Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family Pets  (Read 3822 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Family Pets
« on: November 03, 2015, 09:50:24 pm »

The trouble with family pets is that they don't stay with us for long enough <:(  We had to have our little Corgi, Cassie, put to sleep yesterday, as she would no longer eat, and had great difficulty walking - she was just fading away. She was born on 24th April 2000, so was 15 and a half, a great innings for a dog, but it was still a hard to make the decision to have her put down. Anyone who has seen build logs of some of my models here on Mayhem may have noticed her in several of the photos, she was always in the shed with me when I was building, supervising proceedings.

She will be greatly missed.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Family Pets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:28:00 pm »

Very sorry to hear that Peter. It seems that she had a good innings thgough and you did the merciful thing. Pity it's not possible to do the same when we we humans have run out of road.

Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:17:23 pm »

I'm very sorry for your loss as they say tho "As one passes another is born"
My stepdaughters rabbits had 5 babies yesterday
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:21:48 pm »

Peter, I am sad to hear of the loss of your lovely Corgi. Having had 5 Jack Russells one after the other, over the years, the last one, Smartie was put to sleep exactly a year ago. We said we could not bear to see another go so he was the last and left an enormous hole in our lives after nearly 17 years. He used to sit in all my dinghies and small cruisers (not models!)watching me when I worked on them in my garage/workshop. The memory will never fade!
Bob.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 03:42:03 am »

I do feel for you Peter. It's not the easiest thing to do. When my pooch was deliberately run over I had to make that decision all the while knowing my wife and daughter would hate me for making the decision. I have never forgotten the last look my pooch gave me. We all still miss her 6 years later, and even though we have another dog, we still talk about her all the time. I feel many pets touch deeper into our hearts than we care to mention,  most deeper than our friends and even family do.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:51 am »

...so sorry for your loss Peter. We can share your sentiments as went through a similiar situation with our poor Amber. Our thoughts are with you, but I would rather see an animal free of pain than go on living a life of poor quality. We have many shadows.

Robert

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 11:52:53 am »

I feel for you Peter I think it's the hardest part to put a family friend away.
Rick

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 12:07:29 pm »

I am so sorry to hear about your loss Mr Fitness. It is a sad time for you and your family.
Take heart in the pleasure she gave you and for the photos of her lovely smiling face around you in your workshop.

Regards. Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 01:10:14 pm »

RIP Cassie. I expect she is still looking after you while you work Peter, but from the 'Mancave' in heaven.

Pond weed is your enemy

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 01:17:03 pm »

I feel for you Peter. I am sure many of us have gone through the pain, some several times over, but it does not help to reduce your sadness.

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »

Sorry to hear of your loss it must have been a very hard thing to have to do. Just try to think of the good times

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 05:52:08 pm »

I am so sorry to hear about your loss Mr Fitness. It is a sad time for you and your family.
Take heart in the pleasure she gave you and for the photos of her lovely smiling face around you in your workshop.
Regards. Jim.

Also my sympathies too Peter.

.....no one to blame for any bad smells on anymore?!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »

I can empathise with you Peter, I had to do the same thing with my last dog ironically in 2000 he was nearly 16, if I think about him I still get a knot in the gut even 15 years later, couldn't bare to get another dog for 5 years, but now I look back with fond memories.
Joe

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 08:01:01 pm »

I too know that feeling, one of our cats stopped eating and was fading fast, so the decision was made, as I took her to the vet she was so weak we had the basket open, in a last effort she crawled from the basket onto my lap as I drove, A last great effort, a few minutes later at the vets she had nothing left, it had been one last effort just to sit on my lap, I was there with her as the deed was done and she found peace.
There is a time that comes when the only thing left is to grant them peace and rest. and it is hard - so hard, and it still brings a lump to my throat and a tear to the eye.
my sympathies, and , just remember you will meet again in the future at the rainbow bridge.
Grendel

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 09:10:21 pm »

Thank you all for your kind messages, I really appreciate it. I'm sure that people who have never owned a pet don't understand just how much that animal becomes a part of the family, and the longer you have them the harder it is to lose them. I think we will probably get another dog at some stage, but not just yet. As we live on a farm, we have plenty of space, so we will wait and see.

Our oldest son, who lives with us, also has a dog, an Australian Blue cattle dog commonly known as a Blue Heeler, and I'm sure she's already missing Cassie, as she was really clingy yesterday. As a cattle dog she's next to useless, but has a great temperament and is a good watch dog - she watches everyone come and go   :-) Her name is Nat, and when our son is at work she is my constant farm companion following me wherever I go, but as soon as our son comes home I become second choice {:-{

Peter.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:48:36 pm »

My sympathy. Interestingly, my wife worked at one time for a couple who always kept two dogs, retrievers in this case. They got the second dog when the first was six or seven, and when the first reached the end of its life they replaced it with a puppy. Apart from the continuity, the older dog was a stabilising influence on the puppy.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 10:29:17 pm »

Deep sympathies, a year ago last January we had to have our7 year German Shepherd put to sleep because of kidney failure. I was with him at the end, possibly because it was quite sudden it hit us very hard. Even now my wife gets weepy if she finds a picture of him. My Father said it was part of the covenant, 'When the time comes do the right thing'.  After 9 months we had to have a dog to get me out exercising again. I don't see the point of a walk without a dog. We got a rescue 12 yr old Shepherd x Bernese mountain dog called Frank but we don't forget Louis. If you are feeling strong look up 'The Rainbow Bridge'

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 09:38:38 pm »

When the vet arrived to put Cassie to sleep he had a young female student with him, who was just days away from becoming a qualified vet. I said to her that this must be one of the worst parts of the job. Her reply was, "Yes, it is, but as long as it's for the right reasons", which it was. Cass was over 15, wouldn't eat, and had difficulty walking, her time had come. I still expect to see her around the yard, and I know that the grandchildren will miss her when they visit, but we do have some great photos, and lots of happy memories of her time with us.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.