Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stabilizers  (Read 2946 times)

Hornblower1948

Stabilizers
« on: July 28, 2007, 09:34:52 pm »

Anyone had any experience of fitting stabilizers to model boat hulls ?

Not mechanical ones like the real thing......but say bolt on.

It would be interesting to hear any pros and cons.

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.newquaymodelboatclub.org.uk
    • my club site
Re: Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »

a friend of mine fitted bile keels to a tug and it improved the performance and stability dramaticaly
i know this isnt what u wanted to know but it may help

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 02:33:37 pm »

hi
i think that the model slipway HMS Sentinal has working stabilizers
gary
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

HMSPENELOPE

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:02:26 pm »

GARY R UOK,BOATMANIC962 AND HORNBLOWER  - Hornblower, shouldnt this question be in the construction queries - need to read the threads matey

Have a good look on this thread . Construction Queries, Research & Information
  Bilge Keels
and you will find all the information you are talking about - exactly what they are and where they are + very little on how to fit em.The best way to fit em is to drill 2 oles in the edge of the stabiliser blade and of the appropriate diameter, so then you dont weaken the stabiliser and insert and glue in 2 brass rods of sufficient length and drill 2 holes in the appropriate place in the hull and then epoxy/araldite in place.

HMS

red

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:53:56 am »

I saw a chap with a pendulum that operated the pot on a servo tester kit , this operated the stabilizers via a servo, the weight had to be on as long an arm as he could get and a fishing weight on the end the servo took some setting up making shore it was not to aggressive or the boat would roll from side to side but after some playing around  he was happy with it,

Fred

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 01:19:55 pm »

HMS Leeds Castle has a system with a much similar set up to what Red has described but, you just cant use a standard servo tester, like you get from ACTion, you have to electronically modify it slightly.  The circuit system that is in the Leeds Castle came from a circuit diagram in an Electronics book which I modified.  Also, the pendulum system is dampened via lightly loaded springs and also drives through a gear arrangement to the variable resistor pot.

The system works well.   Its the same Leeds Castle that was at the Mayhem Bash and there are pictures of this model on the forum (sadly no internal photographs).

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

red

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:25:38 pm »

after reading your response I think it used a servo slow down at one point as well the servo tester was like the action but 555 based but a lot more aggressive did not need a lot of movement I think that why the slow down was used I think that bit was action but I don't think they make them any more.

Fred

Telstar

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 05:52:33 pm »

Hi Has anyone thought to try aeromodellers gyro unit to drive the stabiliser servo(s). I think some of these gyros work in one direction (plane) and they have gain and sensitivity control build in

just a thought
tom

785boats

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 07:56:12 pm »

You can also use a submarine auto levelling device to operate them.
Paul.

wingertaz

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:27 pm »

Hi,
    I am building a 1/48 castle class at present. i have a helicopter gyro which I intend incorporating into the model. It has full gain control so should (in theory) work perfectly.

Regards Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 22 queries.