Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairwind weight...  (Read 2166 times)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Fairwind weight...
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:09:21 pm »

Firstly,i am new to sailing yachts from power boats,sailing a Dragonforce and a Footy...love it..more! I have just obtained an old Fairwind ABS hull and sails in good nick and hope to refurb. it and put new gear in with a sail arm servo and 2.4 RC gear.I have looked at all the FW info on the web gathering as much info as I can regarding the weight.This hull I have seems very heavy to me weighing in about 8-9 pound bare,just the hull and wondered about drilling out some of the lead shot in the keel.Is this about right,or should I lighten it a bit then add back later if necessary after sail trials? Hope someone can be of help,many thanks.Lakeside Bob.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairwind weight...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »

Bob
Here are a few links that may provide some insights for you about your Fairwind project. The min. weight is 8lbs. so 8-9 is in the park.
http://www.theamya.org/boats/fairwind/
http://www.sailbakersfield.com/uploads/2/2/0/5/22059996/tuning_the_fairwind_for_racing.pdf
http://www.sailbakersfield.com/tech-corner.html

There is a lot of information at the last two links. Let me know how it all works out.
I have a Fairwind lll which is quite different - fiberglass hull - very pretty boats - sadly out of production.
Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:38:20 am »

On a general principle boats from the manufacturers, who know what they are doing, are well designed and pretty much optimized. There is only room for trimming to enhance performance. Messing with the main components will only reduce performance, I have seen this before with other boats that have been messed with. Reducing weight will not necessarily make the boat faster, and may even destabilise it a little affecting the sailing performance negatively.

Looking specifically at the tips in the thread above. If you change the hull or keel weight you will make the boat non-class for racing. Should you ever decide to go that way in future, you will be unable to. Even if you adjust it back, most marshals could only see that the boat was at some time modified. There are lots of other tips in the links above to show how the boat can be improved.

I have modified a boat before, but I did not touch the hull. Only changed parts of the standard rigging.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:34 pm »

Hi Boom,thankyou for info. links.I have now restored the FW with new RC gear throughout,repaired the damage from where it had been dropped... on it's side[not my doing]...rubbed down and re-sprayed it white and reduced the weight to around 7lbs approx.Feels more balanced now to transport,no truss needed...I have sailed it on our Club lake and it is superb,lovely 'authority' and positive steering,plus btw...have increased the rudder area as suggested by 20%.I can't do any more testing at the mo. as our lake is having major re-furb done,dredging,walls,all sorts etc but as soon as I can I will be there again and be able to compare any weight increase I may add,space has been left for it...Has been a pleasure to bring the 'wind back to life,i love the shape of it.Many thanks for your reply.Lakeside Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.