Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do a Backup!  (Read 5408 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Do a Backup!
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:12 pm »

Warning!

Evening chaps, just spent a few hours round a friends house looking at some virus issues on his new PC, (nearly all webpages bring up Adware).
Tried EVERYTHING  but the long and the short of it is I'm going to have to reformat his HDD (completely wipe) and start again.

Think about it chaps, if you got hit this bad, have you got all your a good backup of your documents, photos, videos, etc.
 saved somewhere else  off  your PC, Laptop, Ipad, Tablet, phone etc?!!!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Do a Backup!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:04 pm »

Backup to a separate HD once a month. Keep father, grandfather and greatgrandfather versions. Cant be too careful.
Don't Assume Check

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:10 pm »

10 points!    :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:11:59 pm »

Did one the otherday 12 hours 390,000 files !!

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:10:58 pm »

Essentials and music backed up on hard drive (fireproof box), complete backup with films etc stored on a 2 bay NAS in RAID 1 along with the other computers in the house and phones etc. Further backups exist over other external hard drives, and this Mac stores Time Machine restores to a Time Capsule that's also network attached.

Good enough?  ;)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:12 pm »

Hi Martin,

What's the best way to backup ?

Dvd's /external hard drive  or something else?

Thanks
Spud

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 11:30:02 pm »

I'm very "xxxxx" about backups now  ;D

my main personal folders (documents/pictures etc) are continually synced with my NAS drive as well as overnight sync to an offsite cloud storage solution
My machine (mac) is also automatically cloned on a weekly basis

The reason for this is that I had one hard drive fail and lost a LOT of stuff including irreplaceable photographs that I was going to "burn to DVD at the weekend"  :embarrassed:

Also if you are creating backups with a software solution the check to make sure that it is actually backing up correctly.

Spud,
It depends on how much and what you want to store
There are lots of options, however what may be good for one person may not be good for you
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 06:26:32 am »

Hi essex2visuvesi

I just need to back up pictures

Would something without moving parts be best ( memory sticks/ dvds ) are they 100% reliable? 

Cheers
Spud

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 08:40:06 am »

I use Windows 10's File History to write to a 1Tb USB drive. I usually put this in the fire safe when I go away. I also run a full backup of my data to the same drive every 10 - 14 days depending on activity.  I keep three generations of these files. And finally some important files are on one or more Cloud services, and photos are on Google Photos. I don't have a lot of music or videos.

Barrie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 08:55:52 am »

@spud

A USB stick is not very safe, they tend to fail, a lot.

For light users.
An external hard drive plugs into a usb port, and is much more reliable. These can also fail (avoid SEAGATE brand), but I have all my must keeps on two different external drives, so that if one fails, I always have the other.

All hard drives can fail, but if you don't have them switched on all the time, they are more likely to last longer.

I now seem to be collecting Tb drives like I used to collect USB thumb drives. I really should be more tech savvy and move up to using raid arrays. I am using an assortment of drives. A bit of a mess really.
500gb external x 1
1tb external x 3
A 2 bay hardrive external enclosure 4Tb + 1Tb drives, the latter salvaged from my old desk top PC.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 09:48:05 am »

I always do my best to ensure that "files" do not live on the "C" drive.  Operating system and programs, yes.  Everything on my files drive gets synced across to both an external drive and drives on my other PCs. 
I use a cloning tool, currently "Backupper" to make sure that I have a backed up C drive.  If I ever get in the state that Martin's mate got into I can let it re-write the drive, wiping the mess away and restoring whatever settings I had when I made the copy.  A full system reinstall is a half hour tops as opposed to about an hour to load windows and a fortnight or so putting everything else on.
Double plus on USB sticks - they are most likely to fail when you actually need them.  A very convenient package for shifting data from one place to another, but not a storage solution.  I expect that the same could be said for things like SD cards, although they don't have the USB interface.
How much of the odds and sods that we gather for computers are things to fix problems that were unheard of before we had computers in the first place?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:03 am »

Hi Martin,
What's the best way to backup ?
Dvd's /external hard drive  or something else?

Just my personal opinion!
These days, I now ONLY backup my data!  Experience has taught me that if there is a major issue, the OS is the first thing to get hit, thereby making it unusable, unstable or the least, untrustworthy. (It's also a good excuse to make a clean start!)  Nowadays, I just backup documents, photos, videos etc. - I don't backup the OS ( ie. Windows) or installed programs, less chance of the Virus / Trojan horse getting through.

You can do a 'System' or 'Image' backup but I only recommend doing that on a new machine / clean build.
( System restore get out of date very quickly whereas a basic Windows 7, 8 or 10 clean build usually take less than an hour. )

When downloading new photos etc, I now copy to my internal first,  then my external HDD straight afterwards.
I Use USB 3.0 external HDDs. Don't trust DVDs!

See:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10%E2%80%99s-backup-and-recovery-tools/
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 10:54:30 am »

First thing is I arrange all my own generated files under a single directory on 'C', not easy with Windows 8.1 trying to force you to put everything into their Cloud.  Next I have a good automatic backup program that backs up onto a good quality external USB hard drive.  About once a month I copy my start directory onto high end USB sticks.  Finally I have a further automatic backup on Nortons's 360.

The chances of all four going down are pretty slim, but it is a good idea to fully check out each system from time to time so if any one goes feet up you can replace that hardware/system.  I have had one external hard drive die, plus 2 USB sticks, so multiple redundancy with frequent checking is essential.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 12:03:37 pm »

Yes Bob.......I also use Norton 360 backup to a pair of 2TB external drives set for 0200 every Sunday morning....not configured as RAID, but individual backups

The software allows you to tailor exactly what you want to be backed up, however it is in an encrypted compressed format which cannot be viewed or read and must be restored to the original source

The important thing I must do each Saturday evening is configure the PC power options to monitor = snooze after 5 minuted, however disable power save to the PC itself

Having said this....nothing is infallible  %).... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 11:02:46 pm »

Regular backups to two external drives - both Seagate and no problems! And, as ransomware nasties like Cryptolocker can access all network drives, those external drives are disconnected when not in use. One drive will always be stored off site.

I also now have access to my son's server network via LAN, and this weekend that access will be improved and regularised with an automatic backup from this PC and the laptop to the network, that will happily take care of itself. The three servers are all RAIDed.

You can never have too many backups. Paranoid? Moi?  ok2

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 01:40:30 am »

Glad you have had no problems with your Seagate drives. I have had two fail, and apparently, it is not rare.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 08:00:35 am »

I recently had the same problem being inundated with ads when browsing the net. Turned out to be quite a simple fix as when my repair guy checked which browser the router was trying to use, it had been changed to an address in sussex hence the ads.
Put it back to Google no further probs. Malware to blame again.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 10:25:05 am »

I recently had the same problem being inundated with ads when browsing the net. Turned out to be quite a simple fix as when my repair guy checked which browser the router was trying to use, it had been changed to an address in sussex hence the ads.
Put it back to Google no further probs. Malware to blame again.
When installing a new (usually free) program NEVER use "Express (recommended)" as this almost invariably leads to a new default search engine and a mass of useless ads and toolbars.  This applies to Adobe and Java updates as well.  If any "useful options" present themselves, decline them for the same reason.  When presented with one of these messes my first step is to run a copy of "ADW Cleaner" which gets rid of most of the rubbish, then a working over with Malwarebytes which usually tidies up the rest.
That, and having in reserve a known good copy of the C: drive and system folder that enables a quick and effective rebuild in something under half an hour to a state before the problem was acquired as a fallback.  While a clean re-install of the system is guaranteed to work, it is a big job if you have a lot of personal programs and settings.  And, of course, the inevitable avalanche of updates.  If no steps are taken to keep data files separate from the operating system, well, the old saying is that if you don't have at least two copies, you didn't really want to keep it.
I'm not sure what Sussex has to do with the router thinking it was there and why that would cause an outbreak of ads.......
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 11:44:12 am »

I'm not a geek but when the repair guy took the house PC away for repair. the problem transferred to swmbo's chrome book. That was when I twigged the router was at fault as the house PC was working fine at the repair guys place.
When he brought the PC back he checked the router settings and I might be wrong calling it an IP address. but the address goes number dot number dot & so on, this is what had been changed & when he looked up who this new number belonged to, it was site called Reg Dragon or something similar in Sussex.
He told me that because my browser didn't reconise this address, that's why I was getting the ads.

ma1308

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »

I adopt the same policy at home as we do at work; nothing is saved to the computer that way if all goes wrong you don’t have to worry about if your files have been backed up.
Invest in a good Nas.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 12:39:43 pm »

When installing a new (usually free) program NEVER use "Express (recommended)" as this almost invariably leads to a new default search engine and a mass of useless ads and toolbars.  This applies to Adobe and Java updates as well.  If any "useful options" present themselves, decline them for the same reason.  When presented with one of these messes my first step is to run a copy of "ADW Cleaner" which gets rid of most of the rubbish, then a working over with Malwarebytes which usually tidies up the rest.

Have always used the express settings and never had a problem, even in the express it gives you the option to state which search engine etc.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 09:07:31 pm »

I back up ALL photos and other irreplaceable files to two, and sometimes three external HDDs. I use Western Digital HDDs exclusively as, like TT, I have had two Seagate drives fail, both of which were internal drives, so I have become very wary of them. So far all my WD drives have performed faultlessly.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.