Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portgarth choices  (Read 2541 times)

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
Portgarth choices
« on: October 17, 2015, 03:16:40 pm »

Now the Northlight (Maggie) is nearing completion, I've got to admit I'm hooked, and part converted from Aircraft building lol.
Always fancied a Tug and quite keen on playing with towing etc.

My thoughts are now on "What next" and I'm leaning towards a big tug, having done lots of searching on the net and on this site, I think I'm 98% leaning towards Mobile Marine Models Portgarth, and have emailed them for availability of the hull etc, as I know they must be at Blackpool this weekend (sods law I'm in Blackpool next weekend  <:( ). A few observations I've seen and read (and in fact a second hand model of the Model Slipways Vliestroom I had a few years back), I'm not sure about using plastic sheet. The Vliestroom had gone brittle, something I don't think would happen with ply, not only that I find I'm more at home with wood.

So questions ?

1/ Am I biting off more than I can handle ? (I have built many models over my lifetime, but I'm talking Billings and Keil-Kraft)
2/ If I go for the Bow Thruster option, what size would I need and from who as MMM do not list one ?
3/ Do I look for alternative motors to the MMM T12 (Fan blower or WHAT ELSE ) ?

HELP ?

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Portgarth choices
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »

Now the Northlight (Maggie) is nearing completion, I've got to admit I'm hooked, and part converted from Aircraft building lol.
Always fancied a Tug and quite keen on playing with towing etc.

My thoughts are now on "What next" and I'm leaning towards a big tug, having done lots of searching on the net and on this site, I think I'm 98% leaning towards Mobile Marine Models Portgarth, and have emailed them for availability of the hull etc, as I know they must be at Blackpool this weekend (sods law I'm in Blackpool next weekend  <:( ). A few observations I've seen and read (and in fact a second hand model of the Model Slipways Vliestroom I had a few years back), I'm not sure about using plastic sheet. The Vliestroom had gone brittle, something I don't think would happen with ply, not only that I find I'm more at home with wood.

So questions ?

1/ Am I biting off more than I can handle ? (I have built many models over my lifetime, but I'm talking Billings and Keil-Kraft)
2/ If I go for the Bow Thruster option, what size would I need and from who as MMM do not list one ?
3/ Do I look for alternative motors to the MMM T12 (Fan blower or WHAT ELSE ) ?

HELP ?

No one ?

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Portgarth choices
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:05:32 pm »

Portgarth is a nice model, not to hard. It was going to be my next model, but I did a deal and ended up going with a Svitzser M class hull.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.