Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I will never understand women!  (Read 15256 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I will never understand women!
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:30 am »

Just need to add a little bit more - a verbal contract is just as binding as a written one, or so I'm lead to believe. O0

Regards,

Ray.

That it is.

However you had input into the age changes, namely by exercising your right to vote.
Therefore, verdict in favour of the defence AKA government
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2015, 08:42:44 am »

People like to say that 'Baby Boomers' have had it easy and have compromised the aspirations of the younger generation. But they don't seem to realise that it was tough for us too with mortgage rates approaching double figures and taking all of one salary to meet. In our first house I made most of the furniture myself and my Wife made many of her clothes, something which would seem unbelievable today. We didn't even have a TV for the first couple of years and then it was black and white! No iPhones in those days.

Colin

Eloquently put Colin.  Largely mirrors my experience and thoughts, being born in '46 when average male life expectancy was not that much beyond retirement age so 65 made economic sense back then.  Mortgage rates did go over 10% under the Wilson regime but high inflation did at least bring down repayment proportion of income over time.
When my wife and I moved into our first house, with just a bed a cooker and a few bits of second hand furniture, the mortgage took the majority of our income.  Making furniture.  No TV for years.  All as familiar as me having to put in 50 to 60 hour weeks when the babies arrived.

Did it help me understand women?  Not really but at least adversity shared is like magnets, learning to keep like poles together and limit dissimilar pole conflicts.

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2015, 10:03:33 am »

We do indeed to be going off topic but perhaps into a more interesting area than recirculating old jokes.
It is very easy to play the ‘I had it tough in my day’ card which is what I have done above although it probably doesn’t cut much ice with the younger generation who are concerned about their current problems rather than on ancient history.
But behind all the tit for tat arguments there is a very real major problem. People are living longer but not necessarily well. Medical science has yet to have much success in halting the ageing process itself. Not so many years ago I wouldn’t see a doctor from one year to the next. Now I have two lots of eyedrops for glaucoma, pills for blood pressure and an arthritis treatment and yesterday I had a very expensive NHS hearing aid replaced because the old one developed a fault. I am also scheduled to have an MRI scan to try and identify the arthritis damage which will probably result in further treatment. This all costs a fortune although I paid for two cararact ops myself. I am hardly alone and so far, unlike others on here have not developed a major trauma such as cancer although I know many who have. Somehow all this has to be paid for and the current setup is no longer fit for purpose.
The idea of a standard retirement date after which we retire to comfy arm chairs or go off on world cruises depending on our means is no longer viable. Personally I don’t like the idea and think it makes more sense to wind down to match your declining energy levels either in your current employment or by finding something new. Having part time work commitments makes you feel useful, brings in extra cash and gets you out of bed in the morning and still leaves you with plenty of leisure. However it is easier said than done in many cases. I am able to write and do computer work which is not physically demanding but still brings in a decent amount of supplementary income. So instead of spending my retirement time precariously up a ladder attempting to clean out the gutter I can do a bit of work and pay somebody else to do the job at no risk to myself – result all round. It’s not so easy for those whose careers have been spent in physically demanding work and who may no longer have the strength to continue with this after their sixties. Their skills may be less transferable although it is usually possible to find something that will bring in part time income with a bit of imagination.

I think it is inevitable that older people will have to work longer but on a more flexible basis and perhaps doing things that they enjoy rather than what they have to do to generate a full time income. Many hobbies can be developed in this way.
Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2015, 10:29:13 am »

Just remembered something else....

While considering retirement I asked for a pensions forecast which was duly received and in a timely manner. Good so far....but, wait a minute. The goalposts were also moved in the opposite direction >>:-( . That is to say, any contributions made BEFORE the age of 19yrs will not be considered when calculating your qualifying years for the full state pension !

I still qualify, but all this manipulation of OUR MONEY, just gets under my skin.

Regards,

Ray.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 12:17:39 pm »

I was lucky, I was made redundant at 51, because of being a member of the electrical industry pension I was entitled to my pension, on top of that the lump sum payout from the redundancy plus the lump sum from the pension, all meant I could pay off the mortgage. so mortgage free and a pension of £9000 a year - I still had to get a new job, but I have no responsibilities or stress now, and its strictly 9-5.
it should mean when I reach state pension age, I will be able to retire with a reasonable degree of comfort.
Grendel

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2015, 02:54:00 am »

A little more enlightenment on the subject.

:o :o :o Don't get it wrong

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2015, 12:26:04 pm »

%) %) %)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »

It baffles me why men complain they don't understand women. If I woke up one morning and found I understood my wife then I would expect to be spoon fed breakfast. In that state of mind they'd never risk taking my straps off.

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

It baffles me why men complain they don't understand women. If I woke up one morning and found I understood my wife then I would expect to be spoon fed breakfast. In that state of mind they'd never risk taking my straps off.

Dave

I agree... Makes life more interesting 😊
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I will never understand women!(more enlightenment)
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2015, 07:30:58 am »

More enlightenment to help you understand them  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:17 pm »

O0
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.