Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Films of the Naval WW1  (Read 2458 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Films of the Naval WW1
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:14:08 pm »

Just in case anyone into WW1 is interested, the British Film Institute are selling DVDs of the 1927 film 'Coronel and the Falklands' at the reduced price of £9.99. It's got a very good write up.
Also and from the same era is Q-Ships, starring Harold Auten VC and a certain chap called Jellicoe playing themselves!

Both films are good enough to give details for builders.

Tony :-))

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Films of the Naval WW1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »

I have this as well and there are some very fine shots of ships playing other ships but it all dates from ww1 so as a historical record is interesting. The characters are all over the top with slanty eyed evil looking germans and calm and collected english which is all rather amusing!

Quite enjoyable and the casting brings out the real hatred there was for the germans in ww1 something which is not often commented upon.

However the photographic record is definatley worth having as video shots of ships of this period are rare.

Geoff

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:44 pm »

They're definitely worth looking at for atmosphere and just to see how much smoke was generated under coal!

Have you looked at some of the other stuff on the BFI, including a 5min clip of a visit to Iron Duke and, even earlier, a 5min clip of the main barbette guns in (possibly) an Admiral class being worked. The use of a dining chair in that one is quite comical.

Tony

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:59 am »

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:38:48 am »

That's the one I've got, by today's standards very cheesy acting and very propaganda oriented but the views of the ships are fantastic- well worth a watch, especially if you're interested in how the Navy worked, trained and enjoyed themselves almost 100 years ago.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 01:33:45 pm »

Just got the "Empires Shield" and found it really rather good. As my interest is primarily in battleships the last two chapters are right up my street! There are shots here that I have never seen before and the battleships in a row firing salvos are awsome!!

Recommended  :-)

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.