Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RADCLIFFE  (Read 2936 times)

jtbyte

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
RADCLIFFE
« on: October 31, 2015, 11:59:26 am »

During WWII many YMS-1, YMS-2, and YMS-3 class minesweepers were produced in the US and served around the world in various theatres and navies.   When the war ended the services sold off many of these small vessels to any private buyers who wanted them.  You may know that John Wayne purchased one and turned it into his yacht Wild Goose.  Others became various other forms of workboats, tugs, and even research vessels such as Calypso.  One of the YMS-1 class vessels became the RADCLIFFE which, served as a ferry until 1965 in Guernsey, Falmouth, and other South West ports.  Her career finally ended in September 1967 when she sank off Wolf Rock after a fire below decks.

Her general details were as follows:

Name:                RADCLIFFE 1949
Renamed:           REGENCY BELLE 1950, REGENCY 1965
Type:                  Ex-YMS-1 Class Minesweeper - Passenger Ferry
Builders:             H.B. Nevins Inc, City Island, New York  Comp 6 January 1942
Operators:         Radcliffe Channel Islands Shipping Co. Ltd. 1949
                        Mr. S. R. Crowe - January 18 1951
                        Torbay Cruising Co. Ltd. 1955
                        Marine Salvage & Survey Service Ltd. 1964
                        Admiralty Marshall & General Brokerage & Finance Co. Ltd. on January 6 1966
Length Overall:  136 feet - 0 inches
Length BP:        130 feet - 0 inches
Beam:               24 feet 6 inches
Draught:           7 feet - 6 inches
Draft:                8 feet - 0 inches
Displacement:   320 tons
Speed:             13/15 knots
Passengers:     350
Fate:                 Sank off Wolf Rock - 1967

I am sure you would agree, she would make a great model on any lake.  Another example of these workboats is the final drawing and again is an ex-YMS-1 class minesweeper.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: RADCLIFFE
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 01:54:25 pm »

She would make a very interesting subject  O0 :-)) .  Good, manageable size too!!!!! 

I wonder what drawings would be available...............

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:55:18 pm »

John Lambert does a set for YMS-419, if they're any help.

Cornwall Model Boats sell them.

Lance

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »

John Lambert does a set for YMS-419, if they're any help.

Cornwall Model Boats sell them.

Lance

Thank you Lance - will look into that!!!  :-))

jtbyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:04:21 pm »

The John Lambert drawings you mention are of a YMS-2 Class Minesweeper with a flared bow.  The above vessel was a YMS-1 class Minesweeper.  There were three classes and only the first class had a straight bow.  The basic differences are as follows:

YMS-1 Class - The YMS-1 class of auxiliary motor minesweepers was established with the laying down of
                      YMS-1 on 4 March 1941.   This class had two stacks.

YMS-2 Class - YMS-135 subclass - This subclass was identical but had only one stack rather than two, and consisted of
                      YMS's 135-445, 480, and 481.

YMS-3 Class - YMS-446 subclass - This subclass was also identical but had no stacks, and consisted of YMSs 446-479

Floating Dockyard also produce a few drawings of YMS-2 class vessels and they are poor quality drawings.

There are no drawings of the RADCLIFFE that I am aware of and I checked with most if not all archives on the south coast and London.  Actually for a vessel like this it's not uncommon to find there are no drawings, or sometimes very few.  The drawings above are my own and they were produced by useing a General Booklet of Plans from the US that I managed to get hold of for the YMS-1 class.  This gave me enough information and data to produce a set of lines and offsets for the YMS-1 class hull.  I eventually did the same to produce a set of lines and offsets for the YMS-2 class.  To produce a set of drawing for the RADCLIFFE meant collecting as many photos as possible of her over her life and then studying each in as much detail as possible to produce the drawings.  I cannot say they are absolutely accurate in every detail, but I can say they are pretty close, and most definately the hull.  Hope this helps.  JT

[/size]

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 07:38:40 pm »

Any chance you could increase your font size jtbyte :kiss:

Increased   :-))   ken
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

jtbyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 07:58:54 pm »

Sorry about that.  I can't find an edit button so I hope its ok to re-post.

It's in the Modify button above your posting and lasts for 30 mins.

I have done it for you
 ken

It's in the
The John Lambert drawings you mention are of a YMS-2 Class Minesweeper with a flared bow.  The above vessel was a YMS-1 class Minesweeper.  There were three classes and only the first class had a straight bow.  The basic differences are as follows:

YMS-1 Class - The YMS-1 class of auxiliary motor minesweepers was established with the laying down of
                      YMS-1 on 4 March 1941.   This class had two stacks.

YMS-2 Class - YMS-135 subclass - This subclass was identical but had only one stack rather than two, and consisted of
                      YMS's 135-445, 480, and 481.

YMS-3 Class - YMS-446 subclass - This subclass was also identical but had no stacks, and consisted of YMSs 446-479

Floating Dockyard also produce a few drawings of YMS-2 class vessels and they are poor quality drawings.

There are no drawings of the RADCLIFFE that I am aware of and I checked with most if not all archives on the south coast and London.  Actually for a vessel like this it's not uncommon to find there are no drawings, or sometimes very few.  The drawings above are my own and they were produced by useing a General Booklet of Plans from the US that I managed to get hold of for the YMS-1 class.  This gave me enough information and data to produce a set of lines and offsets for the YMS-1 class hull.  I eventually did the same to produce a set of lines and offsets for the YMS-2 class.  To produce a set of drawing for the RADCLIFFE meant collecting as many photos as possible of her over her life and then studying each in as much detail as possible to produce the drawings.  I cannot say they are absolutely accurate in every detail, but I can say they are pretty close, and most definately the hull.  Hope this helps.  JT
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.