Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are all servos rubber mounted?  (Read 1728 times)

MickK

• Full Mayhemer
Why are all servos rubber mounted?
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:59:51 am »

Why do all servos have rubber mountings? ?

All that does is to bring into the system, (any system) an unknown movement that I'm trying to get rid of!

Is it a throwback to the time when everyone had to use petrol/diesel/IC/whatever, motors that vibrated to the max? ?

These days, electric motors can run so smooth in a boat that there is no vibration to be felt.

Just a thought.

Mick

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Why are all servos rubber mounted?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:16:22 am »

I never use the supplied fixings - I either silicone them into position or use velcro & ty-wraps.

But yes, the original rubber mounts were to stop them being shaken to pieces with IC motors.

inertia

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:22:58 am »

You've answered your own question, Mick. Once again it's something we have been bequeathed by our model aircraft/helicopter/car colleagues, who probably buy 99.99% of all servos sold.
To be properly mounted there should be a brass eyelet in each grommet to prevent the screw from compressing the grommet too much and distorting it. The theory was that this would introduce the best level of anti-vibration mount that was possible in such a small space. These days you need to look at the way the power-boat guys mount their servos to see what's possible in that area.
Lawrie White (Model Slipway) has for a long time used a simple styrene-sheet box into which the servo is a push fit. As far as I know he's never had any problems with vibration. Most of my models are made of wood and have either ply or hardwood servo mounts, so I use the grommets simply because they fill up the big holes in the servo lugs!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:43:57 am »

As modellers, I am sure that we can find other uses for the "free" spare parts such as grommets and eyelets.  Resilient motor mounts springs to mind.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.