Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway MV Conserver build  (Read 20025 times)

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
Model Slipway MV Conserver build
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:01:58 am »

Hi guys, I've been hovering around here for a little while and gained some great inspiration, the quality of builds on here is just top-notch. So I thought I'd lower the bar and stick my build on here lol.

This will be my first 'proper' build, until now I've only really converted plastic kits, having been a plastic modeller for around 15 years, and dabbling in RC cars for about 10. I started with the Revell Flower Class as my first attempt which turned out great so I then moved onto the Type VIIC which I converted into a surface runner. After that I wanted to try something a little bigger so I bought a Krick Lisa.M which I thoroughly enjoyed building, but did put me off using wood as I'm just not great with it lol. Again though it turned out fairly well in the end.I've been eyeing up the MS kits for a few months now, but I decided to stick my U-Boat up for sale before starting anything new.

So with U-552 now under a new Kaleun on the sunny Isle of Man, I took a trip to the guys at Model Slipway, who are conveniently only around 30 mins drive from where I live in Sheffield. After a good chat with Jackie and Lawrie, and a look around their amazing workshop, I parted with my cash and left with a rather large box.

Photo: http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/data/506/medium/0_-_Conserver_Grangemouth_A400_54_056v_A2_cr_ps_Sx2_x_wp_15.JPG

I elected to go for the MV Conserver. The original vessel was built in the 80's for the Forth Port Authority and operated out of Grangemouth. Primarily used for hydrographical survey work and buoy handling, it features an unusual wheelhouse offset to the Port side to allow the winching in of buoy and mooring chains for inspection, and also has a large HIAB sea crane midships to haul in the buoys themselves. It's now in the hands of Seahunter Marine, operating out of Granton near Edinburgh, who use it for various tasks including salvage, fishing, towing etc. It was also this year's hospitality boat for the Royal Forth Yacht Club's Edinburgh Gin Regatta.The Conserver is one of MS's earlier kits and actually dates from 1994. Obviously their newer ones feature CNC cut styrene parts, however this kit, along with 4 others, are built the old fashioned way, with templates, plans, and an optional styrene material pack. This was something that originally scared the bejebus out of me but I've kind of come round to it as I love the look of the thing so much.

So, the kit:

In the box, we get a one piece GRP moulded hull, a materials pack which contains a few sheets of 1.5mm and 1mm styrene, as well as a pre printed sheet of parts. A selection of styrene lengths, brass rod, and a vac formed sheet of parts for 3 buoys.

Next up, we also get 2 sheets of full size plans, 2 sheets of parts templates, a very comprehensive and well written manual, and lovely box stuffed full of resin, white metal and vac formed fittings.

In the fittings box:
1. Anchor/mooring chain winch
2. Vac formed lumps and bumps for the anchor hawse, and radars.
3. Vac formed life raft canisters
4. Motor mount
5. White metal hoist kit
6. Macs Mouldings resin deck crane kit
7. Wooden shaped dowel for the mast
8. Rubber rubbing strip
9. White metal rudder
10. Loads of white metal parts including interior bits, stanchions, grilles, vents etc.

The running gear:
1. Mabuchi 555 motor
2. Action Electronics Indicator fuse board
3. Action Electronics P80 Condor ESC
4. High torque metal geared steering servo
5. Receiver
6. Receiver battery pack
7. 50mm M4 4 bladed brass prop
8. M4 prop shaft (included in the kit)
9. Universal joint
10. 12v 7Ah Sealed Lead Acid battery
11. On/Off switch12. 20amp car fuse holder.

I managed to get the gear all wired up yesterday, using the Action Electronics gear makes it a breeze as all the connections are screwed in. I soldered a capacitor set onto the motor, followed by the wires. This setup should give some good torque, and the 7Ah battery will ensure a good long runtime.Onto the build:

So, I'm following the manual to the letter as I'm kind of diving in at the deep end here, but luckily the instructions are second to none and outline every little step needed, and anything you need to look out for along the way. So, I made a modest start tonight by drilling a 6mm hole, 31mm from the stern to accommodate the rudder tube.

Once in place, the next job is to construct the keel, made from 4 1.5mm styrene parts.

These were cut out, transferred to styrene and carefully scored with a knife before snapping out. Once together the strange cut out forms a notch into which the white metal rudder skeg sits, and the edge which will eventually be the upper part forms a trench for the prop shaft to sit in. This keel then sits right up into the hull after cutting a slot for it to slide into. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to hand in our flat to cut this so I'll be doing that on saturday at my parents house.

Finally, I assembled the 'Schilling' rudder which is a pleasingly weighty white metal casting with 2 separate sections on the top and bottom. This type of rudder is apparently extremely effective both on the real vessel and the model, and enables it to turn on it's length. It's very similar to an aerofoil in its shape.So yep, that's where I am up to now.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the holes cut and drilled out of the hull at the weekend then I can carry on fitting the running gear, electrics, deck supports, deck and rear steps before the hull will be ready for paint.

Stay tuned!
Alex

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Slipway MV Conserver build
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:41:10 am »

WOW! - you don't hang about do you ?

Can't remember seeing any build logs on this vessel so I'm staying tuned as suggested.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:41:41 pm »

haha cheers Ray, I certainly don't.

Yeah that's one reason I do want to try and get a half decent build log up, other than a few photos the only one I found was German.

I did manage to get the keel and propshaft glued in place last night so I'll try and get some pics up soon
Alex

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:33:50 pm »

Welcome to the Forum Locksley.    :-))

What a great start to your build blog.  Beautifully laid out and detailed descriptions and so interesting to read.

Well done

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:30:25 am »

Thanks Ken :)
Alex

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »

WOW! - you don't hang about do you ?

Can't remember seeing any build logs on this vessel so I'm staying tuned as suggested:-))

Regards,

Ray.

Me too, this looks good.  :-))
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

Davew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 07:50:34 pm »

Hi
Locksley is this the same kit which on the flory models site.
DaveW
I am not sure about this

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »

Hi Dave, yes it is!  :}
Alex

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 11:03:53 pm »

Little update on Conserver's progress  :-)

Got the prop shaft and keel installed.

I flooded the keel joint from the inside with Gorilla glue

I then got the deck beams installed. These are made up from 3 pieces of 1.5mm styrene which I then Gorilla glued into the hull. You can also see I fitted the motor mount and motor.

The final bit of cutting to the hull sees the stern steps installed, which are made up from 4 bits of styrene. These fit together well but the hull takes a little bit of work to sand down to the correct profile.

Final job today was to fit the lifting eyes. These are 4 white metal castings which need a little cleanup, but as with all the fittings they are very nicely done. Again,these are glued in place and clamped.

So, next job will be to place the deck support strips around the inside edge of the hull, and then I should be able to get the deck fitted :)
Apologies for the rather boring post, trying to get all these mundane tasks out of the way.

Alex

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:39:39 am »

Not boring at all, they are all important jobs.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 09:03:03 pm »

Cool! Havent posted here for a while since selling my Drumbeat and Envoy tug and flying my helis.

Conserver was always a MSW kit Id always intended building but they withdrew it before I got around to buying one. Then I saw it re advertised on the site minutes after Jackie had put it back on sale (must be 3 years ago?).

Deffo going to get one of these and might just find its way into my Christmas box. Will follow this thread!

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »

As has already been said nice start enjoyed reading the log.
I will hang around and watch her grow  :-))
colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 07:49:44 pm »

Hi Locksley, the Conserver was the very first boat I built x years ago, a nice build but the only
Problem I had was with the rudder. Mine was a white metal casting including rod.
If I accidentally knocked it it would twist the rod and alter the rudder setting.
After a short while the rod broke
I removed the rudder and replaced the rod with a 4mm brass rod.
Problem solved, I also made an access hatch in front of the steps for easy rudder assy
Adjustments
I have had many happy hours sailing her, I hope you have the same enjoyment.
Hope this helps

John

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »

Thanks again guys.

John, the tip regarding the rudder is very useful thanks, I think I'll try that. I have noticed it bending already.

In terms of progress, I've got all the styrene deck supports in place, she's now awaiting the deck. Had a little break over Christmas to do some plastic aircraft modelling, but I'll be getting back into her soon :)

Alex

BWRIGHT

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 11:12:01 pm »

Hello i'm building the teskoa ll and worried about the rudders. Did  you drill all the way thru the rudder to replace the shaft? And how did you attach the new shaft to the rudder?

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 07:59:36 pm »

Hi bwright, when I drilled mine on the Conserver I drilled it half way, filled flats on the
rod I was going to use and fixed it with resin/araldite adhesive never had a problem since.

john

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:09 pm »

Getting back into the swing of it now, managed to splash some paint on the hull over the weekend :)

Laid down a few coats of hycote primer after slightly keying the hull.

I then made some sacrificial anodes from plasticard which can just about be seen on some pictures of the real thing.

Once the anodes were in place, I prepared the hull for the antifoul red. I began by mottling the grey primer with some white Stynylrez primer, followed by more mottling with Zero Paints black.

Finally, I laid down a good few coats of Zero red

Next job will be painting the upper hull black.
Alex

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 10:39:51 am »

Hi guys, had another break but I'm back at it now.

I masked off an sprayed in the anodes with Vallejo Metal Colour Aluminium. Needs a bit of touching up

I also got the bulwarks cut out and attached. These are all on the pre-printed styrene sheet so it's a piece of cake to get them cut. I actually glued the vertical supports to the bulwarks before gluing the entire thing to the bow, foolishly going against the instructions. It wasn't a total disaster but I did have to remove and reposition a few. Finally I attached the topper and sanded it all smooth. Rather than filling smooth the joint between the bulwarks and deck, I used a raised bead of Vallejo filler to simulate welds. Doesn't look too bad I don't think.

The anchor/buoy winch was a joy to assemble after a little bit of sanding, and it looks ace on the deck. I haven't glued this down yet btw, so it's not in it's final position.

Next up, I have a little more fettling to do in the Starboard bulwark, then I need to decide what to do next. Maybe the rear engine casing thing that sticks up off the deck.
Alex

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 11:12:55 am »

Locksley nice build  :-))  i will be watching this with interest.
as i have the conserver that needs rebuilding after a run in with parcel force  <*< lol
so im looking foreword to seeing your up dates and im subscribe
keep up the great work
regards
Mick

you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 10:50:49 am »

Thanks Mick  :-))  Make sure to post up some photos.

Another small update. I got the stern deck housing built up, along with the lower wheelhouse. Gotta say, everything fits like a dream. It's all going together beautifully. A credit to Model Slipway's quality.

The stern housing, I made some slight changes to the shape of the vent, these come round but looking at recent pics of the vessel they are now more trapezoid in shape. I just squished it with some pliers tbh. I also wrapped some styrene strips around it, again according to recent photos.

And the lower wheelhouse. So far pretty much to the instructions, though they say to cut out a large sheet of styrene to wrap around the front section, I found this didn't quite work so instead cut 3 sections for the sides/front, then glued strips around the curves. These will be filled and sanded smooth.

Alex

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 10:32:40 am »

Another quick update.

Put the front hatch together and got it glued to the front of the wheelhouse. I added the clips/locks to it to reflect the real one as again, this is slightly different.

I also made a start on the stern railings. Tried soldering but I only have a little battery soldering pen thing to hand so decided to just super glue for now. I'll reinforce the joints with some milliput too I think.

Alex

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 01:40:51 pm »

nice up date Locksley and looking good.
have a look at the link and you will see what i have to work with  <:(
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54469.0.html
keep up the great work.
regards
Mick

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 02:49:18 pm »

Thanks Mick, ParcelFarce sure have made a nice mess of that :(
Alex

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 09:30:34 am »

Stern railings basically done, just the hand rails for the steps and the life belt holders to make up. I also glued the chain stantions in place and added some jewellers chain.

To attach the bollards, I drilled 2 small holes in the bottom and pinned them through the deck. Hopefully this should be strong enough for some very basic towing, and also to hold fenders.
Alex

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 03:08:16 pm »

Thanks Mick, ParcelFarce sure have made a nice mess of that :(

they sure did Locksley i now have the wheel house top removed and whats left of the fittings and she is not to bad i will use the parts removed as templates
for the rebuild which i hope to start soon. (i refuse to let this nice little boat die )  %% :-))

the railings on your boat look great and i like the use of the chain looks the part mate.
regards
Mick

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 21 queries.