Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine Fairmile D - what's in the box  (Read 7986 times)

Big Dog

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Deans Marine Fairmile D - what's in the box
« on: November 14, 2015, 08:46:37 pm »

So my Deans Marine Fairmile D arrived and as I get ready to start the build, I thought I'd share the contents of the box with you all. The kit arrived safely, in a very large box, everything inside being well packed. I've attached photos of the contents. Kit wise, after checking all the parts off, I have to agree with what many on these forums have said about the quality of some of the fittings. Many are not very detailed and I've already consigned some of them to the rubbish bin and will be getting an order in with Battlecrafts for some of their fittings. It's a comprehensive kit, the plan is very good and it comes with an in depth build manual. I also ordered the additional CD/R containing about 400 images of the prototype build.

Overall, I must say that I think the kit is well overpriced. There's no way the value of the items in the box comes anywhere near the purchase price. I'm also a bit miffed that I paid more for the kit direct from Deans Marine than If I had ordered it from either of the model shops I visited whilst I was researching my kit options. Also disappointed that Deans Marine charged for and used a fairly expensive courier, whilst the model shops would have delivered for free. Moral of the story is: don;t order direct from Deans Marine, go to your local hobby store and save a few quid.       

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans Marine Fairmile D - what's in the box
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:22:12 am »

So my Deans Marine Fairmile D arrived and as I get ready to start the build, I thought I'd share the contents of the box with you all. The kit arrived safely, in a very large box, everything inside being well packed. I've attached photos of the contents. Kit wise, after checking all the parts off, I have to agree with what many on these forums have said about the quality of some of the fittings. Many are not very detailed and I've already consigned some of them to the rubbish bin and will be getting an order in with Battlecrafts for some of their fittings. It's a comprehensive kit, the plan is very good and it comes with an in depth build manual. I also ordered the additional CD/R containing about 400 images of the prototype build.

Overall, I must say that I think the kit is well overpriced. There's no way the value of the items in the box comes anywhere near the purchase price. I'm also a bit miffed that I paid more for the kit direct from Deans Marine than If I had ordered it from either of the model shops I visited whilst I was researching my kit options. Also disappointed that Deans Marine charged for and used a fairly expensive courier, whilst the model shops would have delivered for free. Moral of the story is: don;t order direct from Deans Marine, go to your local hobby store and save a few quid.     

Yes, I frequently find it is cheaper to buy from a retail outlet than from the manufactures site.
There maybe an agreement that the manufacturer will not undercut retailers prices?????.
If you look up Italeri's on line store for 1/35 kits, you will find on line retailers are cheaper than Italeri.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:30:59 am »

And as for the 'expensive' courier.........I would rather pay the extra and have the model turn up in good condition than have the 'free' (ie cheapest that the retailer can find) option and have the model kicked about the warehouse for a week before getting my hands on it.  Bear in mind - the kit remains the responsibility of the sender until the receiver accepts it....so the sender is quite within his rights to use the courier of his own choice.

Yes, I agree, buying from a retailer direct - IN PERSON - will most likely keep that retailer in business, but then there are some kit manufacturers that do not sell through retailers.............. %) . So if you want one of THEIR products you will have to buy direct.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:05 am »

Oh - and by the way...........

If you think the price of a kit is solely based on the sum of its parts, might I politely suggest you have a read of my 'build article' here on Mayhem - "Development of a Kit....".  You might, just might, have an appreciation of the costs that go into preparing a kit...........

I will give you a little hint.............Over 4 years so far and something like £8000.................

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:19:38 am »

And it does build into a great boat!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:14:18 pm »

There are a lot of sunk costs in developing a model and these have to be recovered, also there's no knowing how many they will sell of a particualar model so there is a risk factor; and let's be realistic they are a business and need to cover overheads of running the company and make a profit.

Having made two Dean's models they do make a good kit eventually, but all the criticism on this site of Deans models is justified. A little bit more attention to detail would eliminate a lot of the issues, eg quality of castings, inaccuracy of the printed plastic card, inaccuracies in the plans compared to the model and supplied fittings, etc (my experiences with Solebay and Nubian). Stick with it I look forward to following your build.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:29:59 pm »

Nineteen years ago I built Ron Deans Fletcher class destroyer yes some of the parts did need some work on them but not a major problem. If I was building this model today  I would change some of the parts but this my personal choice. Many of Ron's kits have had improvements added over the years  I have enclosed pictures of my model still going strong after 19 years service. These are my thoughts on Deans Marine and have no wish to influence any ones opinion.

Stan.

Big Dog

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 08:50:22 pm »

Wow, what a great looking model Martin. Do you have any photos of the build that I might use as points of reference? I plan to make some alterations to the kit I have - I'm going to replace the armament and some other fittings with kit from battle orders. I'm planning on opening up the windows of the chart room and replicating the internals of that area as best I can. As the ship was built out of wood, I'm planning on cladding the plastic decking supplied with thin 6mm wooden planks that I've just bought.     

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:19:25 pm »

Just been leafing through Lambert and Ross' Faimile book. Interesting to note that the decks of of the Ds were laid herringbone style whereas the earlier As, Bs, and Cs were planked diagonally straight across. The planking does show up in some photos, notably of Bs, but not often. The decks were always painted and sometimes, I believe, covered with canvas. Some photos show walkways of what appears to be coconut matting.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:53:14 am »

Hi Big dog,

I did build the Deans dogboat a few years back and most of my fittings are scratch built due to quality of fittings in kit.

Have attached a few photos.
Good luck with your build.

Graham

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:47 am »

One more boat at sea.

Hope to see photos of your build.

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.