Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiring twin screw & bow thuster Tug using 3 ESC's  (Read 2786 times)

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Wiring twin screw & bow thuster Tug using 3 ESC's
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:52:17 pm »

Hi everyone,
     I am re building an Eldergarth tug with 2 main motors and a bow thruster. I am using 3 Electronise ESC's one with a BEC to one of the main motors the other main motor will have a non BEC controller as will the bow thruster, they are all 15amp. The TX & RX are Planet T5. I have successfully wired my Norton cross with a single screw and bow thruster but this is the first twin screw with a bow thruster that I have wired up.
     I am thinking that I need to connect the servo lead to the first channel, BEC controller to the second channel(Port motor) then bow thruster  ESC to the third channel and then the Starboard motor ESC to the next channel thus enabling single motor control i.e. Tank steering.
     As all the gear is new the last thing I want to do is burn it out so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Electrics are like a maze to me shame its not a piece of wood.
      All help gratefully received.
           Cheers,
                Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wiring twin screw & bow thuster Tug using 3 ESC's
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »

Try having a look at Componant Shop web site there might be a wiring diagram done by DM  there is one for Fairmount Alpine that will be of help I would think.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

mrturbo553

• Full Mayhemer
    • North Sea winches
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:29:57 pm »

Pete , haven't you got a pal on the east coast you could ring ?  %)
Aid

Ps I mean poll !!!
Gone racing back in 9.5 sec
http://www.nswinches.co.uk

inertia

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:14 am »

First you need to identify which channel is operated by which stick. You do this by plugging a servo into the channel marked "1", switching on the Tx and Rx and wiggling the sticks until you find out which movement of which stick moves the servo. Draw a picture of the two sticks as shown and label it as Channel 1. Then simply repeat the process for all of the other channels and you'll finish up with a complete diagram which you can save for future reference. The diagram is from an article on the Model Boats website, BTW.
Armed with this information, and referring to the diagram shown, you now connect the Rudder servo to Ch 1; RH motor ESC to Ch 2; the bow-thruster ESC to Ch 3 and LH motor ESC to Ch 4 (all refer to the numbers as drawn). It doesn't matter which of the ESC channels you use for the BEC-equipped ESC as long as the other two don't have BEC (or have it disabled).

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:10 am »

Thanks Inertia really helpful info, I know which channels are which (approx.) as I did plenty of head banging when I did the wiring on my Norton cross with a single screw and bow thruster. Looking at the receiver today, Planet R6m, I think it will be the next set of pins along channel 4. I am using Electronise controllers with just one BEC unit, the layout will be Servo channel 1, Bec ESC channel 2 Port motor, Non BEC ESC bow thruster channel 3, Non BEC Staboard motor channel 4. I have tried ringing Dave at Electronise but he's hard to get hold of, I need to know if it is necessary to disconnect the red + wire from the two non BEC controllers or to leave it connected? (I had to disconnect the red wire on the bow thruster ESC on the Norton cross).
     Yo Shady,
           Bit slow of the mark there mate (its not the Malibu is it?) I've already Emailed John but thanks anyway. Looking forward to next years days at your place.
      Thanks again everyone.
               Cheers,
                    Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

inertia

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

I need to know if it is necessary to disconnect the red + wire from the two non BEC controllers

No - it's not.
There is a lot about this subject already on the forum and yet this question still comes up regularly. It would be a very good idea if the subject and related thread could be made "sticky" so that searching for it becomes a matter of just one click.
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:40:16 am »

Which specific topic FLJ?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

inertia

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:10:24 pm »

Which specific topic FLJ?

You're behind by two Forum names, m'duck... "FLJ" was drowned in a torrent of unremitting political correctness while all of "ACTion's" action was stopped three years ago.

Just put BEC into Search as part of the topic name and take your pick. Pity that few others have bothered. 

I still consider BEC to be the work of the devil.

DM (Inert, as ever)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.