Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using rattle cans outdoors  (Read 2731 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Using rattle cans outdoors
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:26:50 pm »

I've only got as far as the first coat of primer on this my very first build, but it's already patently obvious that if I stick with brushing, it's going to take longer to paint the boat than it does to build it  :((

Now, I'm brushing because I can't spray in the house and the only cover available outside is a garden shed that's full of stuff.  I have no experience of using rattle cans in anything other than optimum conditions, so the question is - how feasible is it to use them to paint a boat outdoors in the winter?  Realistically, I'm looking at spraying just inside the open shed door, which from the POV of temperature and humidity means outside, only sheltered from the wind.

Is that doomed to failure?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

inertia

Re: Using rattle cans outdoors
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:32:37 pm »

Norman
If you spray much below 15C then eventually the paint will craze. It might take days or months, but it will happen. I speak only about Halfords paints. Enamels might be totally different.
Dave M

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »

I have painted in winter but you have to be careful. Damp day is a no no . Small items I take out side ,spray then straight  inside to the warm . I would not tackle any thing big like a hull , to long out side. The weather at the moment should be fine if it is a nice day . Just got to be on the ball.

john

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:04:59 pm »

Make a cardboard box bigger than the boat.

Paint the boat

Put a lamp 25 watts above the boat

Put the box above the boat

The heat of the lamp is going to dry the paint

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:12 pm »

In normal temps like we have at the moment, try spraying in a gazebo with sides, put a fan heater inside to raze the temperature. BUT you must wear a good filter mask. Keep the sides closed until the paint has gone off.

As an alternative have a word with you local car repare shop, they might let you spray in their booth as it is only a small item, worth a punt

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:10:06 pm »

As long as your careful you can still get a decent finish working outside, I completely re sprayed and lacquered this last week then the temperature was in the 15-17 range. The dry weather was definitely very important. This was done with rattle cans.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 11:36:10 am »

Yea you can get a good finish

What  I've done in the past, is heat the can in a pitcher of luke warm water and take them to the shed run back in and get the model.  Give it a quick spray and back into the house with model and can.

Works for me many times

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:10:16 pm »

I'm committed to brushing this first one but I'm not really that fussed about the finish as so much of it is a try-out.  I will try to speed up the drying with a bity of warmth though.

For the next one, I do rather fancy giving it a go with the rattle cans warmed up a bit beforehand and bringing the model back into the warmth PDQ, so we shall see ...

Thank you gentlemen.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 05:37:03 pm »

Hi all, Some years ago I had to panic make a small plastic yacht kit in February.  Same problems as said above, I tried using a hair dryer to warm up the hull and the warm water for the paint can as in suggestion above and it all went well.

Before I did this I was getting that orange peel effect on the hull as the paint dried on its way.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.