Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stressed out and can't sleep  (Read 8754 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Stressed out and can't sleep
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:13:59 pm »

Ok I work night's.  But over the last few weeks I get home and cannot sleep. This is causing md to get stressed out so I don't sleep.  Tried all the normal stuff hot baths, lettuce sandwich, camomile tea, those herbal sleep tablets etc. I'm stressed at work or anything in fact the opposite. I just can't seem to nod off. At present I'm getting  2 hours a day. Any ideas to what I can do. I don't want to go to docs. P's I font drink of smoke. And before ian m says anything it was your birthday and wicksteed is an exception.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stressed out and can't sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:50:37 pm »

I used to work nights ma self and know the problem, the best thing for me was to say up till everyone had gone to work and school, watch any program I had record then have a shower 🚿 before bed, 6/7 hours later woke up felling ready to go, some times I would grab an hour around 6ish the off to work.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:46 pm »

that's I normally did. I have worked nights for 20 years and never had this problem.
full time penguin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »

Guilty Conscience?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 05:21:41 pm »

Boots sell tablets called 'SLEEPEAZE' 50mg and they work well for me. They are worth trying and they are not herbal and not expensive.

inertia

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 05:34:45 pm »

What's the big problem about seeing the doc? If your car is sick you take it to the garage; if your washing machine breaks down you call an engineer; if your little bod is misbehaving you go and see the M/O. These guys are trained, you know, but if you don't see 'em then the very thing that you're scared of finding out might eventually find you out - and much too late.
I know the wisdom of going early from my own experience; at least for insomnia he won't be flexing his middle finger and grinning slightly while he pulls on a rubber glove....  :o
Dave M

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:14:37 pm »

Unless He's looking for a bit of broken bed spring  {:-{

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:22:55 pm »

I cannot comment on the problem but I also cannot understand why someone refuses to go to the doctor for professional advice and yet come onto a model boat forum hoping for the same professional diagnosis.

That is what we old folks have paid into all our lives for. And that is why the NHS is free for help.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 06:34:19 pm »

@ BFSMP
I think you may be a bit new to forums. :-))
When forums are constructed, the wood work
is filled with experts on all subjects from Nuclear
Fission to Timing Tea bags for the perfick brew.
Where else on Earth would you go for an answer %% %% {:-{

Ned

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:32 pm »

Thank you Ned.

And yes I am new to this sort of thing. In fact this is the only forum that I have joined so far, and at times am bemused and bewildered by the many varieties of questions posted, and even down to medical problems.

I think I will steer clear of giving advise on most things unless common sense prevails.

Jim
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:47:53 pm »

Now Now Jim :}
Common Sense?
This is Mayhem  :-)) :-)) :-))
Jesting is all part of Mayhem.
Good advice and common sense
is all over the Forum, but we all like a good laugh.

Ned

inertia

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 06:59:48 pm »

Unless He's looking for a bit of broken bed spring  {:-{

Ned

Ned
Sometimes you really are a naughty puppy.
This is November, and November is Movember when blokes grow a 'tache in support of blokes-only diseases. I wouldn't wish prostate cancer or brachytherapy on anyone. It will affect 1 man in 8 at some time in their lives, and diagnosis always involves the fickle finger. Trust me; it's not a thing to laugh about (even though I mentioned it first). Not-getting-to-sleep is not the main issue with prostate problems - especially if you like a big fat scotch. It's more the seven or eight trips to the loo during the night that gets you down. I've had more practice at going to sleep than anyone under 100 I know! Come on, blokes - dig into your pockets and make a difference, or make yourself look daft and let your sponsors do it! (Soap Box away now).

Pete - do yourself a favour and make the call. It's probably just some anxiety thing that you need to talk through with a professional, or maybe some relaxation techniques would help (been there, done it, got the tape to prove it). If you do nowt then you'll end up losing sleep over the reason why you can't sleep, which is not a sensible place to be. I mean to collect that bottle of chop sauce you promised, so get yersen fixed, m'duck!

Dave M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 07:03:26 pm »

Walks?
Read a book?
Audio book?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 07:04:55 pm »

Try "Melatonin" from any Health Food Store.

All natural; always helps You nod off and most important, no groggy feeling when You do get up.

I have used it for years. Always works for me.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »

Apologies if I have offended anyone.
Dave, I have had the fickle finger twice.
It's not a good time waiting for results
of scans etc.
Can't grow a tache as I grew a beard in
1963 whilst transitting the Med on my
way to Bahrein and it sort of stuck to this
day.
I shall sponsor one of the guys here.

Ned

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »

As i already have a Beard as well I am working on growing some interesting ear hair
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »

As i already have a Beard as well I am working on growing some interesting ear hair
oooo - intresting comb over - sorry couldn't resist  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: ok2
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:51 pm »

oooo - intresting comb over - sorry couldn't resist  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: ok2

I was thinking "ear dreads"

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 08:42:32 pm »

I bothered with the can't sleep thing ,and there is no easy answer. I'm 67 so the work thing is not in the way . I apply the theory sleep when you are tired , don't start , I know Klunk works and it will be b------dy  hard and it's easy for me but try not to worry about not sleeping it only perpetuates the issue . If you can not put your finger on the thing that keeping you awake positively , then it does not matter you can not sleep and you will sleep when you are tired .
This is my take on the no sleep thing and it works for me . If it's a medical thing that's bothering as DM says have a crack with the medic and all might come good . Good luck .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

inertia

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 11:20:42 pm »

Apologies if I have offended anyone.
Dave, I have had the fickle finger twice.
It's not a good time waiting for results
of scans etc.
Can't grow a tache as I grew a beard in
1963 whilst transitting the Med on my
way to Bahrein and it sort of stuck to this
day.
I shall sponsor one of the guys here.

Ned

RESULT!! Seriously, thanks Ned. No offence taken here - just a gratuitous opportunity to spread the message, perhaps?
More donations please, guys!
DM

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 11:31:27 pm »

RESULT!! Seriously, thanks Ned. No offence taken here - just a gratuitous opportunity to spread the message, perhaps?
More donations please, guys!
DM

Are you participating then?
I think the Tache will go well with the dress  ;D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 11:50:27 pm »

Like most medical issues, the key point is whether something has suddenly changed and if so - why? Not sleeping is a difficult one as the cause could be either in the mind or due to physical causes. Obviously if you are worrying about something then this is one thing but if not then what has changed physically? Have you been eating curries late at night for example! Depending on what might have changed will dictate what action is most appropriate. As others have said, if you are not aware of any mental problem then a physical checkup could be a good idea. Once you pass the age of 60, ageing does catch up with you and with unexpected but not necessarily unusual effects which can be managed.

I have recently had to get up in the night a bit more often than usual but it could well be due to some new medication I am taking or simply as a general effect of ageing. Or it could be something more sinister. It is really difficult to distinguish between what is  'normal' and what should be investigated further. At what point do you invite another incursion from the 'fickle finger'? Once you start taking pills for a particular condition you can get all sorts of minor side effects.

I usually get to sleep by reading something fairly soporific. At the moment it is an American account of the Battle of Jutland. It is quite interesting but 20 minutes or so is enough for me to nod off.

I find that whisky is a great general solution but unfortunately my Wife has rationed it!

Getting old is a pain really, the consolation is that it only happens once!

Colin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 12:27:41 am »

Nothing has changed. I dont trust any doctors since I had glandular fever and was diagnosed for 6 weeks with a sore throat. I ended up in a and e after collapsing at work with severe jaundice on top. They then discharged me still with a sore throat that turned out to be all my glands swelling up in my neck constricting my throat . I collapsed the next morning getting out of bed at 7am. The doctor refused to come out on an emergency call. After my brother arguing with them they came out and ended having to call the ambulance as I was so bad she was talking about an emergency trachochtamy on the spot.
Or the time they failed to diagnose my daughter being chronically ill after loosing 1 stone in 5 days even though I went back day after day as she was getting worse. In the end I went to another doctors who immediately hospitalised her. 3 days in hospital and they never did find out what was wrong with her other than a viral infection that left her weak down one side and a year off school.  The his pita also kicked her out due to children's pneumonia being epidemic that Christmas.  When discharged she could not go to the toilet walk or feed herself. The community nurse says she should never gave been discharged in that state as she never met the minimum criteria for being discharged .
So forgive me if I don't trust doctors but I think I have a damn good reason to.
As to a finger up the bum Dave. Yep had that as my dad died of lung cancer (diagnosed as a chesty cough for 2 years) and had prostate cancer. So I was immediately  checked by the doctors. They found 2 crayons and half a toilet roll.
And for the sceptics I tried all the normal remedies but before I go to the docs I was wondering if there were any others that I could try.

Ps I would like to point out above that it's 3 different doctors surgeries but the same hospital
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 12:54:11 am »

I totally commiserate with you on the sleep issue, having never found that as easy as most people who can just turn off like a light switch.  I first have to be dead beat, but even then it can take hours to go out.  I frequently wake up at least once during the night only to have to restart the whole long process all over again. 

Conversely in the morning it takes hours to fully come out of my "coma". Can't read or drive for at least an hour and a half.  Best detail model making often done at 3 AM.  No way would I attempt detail stuff before 11 AM.  Over the years I have had to learn to adjust to an average of 4 to 5 hours kip - total,  I really can't understand how people stay asleep for a full third of their day.
(Some of you might have noticed that I can Post on this forum at any hour, and often do.)

Somewhere in the body there is a mysterious "sleep switch", like when my wife decides she wants to sleep she almost goes "click" and is instantly away.  For some of us this "switch" simply does not function.  Sleeping tablets a waste of time IMO.  They only help you STAY asleep, and have no affect on a faulty sleep on/off mechanism.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 01:12:57 am »

I can understand your disillusionment with the medical profession but all you will get on Mayhem is best guesses. In which case you will just have to conduct your own diagnosis and work out the most appropriate treatment for yourself.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.