Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 45542 times)

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 05:27:10 pm »

thanks for your vote of confidence Bob...

she will defiantly be on the water at the Deans Open Days this year (2012)...  :-))

Eric65

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »

Wonderfull job Colin, Superb attention to detail!

Will you make any other pre-dreadnought type again? Maybe the Camperdown?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 12:24:05 am »

Blimey! Think they had enough boats?  It's a credit to you, lovely model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:16 am »

thanks chaps for the comments...  :embarrassed:    %)

@ Eric
i have a Palorus Class (HMS Pyramus (Victorian colours) on the drawing board, and i have always been interested on the Victoria Class for example HMS Victoria herself

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »

there were some lucky modelers in Dortmund at the Intermodellbau 2012, on the Saturday afternoon my HMS Inflexible was Christend and sent down the slipway for its first launch on to that cold and wet stuff called water....

" gingyer " of Mayham fame, has a couple of photo's from this christening, which he well be sending me at the weekend all being well..  :-))  :-))

meantime:

i was down the lake today and took her for another sail to see how she handels, as we have the German Scale Champs coming up in June, and i have entered her in them.

enjoy the photo's

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

Lovely to see her on the water at last Colin.   After all the countless hours of precision work I know you must be very proud to see the final transition from project-in-progress to working vessel.

Can't wait to see her myself sometime   :-))  :-))  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2012, 09:21:22 am »

not to sure if your all interested in this little fact.... but....

i came first in the German Scale Nationals with this model, of course in the kit class (F4B)

there is a dedicated website for these Champs, but its all in German...
www.dm-blankenheim.de

loads of photos can be found here  http://www.dm-blankenheim.de/index.php?action=media;sa=vua

results can be found here http://www.dm-blankenheim.de/index.php?topic=46.0

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:39 am »

Colin
      Will you be taking Inflexible to the Dean's open day in September?  if so which day?  I'd planned to go and would love to get a chance to see her in person.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2012, 09:49:15 am »

slight problem on that front..... wife is rather ill, chemo and radiotherapy for the next 33 days...

if we make it, we will arrive Saturday morning and leave Sunday evening..

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:46 am »

Colin
       I'm sorry to hear about your wife, my best wishes to you both.

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2012, 11:50:11 am »

not to sure if your all interested in this little fact.... but....

i came first in the German Scale Nationals with this model, of course in the kit class (F4B)

there is a dedicated website for these Champs, but its all in German...
www.dm-blankenheim.de

loads of photos can be found here  http://www.dm-blankenheim.de/index.php?action=media;sa=vua

results can be found here http://www.dm-blankenheim.de/index.php?topic=46.0
Hi Colin  good  to hear of your success at F4B at the German Champs . Always found the 1m gates    a difficult hazzard to negotiate at the top of the course !!! 
Bowwave  :-)) :-)) :-))

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2012, 09:32:39 am »

thanks...

yes Dave,
the top of the naviga triangle is rather tricky... 1 metre spacing between to boyes with HMS Inflexible being a little over 30cm wide theres not much room for mistakes...

i didn't manage a clear run, but twice i was very close, 98 from 100

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2012, 02:42:08 pm »

Hello Colin. It was terriffic to meet you at Dean's Marine.

Regarding plans for 'Pyramus', please see below a clip from the plan that I used for 'Pelorus'. You can see that it's marked 'Pegasus' but i suspect that has been added. It would be interesting to know if this is the same plan that you have already.

There's some background to 'Pelorus' on my site including links to online editions of the two wonderful little books 'A Fleet in Being' (Kipling) and 'Across a Continent in a Man of War' (Highams) which describe life in 'Pelorus'.

Congratulations on your superb model.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »

Hello David,
it was also nice to catch up with you again, these yearly gatherings are turning into a habit...  {-)  {-)  {-)

yes that is one of the plans i have, i also have three of the Admiralty's plans, dated march 1896, main title says "Third class Cruiser - to be named" top left, there is a stamp with a number and the name Pelorus class in it.

the one i plan modeling is HMS Pyramus, ca 1897-1900 still in her Victorian colours

i will try and get my second class torpedo boats from the inflexible working... ;)  plus a normal picketboat.

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2012, 03:23:03 pm »

I've only got one pic that's attributed to be 'Pyramus' although Victorian photographers got confused about which ship is which. However, PRO lists 3 pictures of the ship as new. See http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C516553.  This is the only source that I've found where the ship named is really the one in the picture!

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2013, 11:34:40 am »

HMS Inflexible and HMS Zulu on Patrol....

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:41 pm »

Colin, noting your interest in 'Victoria' in an earlier post, you might like to know that what is probably the original builder's model of her sister 'Sans Pareil' can be seen in the Art Museum, Preston. The model was taken off the actual ship when she was broken up in Preston in 1907. Here's a pic:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »

Hi Colin, I have been looking back through the MBM archives and saw this lovely ship being modelled. I am a fan of WW1 and prior warships and think the designs that our navies dreamt up were marvelous!

Congratulations on your win, well deserved.

Now a few questions.

1. Did you motorise your Torpedo boats?

2. (A personal question, but one I felt concern to ask) Is your wife in Remission? I do hope so.

3. Were you planning on marketting your etch brass pulleys? They would add fine detail to a model ship.
Pond weed is your enemy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:18 am »

Hi and thank you,
I guess the sad News first, Sadly my wife passed away last November (aged 55) 7 tumours in the Brain plus more else were....  :((  <:(
which is one of the reasons I have not been doing much modelling in the past year..!!

I still have extra vac-forms of the Torpedo boats, so at some time I will make a motorised version, its on my to do list, along with a Picket boat, and a Launch..

the etched brass pulleys are available to anyone that has the chance to do the etching..!! been looking for someone to do this for me (cheap/hobby) the person that used to do my etchings has shut up shop..
I gave my drawings to Mr Dean, so at some time they could well be on the market, but if any one else would like the drawings (Coral Draw) drop me a line..

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2014, 08:26:02 am »

Hi Colin, I am sorry to hear of your loss and understand the need to take time away from what will seem like a frippary to grieve and sort everything out.

I hope that you manage to find some time to get back to boating as it can be cathartic doing something to occupy your mind, no one would begrudge you that.

Keep well Colin and please accept my condolensces.
Pond weed is your enemy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:15 am »

some day everything will fall back into place..  O0

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2016, 06:08:10 am »

3. Were you planning on marketting your etch brass pulleys? They would add fine detail to a model ship.

to answer this question.... I know its been a long time... but I have now found a reasonable priced etcher that does small jobs..
so if any one is interested in the pulleys, let me know an I can get some etched, I will then bring them to the Deans Open days in September..  :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.