Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpeter liberty ship  (Read 3428 times)

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Trumpeter liberty ship
« on: November 16, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »

Has anyone RC one of these kits, if so how was it to do the conversion,  and what was it like to sail.  The hull does look big enough?
Chris

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Trumpeter liberty ship
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:06:49 pm »

I looked at it - at 1/350 it's 38.5cm x 4.9 cm with a 2.5cm draught - very small and tricky to get it all in without it sitting very low in the water - probably only good for swimming pools.
I went bigger and bought 1/96 - nice and easy to fit anything inside.  :-))

There is a 1/250 scale card model available if you want to scan the sheets and get them printed onto styrene sheets at a sign-makers - not a cheap solution, but waterproof and  a useful size of 53x6.9x3.4cm

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:26:19 pm »

Hi Plastic.  That's all I want it for, something to float in my pool, I was thinking along the lines micro servo, 4-6v motor, keep it small and light :-)) .
If it works I may build a few more different ships about the same scale, just for the pool {-) {-) [size=78%] [/size]

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:59:44 pm »

I've seen it done with a very thin, flat 6v battery glued into the bottom as ballast and power with a micro servo, micro rx and speed controller. There are lots of battery powered 30cm battleship plastic models on ebay for little money where you can rob the prop & shaft & coupling but the motors are normally 1.5 or 3v with AA batteries so you'll need a different motor - plenty on ebay for 99p from China

My costing would be kit + £20 radio, £5 speed controller, £5 sacrificial model for shaft etc., £1 motor from China & £10 for best-shaped, highest capacity battery.  :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 09:31:17 pm »

Check out some of the indoor flying sets. You can get very lightweight receivers and servos powered by a single cell LiPo. The receivers often have an esc on board for a small brushed motor. The receivers are normally Spectrum DSM2 compatible.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:53 am »

Thanks to both of you for the advice,  I'm getting quite excited about the challenge  O0 :-)) . This may start a hole new line in the Hoby for me :-)).
Any more surgestions are very welcome.
Chris

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:22 am »

check out the airfix kit conversion set up that deans do, probably the best set up
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:01:00 am »

I would suggest considering the Deltang DSM2 Rx 60 range of receivers with built in ESC(s) for micro work, especially if you already have a DSM2 Tx.  I use Micron to supply these fully configured to my requirements and can recommend them strongly:

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_land_r6.html

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 10:26:35 am »

I'm not sure you need to go to these extremes - the tiny 2.4GHz rx on cheap 2-channel radio sets weigh next to nothing and a the same goes for the cheap Chinese ESC from Ebay - the biggest/heaviest thing by miles will be the battery, motor and wiring so I'd save the money on radio parts and look at the battery shape & capacity to get the C of G as low as possible.

It can all be so low cost that I'd be tempted to do a 'fit and forget' installation with a on/off switch & charging socket in the highest point of the superstructure and seal everything else up for maximum waterproofing.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:24 am »

check out the airfix kit conversion set up that deans do, probably the best set up
I have looked on there site and can't find it?  Do they still do it?
Chris

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 01:24:40 pm »

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_29/products_id/2726 is the original set which is forwards only and best for a high speed model such as the Airfix RAF launch or the Vosper MTB.

They announced the Microgear 2 set with astern as well here on  MBM in 2013 but no sign of it now that I can find on the DM website:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44318.msg448124.html#msg448124

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 03:29:46 pm »

Thanks for that, but the price and postage will make it unaffordable for a rather cheap model. I might go the cheap toy root, that way you get it all TX and all the running gear,  it's only for the pool %)
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.