Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Navy Archer Class Patrol Boats  (Read 4151 times)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
Royal Navy Archer Class Patrol Boats
« on: October 29, 2015, 08:14:37 pm »

Hi All,
 As this is my first post, please be gentle with me..
I am asking the question why the "Archer class" of patrol boats have changed the way they describe their length?
When Watercraft built them back in the the mid eighties, they were known as P20's, this was a natural name as it stood for "Patrol 20 metre" coastal training craft. Archer was the first so took the class name. In the RNXS we all knew them as P20's, all the training manuals were named P20 and there was a plate attached to the transom with the same information, P20 Coastal training craft.
When the Royal Navy took our vessels when we disbanded, and after Vospers had fitted out the remaining vessels when Watercraft went into liquidation, suddenly they were called P2000's. Why? If we are now saying they are Patrol 2000 milimetres craft, how silly, surely 20 metres is the correct way to describe a modern vessel length!
I will continue to call them P20's as this is what we all knew them as.
Rant over........

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Royal Navy Archer Class Patrol Boats
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:42:28 am »

17-09,
Somebody loves you and I'll 'go gently'. If this was a lifeboat or 'stick and string' query we would have answered in abundance, especially over length and names!! What's up with the 'grey funnel' brigade? Which year did the Royal Navy take them over - was it 2000? {-)
Yours,
Canterbury Coxswain

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:41:03 am »

I believe the export boats were P2000s cos it sounded cooler for Johnny foreigner. Now I suppose it sounds cooler for the RNs publicity department!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:27:20 pm »

Must have shortened them a bit to 2000 millimetres
I know there have been cut backs since I left the Andrew
in 1982, but  :o :o :o

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:50 pm »

There is an article, part 2, in November 2015 Model boat mag, about these boats. O0 O0 O0
The October edition, part 1, gives some background details of these boats

Colin Bishop, mayhem member, or the articles author may be able to supply more information.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:59:31 am »

try 2000 centimeters - that's what they teach in schools - engineers work in millimeters or imperial - schools work in centimeters and meters.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:23:59 am »

%)......and meters....well in OZ they are usually good for the measurement of different units......like a water meter or a gas meter, however not applicable in the nomination of units of length  ;)

I think measures of floor coverings and dress makers are the only misguided people to use centimetre's  ;D

Very confusing  <*< your English set of differentiation between word meanings  {-)........ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:54:22 am »

There 17-09,
A wealth of answers, some not even considered in our 'little chats' whilst modelling! I like the replies from 'unbuiltnautilis' [the sentence construction sounds very much like a gentleman I know from Fratton!!*?] and 'Warspite'  especially as they went to Universities [Education] - there, and I just thought it was a matter of the number of funnels, whether the gun turrets were A, B, C or X and Y and the RIGHT colour grey - there's more to these 'grey funnels' than can be imaged. Still better get back into the workshop and paint that 'grey' lifeboat superstructure or I might get put on the Surface Warship Associations stand at he Warwick Show next week. See you there.
Canterbury Coxswain

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:01:29 am »

There 17-09,
A wealth of answers, some not even considered in our 'little chats' whilst modelling! I like the replies from 'unbuiltnautilis' [the sentence construction sounds very much like a gentleman I know from Fratton!!*?]

I can neither confirm nor deny the above :D

The original users of these boats was the Omani Navy/Coastguard, whose version of this boat was a much cooler looking vessel, with severely raked glazing, I assume to reduce sun glare. they were also faster, being up engined for 40 knots. however, they never reached their design speed and there was more than a bit of hoo haa over this with the original builders back in the day.
40 knots to exciting for the RN methinks!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:19:13 am »

Well CC...whilst the nomination of a "C" for "Caesar" turret location is true, however the same is not a commonly discussed term here on MBM......could you enlighten us with your thoughts on such a turret placement?.......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »

Never thought this thread would provoke so much interest, yes OK I should have said centimetres,not millimetres there being 2000 centimetres in 20 metres. Does not really change my original question though,and still does not sound right. The P20 hulls were good for higher speeds but they were propped down to reduce this, still enabled a skipper to water ski behind them though(or so i'm told -sloping shoulders!). They were also fitted for but not with a 20mm GAM-BO1, the deckhead in the forward accommodation was strengthened in our boats, early drawings showed this gun fitted.
     Better start a new thread if we are discussing turret nomenclature and numbering - British warships use the alphabet from bow to stern ABC-(PQ if fitted midships)-XY,  and sometimes Z if three turrets aft.
Many thanks 17-09
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.