Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RAF Tender??  (Read 10745 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
RAF Tender??
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:47:11 pm »

Hi all, could someone tell me what boat I have here and if possible what plans it may have been built from or at least some plans that would help me rebuild the superstructure.

It is quite old going by the mechanical speed controls - One motor seems OK but I will replace both, I like the idea of the mechanical speed controll so will reuse that if its working

Found some painted over portholes too when I started sanding the hull

Thanks Wayne

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RAF Tender??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 12:13:34 am »

Wayne.......if one motor is faulty, then yes the best plan is to replace both  :-))

However those 35 year old Tamiya speed controllers were robustly designed and a step up and more reliable from the earlier BoBs resistance boards

Some purists may say newer design ESC use less current and offer greater speed control and yes they are correct, .....[however I have never seen a non functional, burnt out or worn out Tamiya unit] so why not maintain them?....at least you will get the craft back on the water......you could always replace them down the track in time .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:21:45 am »

Thanks Derek, the idea is to reuse the speed controllers as they are, they look fine, just need to work out the electrics and test them out - The shafts are a bit dodgy so they are going to need replacing as well.

Wayne

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:29:09 am »

hi there

I have a feeling this could be a model of the RTTL Launch but I think the main superstructure is a bit of a homemade job/   The hull though, has all the hallmarks of the ~RTTL.   You can obtain the plans drawn by Vic Smeed from My Hobbies Store.  If you do a search on this forum there are countless builds of the RTTL.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16886/vosper-rttl-mm530
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18707.msg527573.html#msg527573

Aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:56:57 am »

What a nice project, and a little trip down memory lane too. Looking forward to seeing the end result :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:58:41 am »

Wayne........to answer....'just need to work out the electrics and test them out' ....you have the answer in your photograph + the advertisement image of the controller O0

Red & black from the battery into the controller, then yellow & green out to the motors....do not forget the fuse link in the supply line [the advertisement shows this in the negative {black} wire]....from memory these glass capillary fuses were 10 amp.....although any same value, quick blow style would be OK....

Just thinking ;), best to replace all of the power wiring at the same time .............Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:07:43 am »

Yes a very interesting project, I'll be following what you do with it, I would agree with Derrek about the speed controller these things were bomb proof so I'll be surprised if they don't still work,  ok they tend to work in steps but this is not so noticeable on a boat compared to a land model, don't forget we love photos, worth a thousand words etc. etc.  :-))

Joe.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:56:08 am »

It may be a simplified 63 HSL Whaleback design?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:29:43 am »

It may be a simplified 63 HSL Whaleback design?

I'd agree.  The superstructure looks as if it been built from profile and plan without any sections to show the rounded form. The rectangular hole could be a flying bridge.   The hull form doesn't show any of the elegance of the 63 ft hull which is far more curvy.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »

It could be someone's attempt at building a generic version of the fast rescue craft, though not many had hull portholes, the only one that comes to mind is the Thornycroft  67 foot HSL that had improved crew accommodation.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 04:21:19 pm »

The number on the deck would make it a 63ft Whaleback which fits with the superstructure rough shape.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »

Thanks guys, is the deck not too flat for a whaleback - I have an idea this is a bit of a "mix it" build - I may even go for a cabin cruiser type superstructure.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 05:19:44 pm »

Thanks guys, is the deck not too flat for a whaleback - I have an idea this is a bit of a "mix it" build - I may even go for a cabin cruiser type superstructure.

I agree again, the deck is way too flat.  There's scarcely a straight line in a whaleback either.  You could quite easily build a freelance design superstructure and have a pretty nice sports boat!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 05:29:28 pm »

sorry Joe, an awful lot of RAF launches had portholes in the hull sides.   The Whalebacks didn't nor did the Canadian Launches.   Like I say though a few others did.

What puts me off the Thorneycraft hull is that it does not have a rubbing strake half way up the side of the hull.  Also, I cannot see a very deep centre keel which the Thorneycraft have. 

Having a good look at the photographs you can see that the fenders are the same shape as Thorneycraft.

Obviously, the hull cabin is a homemade attempt at something.   Whalebacks cabin? No ..... I have even tried squinting my eyes, standing on me head and I still cannot make it anywhere near what a Whaleback cabin should look like or even represents. :-)  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Whatever you want to make out of this hull, enjoy your build, cos that is what modelling is all about.

Here is a link which you may already have - these are some of the RAF Launches from World War 2 onwards.

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/galleryhsl.html
Aye

John

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »

I have an old ML/MTB/RTTL hull given to me recently so your build will be an inspiration for a future project Wayne.

Good luck with the build and restoration.
Pond weed is your enemy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:30:27 am »

So the boat is now stripped of all fittings, I am going to add a new deck from 1.5mm ply - Now time to design a new superstructure and sort out the underside of the hull, looks like th e guy who built it used filler but did not sand it down!

Wayne

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:59:19 am »

Wayne if that line on the side of the hull is a rubbing strake; or a piece of timber; this is a Thorneycraft Hull.
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16735/thornycroft-67ft-mm1334

free plans for this model appear in Model Boats mag June 1982 :-)

aye

john

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 09:59:31 am »

Thanks John, that is probably the closest yet, there is no timber strip on the hull (apart from near the top) - The bow looks slightly different but could be just how the chap made this model - Regards Wayne

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 10:24:43 am »

Loads of reference on this site

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/gallerymisc.html

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/gallery/Models/

I have been researching these for a while now for a couple that  I am at present building....but can not find any reference to your particular model....personally I think it was a modlers lic that was used for the number...as there is No record of that number being used....but of course I will stand corrected on that one.

I agree with John that it is based on a Thorneycraft Hull

Dave

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 11:33:47 am »

Thanks GUys, this hull is 830mm long, would it be about 1:48 scale? I need to work out a rough scale to do the new superstructure design

Thanks Wayne

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 11:39:35 am »

Hi Wayne
if the hull is the Thorneycraft Hull the scale will be 1:24 approx.

aye
john

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 11:42:42 am »

Right thanks John - Seems I may go fully freelance on this and go 1:48 as it suits lego minifigs that I want to use as crew/passengers

Wayne

Raymond

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 04:19:17 pm »

The picture shown for the 67 foot Thornycroft in the My Hobbystore add. shows the 72 foot Vosper .

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »

However those 35 year old Tamiya speed controllers were robustly designed and a step up and more reliable from the earlier BoBs resistance boards

My son raced my old Tamiya Sand Rover (I bought it 2nd hand in 1985) this summer at out local club.  Thats running one of those Speed controllers.
I can also confirm that that ESC will handle a 2 cell Lipo and a Tuned 540 Motor..... Was a bit hot after 5 Mins full on racing tho  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 04:11:04 pm »

Totally stripped out the insides, bought new motors, mounts and prop shafts, now to sort out the hull and deck

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.