Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has this a use in model boat control  (Read 2294 times)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Has this a use in model boat control
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:32:52 pm »

RS keep sending me emails and this turned up today , I saw the GPS function and wondered if it would be any good for boat control . Bearing in mind it will take me a very long time to work out how to set it all up if it will work .
    • RS Stock No.901-5121[/font]
    • Mfr. Part No.MCS75[/font]
    Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
    • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
    Re: Has this a use in model boat control
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:56:18 am »

I'm currently collecting info on gps for my next build, it seems to be the way to go in some places in europe. At events they plot a course via the gps and let the ship operated itself out on the lake. There are other and cheaper modules to be had if you check the Arduino/electronic/robotic sites.looks like the upcoming next big thing for r/c.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
    • Full Mayhemer
    • Bobbing Along!
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:31 am »

Invention is the motherhood of necessity?

It's very clever - I'd like to think of a use for it so I can play with one - but for a model boats, what's the point?

If you want to have your boat sailing around the pond on its own, why bother going with it?
    Isn't the whole point to be your own captain rather being than being someone watching on the side?

The Lindberg Blue Devil has a cam mechanism that makes it sail on its own in circles, squares or a figure 8 - no-one keeps that feature when they rc them - it's the first thing ripped out.

Bob K

• Bob K
    • Full Mayhemer
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:10:08 am »

It may be a useful alternative to the aircraft style Fail Safe fitted to almost all transmitters.
    ie: on loss of signal transmitters abandon the boat out on the lake, unless you can get someone to push it in with a rescue tug.  Personally I would much prefer to have a facility where on loss of signal the boat automatically returns to its start point using GPS. 
    HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:33:58 am »

There are several autopilots intended for aircraft that could be used in a boat, these generally have a return to home function as a failsafe. The only problem is that the GPS is only accurate to around +/- 2 metres. Ok for a plane or a quadcopter which will orbit the take off point or land on an open runway but could lead to a boat ramming the side of the pond.

Jim
    Dundee Model Boat club

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
    • Full Mayhemer
    • Bobbing Along!
    « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:48:58 am »

There are several autopilots intended for aircraft that could be used in a boat, these generally have a return to home function as a failsafe. The only problem is that the GPS is only accurate to around +/- 2 metres. Ok for a plane or a quadcopter which will orbit the take off point or land on an open runway but could lead to a boat ramming the side of the pond.

Jim

Or stopping itself just out of reach.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.