Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this noise par for the course?  (Read 2634 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Is this noise par for the course?
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:03:56 pm »

Forgive my ignorance but until now I've never actually used a DC motor.

I've just powered up my first build, which has an HPI 55T 500-size motor running off a 2S LiPo via an Mtronix Tio 15 ESC, and the motor seems perfectly happy both ways, and with and without load.  However, it emits a steady high-pitched note as soon as power is applied (i.e. even before it turns), the volume of which stays constant.

Everything else is exactly what I expected, so I'm a bit puzzled by this.  Any ideas please chaps?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

inertia

Re: Is this noise par for the course?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:14:13 pm »

Norman
This subject has been well covered in the past. There is nothing wrong here. The noise is the result of using a high-frequency speed controller and the only solution is to fit a low-frequency one. That will change the start-up whine to a low growl.
DM

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »

Much obliged, DM.  In my case, the solution is simply to ignore it now that I know it's normal  :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:57:02 am »

I find the whine useful - it lets me know that the electric is getting to the motor.
Perhaps we should have a sticky telling about motor whine, it might save a lot of duplicate postings?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 11:44:56 am »

Perhaps we should have a sticky telling about motor whine, it might save a lot of duplicate postings?
I'll second that, Malcolm - and add a suggestion that we also have a sticky about BEC.
Dave M

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:41 pm »

Norman
This subject has been well covered in the past. There is nothing wrong here. The noise is the result of using a high-frequency speed controller and the only solution is to fit a low-frequency one. That will change the start-up whine to a low growl.
DM

Or a "very" high-frequency ESC above 16 kHz, which at least I canīt hear anymore.
I build those by myself (< 20A) but (here in germany) are a few small series suppliers, which also build ESC with these high frequencies.
I personally like these here www.modellbauregler.de since they work perfectly.
regards

Tobias
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.