - 1:24 length 890mm Beam 220mm

I learnt many things from my first build (Vic Smeed Musketeer) one of those things was to get the hardware in your hands at the start of the build ! I didn't on that occasion but thankfully my Dremel saved the day and I was able to fit the motor after a lot of 'burring away' at Ply that save for the Dremel would have been virtually impossible  <:(

I have researched the builds on this site to prepare me for my TID build :-) the bar is set very high  :-) :-))

This time I want to be in a position to have the Motor, ESC, Battery, Coupling, Shaft, & Propeller before I commence the build

There must be a lot of these Tugs about, built and sailed by those with far more knowledge and experience than me - can you guys help me please ?

I would like my Tug to be powerful

What motor, esc, battery, coupling, shaft & propeller should I source ? and where from ?

My build will be starting in about four weeks - another thing my first build taught me was that not all things are available when you want them ! So I want to start sourcing the hardware now

Finally any tips about the build ?

Thanks in advance Clive

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: My First First Tug - TID TUG MAR2447 - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:18:30 am »

I'm not a tug man, but I would suggest talking to Brian at MMM. He knows a thing or two about model tugs.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:00:16 pm »

Hi,
       I have an MMM Tid built to their plans (approx. 27 inches length) I have a 12volt 1.5amp lead acid battery a small Buhler motor, 50mm 4 blade brass prop, MMM prop shaft. If you want power I would go for either one of MMM's T12 motors or maybe a Caldercraft 900T running on 12 volts with a 7ah lead acid but fit a Kort nozzle as they don't steer too well in reverse, I visit Balne moor regularly now and they are the guys in the know with great advice and loads of knowledge. I ran my Foylegarth fitted with a 70mm Kort nozzle and Raebosch 70mm 4 blade Kort prop 12v lead acid 900T motor and she would run all day on 1 battery no overheating even when towing. My new tug is a Norton cross (the Anita.C) fitted with an MMM T12 70mm Kort nozzle with a Prop shop 5 bladed brass Kort prop on 12v lead acid once again she runs all day on 1 battery and no overheating pulls and tow's great have a look at the "North Sea winches" post from Balne moor and you can see the boat and the results. Hope this helps and if you need any more info just let me know.
     Cheers,
        Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:01:18 am »

Hello Clive,

Here's an interesting site that might be useful to you for your build: -

http://www.medwaymaritimetrust.org.uk/tidtugs/index.html

Regards,

Ray.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:25 am »

A Mfa 800 would be spot on a 900 motor or T12 would be far to powerful for this size of tug

Dave

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:34:50 am »

Thanks all for advice  :-)

Clive

MLT44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:30 pm »

Hi Clive
          I had one for a few years, now l've started with a new one. This time it will be scratch, I bought a plan from Traplet. This time l'm going to use a 775 from components-shop, they are high torque , low amp. I hope this is some help to you.
             Regards Dave

NEVER   GIVE   IN

bill stafford

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:24:18 am »

have you thought about using a 545/540 w 3:1 g/box , powerfull+not too hard on batteries,as you are driving a 50mm prop approx. ??
typical current draw would be 2/3.5 A.
 this is old school approach ,but it works.
more bucks , would be to go brushless, but it would do away w the g/box, g/box could be built simply, along the lines of some of the com versions
regards bill s

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 01:09:37 am »

Here is a link to my TID build. 1/24 scale RC with smoker unit. All scratch built. Hope it's useful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747254
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.