Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Return to Modelling  (Read 2753 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
Return to Modelling
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »

I am trying to get back into modelling after a long hiatus, and have been looking at a few model kits – One that interests me is Mobile Marine Models - Stan Tug 1906 (http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/stan-tug-1906-58-c.asp) – Is there any reviews of this kit and what are Mobile Marine Models products like?
Are there any other Tug kits that I should be considering?
The other question is – are  there any modelling clubs in the Inverness area ? – I know about Pentland Model Boat Club (100+ Miles away) and Tarlair (80+ miles away) but nothing local. (and I think Tarlair has ceased operating)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Return to Modelling
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »

Shame you live so far north - Mobile Marine are having an open day on the 28th November....you would have been able to ask all about the kit directly with the manufacturer.

As to the kit itself, sorry but I am not aufait with it myself - but I am sure that someone who is will be along presently!

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:02:46 pm »

Thanks - Wish I could make it down to Lincoln - but can't find an "appropriate" excuse {-)

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
  • Derby M.B.C. Celebrating 40 years afloat 1976-2016
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:46:44 pm »

Fancy starting a club of your own?A long standing member of our club here in the Midlands is moving up your way in the next month or so and he will be looking for someone and somewhere to sail.He is moving to Burghead.

Personally I am a big fan of modelslipway.com kits.Very comprehensive,high quality,great plans and construction manual.They offer a nice range of kits with the Wyeforce being particularly good value.

Regards Will.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:09:34 pm »

Know Burghead very well and tell your friend to enjoy the 11th January when the burn the Clavie - There used to be someone who sometimes sailed model boats in the Harbour near the slipway there back in the late 80's - The local model railway groups have two shows a year at Elgin - The one in November is more general often attended by the Pentland Model Boat Club. The Culbin model club at Forres may be able to point him in the right direction of a sailing pond/loch.

Will check out the Wyeforce.

Not sure there is enough interest in the area for a club :(( but if anyone on the forum is interested or know otherwise...

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:28:36 pm »

I understand that the Wyeforce is just a hull and template pack these days - not a full kit anymore.
I may be mistaken, but check their website out.  They have a good range of tug kits.
(Which reminds me, I really must get around to finishing my MS kit - Yorkshireman.  Only been building it for 15 years  {-) )

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:22:15 am »

The other question is – are  there any modelling clubs in the Inverness area ? – I know about Pentland Model Boat Club (100+ Miles away) and Tarlair (80+ miles away) but nothing local. (and I think Tarlair has ceased operating)

I believe that the Macduff club are still in existence although with small numbers of members. They no longer sail at the Tarlair pool but use a pond on a farmers land. I don't have any contact information as they are no longer a Federation member but you could try the contact details on their old website.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:30 pm »

Macduff / Tarlair was always had a display at the Elgin Model Show (November) but I don't recall seeing them anytime after 2006 (could be as early as 2004) - I tried contacting them circa 2006-8 with limited success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.