Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook (with apologies)  (Read 5831 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Facebook (with apologies)
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:50:10 pm »

I am not a user of Facebook, but am trying to make friends by applying the same principles. Every day I walk down the street and tell passersby what I have eaten, how I feel, what I did the night before, what I will do later, and with whom. I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day. I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them. And it works just like Facebook. I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, and a psychiatrist.
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Facebook (with apologies)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »

Exactly!  ok2

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »

If there is anything that can be uninvented this would be my number one choice . Ido not mind advancement in but not this mindless trash .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 02:23:51 pm »

Have you noticed all the great things that happen in peoples life they instantly  show it?  It's like keeping up with the Jones's type thing. Me, i don't have a Facebook page, a computer ( this is my wifes ) a tablet, a laptop or a mobile phone. Me a ludite? not really, i use to be a senior computer operator at BAE Systems in the past and i allso like watching The Gadget Show, i like how new technoligy works but that doesn't mean to say i want or need it.   Regards, Dave.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 02:34:23 pm »

If there is anything that can be uninvented this would be my number one choice . Ido not mind advancement in but not this mindless trash .
David

I couldn't agree more, but it is part of a bigger trend.
Some news channels, especially on the Web, are slowly being reduced to click-bait. It is kind off turning everything into the McDonalds model. Lowest common denominator, sacrifice quality for high turnover.
Just because it is the number 1 seller does not mean it is quality. We have the same reduction in our education system, where league tables seem to have perversely driven standards down.
Just because social networking is the number 1 trend, does not mean it is a force for good.

BTW, this is timely, in today's paper (not The Sun or Daily Wail) http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2015/oct/15/life-without-smartphones-in-pictures
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

inertia

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »

Physics states that any system left to its own devices will eventually descend into chaos. It's called entropy.
People are much the same, except they descend into a state of self-absorbed torpor.
There is nothing quite as depressing as sitting at a dinner table where all but you are staring blankly into a small screen and silently twitching their thumbs. It's usually at this point that I feel the urge to pass wind - very loudly - as my comment on the proceedings.
That an acquaintance admitted to losing his mobile telephone down the bowl of the toilet in the pub seems to make a statement about the world in general, and not just Little Bill's strange personal habits.
Maybe it's just me getting older.
DM

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 04:03:58 pm »

If you all don't like it then don't look at it. Nobody forces you. Each to his own.
Jerry.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:34 pm »

The wife recently tried to clean her phone - by accident - it wasn't till the machine was half full of water she realised it was in there - luckily it didn't get to the spin cycle  :}

Anyway my boss has let her have his old iphone 5 - (though she needed to get a nano sim card, their getting smaller every day), the old htc is being heated in a bowl of dry rice - we know it still works as its being given to our youngest who said 'why is it when you wreck your phone, two days later you get a replacement and an iphone at that, but I abuse mine and I have to wait two years' hehehe - the youth of today don't know I still work on the 'having to earn it' rule.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »

I am not a user of Facebook, but am trying to make friends by applying the same principles. Every day I walk down the street and tell passersby what I have eaten, how I feel, what I did the night before, what I will do later, and with whom. I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day. I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them. And it works just like Facebook. I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, and a psychiatrist.

Facebook has changed .You are talking about how friends might talk to each other , ok but I think your description is a bit OTT.
You may or may not know on FB there are many good pages dedicated to modelling and boats with lot of great photo and info . FB is a social platform for people to use in many different ways.

John

inertia

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 05:22:50 pm »

If you all don't like it then don't look at it. Nobody forces you. Each to his own.
Jerry.

I think you've missed the point, m'duck.
It's not me looking at it that's in debate (why would I?). It becomes a nuisance (at the very least) when everyone else becomes totally immersed in it as opposed, for example, to doing complicated stuff like talking to others in the same room face-to-face. That photo gallery that Mark P found in The Guardian is priceless only because the scenarios are so real.
Next Christmas I shall turn off the WiFi router for the day.  <*<

And another thing....................

DM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 05:24:14 pm »

Whoa, whoa. I posted this as a bit of fun as I thought it was amusing, not a critical review of social media. I didn't want to start a flame war hence the apologies.

My children use social media to a greater or lesser extent so each to his own.

Please stop the sniping.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 10:10:12 pm »

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:50:48 pm »

Used properly, Facebook is very handy. We use it to keep in touch with distant family or friends travelling overseas, it's much better, and cheaper, than the telephone. As long as you restrict who can see your posts - friends only - then there's no real problem.

Peter.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 11:43:25 pm »

I can not escape knowing about Facebook simply because it always in my face hence the name  as has been said before if you don't like it don't use it ,so I don't . Your first post is funny I'll give you that.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 08:09:34 pm »

I  have never used Facebook and I probably never will as I can't see the need for it, but that's just me.
However, I was sent this the other day - I assume it is a joke but I don't get it! Please don't bother explaining it to me, just enjoy it if it is funny. O0

A dying granny was talking to her granddaughter:
"I may die any minute so I want you to inherit my farm including the house, tractor, the farmhouse and all the livestock and £22,389,630.00 cash".
The granddaughter replied: "Wow!!" 'Thanks granny, I didn't know you even had a farm & all this wealth! Where is it??"
Granny says with her last dying breath....."It's on my Facebook!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 10:56:36 pm »

Jerry.

C'mon that's a bit unfair. <*<
It is insulting to be at a movie, restaurant, library, etc with nitwits chattering away on mobiles, etc,  the least they could do is leave the room.
The idiocy, is that everyone survived without Facebook, mobiles et al, now they control your life.
Oh I forgot my mobile or I forgot my Ipad have to go back and get it can't be without it, Duh, your life will continue. %% %%
When I am dealing with anyone and they answer a mobile I terminate the dealing, it's the height of rudeness.  <*<

If you haven't worked it out I don't have a mobile, Ipad or access facebook/social media, et al.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 05:58:52 am »

;)......... RAAArtyGunner says ............. "The idiocy, is that everyone survived without Facebook, mobiles et all, now they control your life"

Well yes and no  :o....when completing an electronic form to return to our Australian Taxation Office or Centrelink Department, a common question is ...'how would like the Department to contact you?

1. by SMS message?
2. by e-mail?

So even of you nominate the second option.....by e-mail.......the latter Department continues to send SMS messages  <*<...so you then have two secondary options

1. obey the SMS message and telephone them back quoting the special reference number in the SMS message to ensure you don't need to wait for 3 3/4 hours listening to recorded music interdispersed  with voice communication advising you and your call are important
2. ignore the SMS message and suffer the consequences of a computer generated paper posted communication which advises of a penalty as you disregarded the original request in their SMS message

My local financial institution...a Credit Union registered in NSW who have happily provided a safe haven for my meagre savings for the past 40 years confirm by posted paper communication that they will never e-mail or send SMS message to their clients.....
Well..... >>:-(. a few weeks back, I did receive an SMS message purportedly from 'IllawarraCU' asking me to clear my PC cache  O0.....so I sent them an e-mail explaining the content of the SMS, and they did respond by e-mail that NO :embarrassed:...it wasn't spam   :police:

I politely responded again via e-mail that I have deleted the SMS and will not respond to the request..........

I have yet to hear from  IllawarraCU.......... :o .......

So....to respond to the original point from  RAAArtyGunner....I do believe that voice communication via a mobile telephone , and e-mail facility are now indispensable aids to efficient and time responsive communications in this day and age, however I have no need to receive SMS messages and to review never-ending always changing 'maybe type comments' associated with Facebook type media........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 09:12:06 am »

<*<

If you haven't worked it out I don't have a mobile, Ipad or access facebook/social media, et all.

Surely Forums are a kind of Social Media  O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:57 am »

?????
It is not Russia that wants to take over the world its Facebook O0 O0

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/web-culture/how-facebook-plans-to-get-you-to-spend-all-your-time-on-facebook-20151017-gkbjht.html

I do not think email is a type of social media it is writing, AKA communicating via the internet.

Social media is the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration, examples are twitter, facebook and so on, email is not.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 09:58:41 am »

'Surely Forums are a kind of Social Media'  O0 O0

Quite right! I found the original post funny because it beautifully summarises the behaviour of people who are self obsessesd with the minutiae of their lives and the assumption that other people are equally interested.

But we should distinguish between the technology and the use to which it is put. I think most people (if not all!) would agree that mobile phones are very useful despite the fact that some idiots continue to think it is OK driving with one glued to their ear. Texts are a really useful and cheap way of checking that your kids are OK when they are off on holiday on their own, particularly when they are abroad.  Similarly, Facebook can be very useful in keeping people in contact as some earlier posts have correctly stated and of course, as Ned says, Forums (he didn't say email) are just another form of social media, as is Twitter  %)

Being deaf, text based communication is very important to me as using the phone can be an ordeal (press 1 for garble,garble,garble, press 2 for eargh,eargh, eargh etc.) So being able to email is a great advantage. Better still is the 'live chat' facility now offered by a lot of organisations. I was recently able to sort out my car insurance and change my mobile phone using this in a way what simply would not have been possible using the phone itself.

New technology brings changes, some good, some bad but essentially people remain much the same.

Colin

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 11:22:05 am »

for some people, who now live on their own in a small flat out in the stix, who sadly no longer have a partner to pass the time of day with on a regular basis, Facebook can be a god send.

Jim
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 11:48:01 am »

for some people, who now live on their own in a small flat out in the stix, who sadly no longer have a partner to pass the time of day with on a regular basis, Facebook can be a god send.
Jim

Well said Jim.   "It's good to talk."
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 10:35:13 pm »

The problem is not with the technology but the way it's used. I agree that it is very rude to use mobiles in restaurants, theatres etc, and that some people become obsessive with their use. However, to say that we got by without the likes of Facebook in days gone by, while true, is also true of the telephone, motor car, electricity and a whole host of things we now take for granted. While mobile phones can be intrusive, and extremely annoying at times, nobody is forced to use Facebook - if you don't approve of it, or just don't want to use it, the answer is simple - don't.

As I said in an earlier post, I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family and find it extremely useful. I also use SMS as a convenient way to communicate but, if I need to go into more detail, I ring because as Martin said, it's good to talk.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.