Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem project! Mayhem SMBSS! (Simple Model Boat Sound System )  (Read 14580 times)

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem project! Mayhem SMBSS! (Simple Model Boat Sound System )
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 06:33:03 pm »

The single message recorder from Maplins looks good. Can have an external trigger input (from reciever?) and has a speed adjuster, could this be linked into the reciever somehow? Depending on how you adjust the speed, if it's mechanical (looks like its a potentiometer)  you could hitch it up to a servo?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »

If the speed control is a trimpot  a tad awkward
driving it with a servo on a y lead from the RX.
The switch is a PCB mounted button switch.

If this was a good set up we would all use them
instead of purpose built units.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

springersrus

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »

These are the sound systems that a lot of our club members are using from technobots  they sound very good in the tugs much dearer than making one from maplin kits but a lot easier.
http://www.technobotsonline.com/light-and-sound-effects/model-engine-sound-effects.html

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 11:02:54 am »

If the speed control is a trimpot  a tad awkward
driving it with a servo on a y lead from the RX.
The switch is a PCB mounted button switch.

If this was a good set up we would all use them
instead of purpose built units.

Ned
The Maplin kit http://www.maplin.co.uk/single-message-record-playback-kit-265464  looks a lot like the voice recording cards you can get to fit in greetings cards.  Had they not dumped the bare chips 7 years ago as soon as I first found that they were useful (this is an old thread), we could have been using them all this time. 
It is an excellent set-up, but needs a bit of thought and understanding of its limitations.  Basically, its based on a greeting card sound module ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Sec-Sound-Voice-Recordable-Module-for-Greeting-Card-/111073073259  ).  It is good for a single sound.  The switch can be removed and wired off to a switcher or a switch on a servo.  The output will probably need amplifying before it gets to the speaker - a self contained amplifier/speaker will do a good job if the model can carry it.  A trim pot on the board can be replaced by a more normal size external one on a bit of wire and adjusted by a servo.
This does require a bit of lateral thinking, and, for most modelers the effort is just not worth it when there is a heap of good ready made products at very little extra cost.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

HI ALL
      I recently brought from maplins single-message-record-playback-kit-265464 with the idea having a play about to see what could be done with it, the unit can be made to work in a constant loop. The way the sample frequency pot works can all so be made to alter the speed of the recording by connecting up a few more electronic bits which can be wired in to the RX on your boat with out having to use servos. Unit has got mic built on the board that can be changed so you can have what they call the line in which you could use to plug into a CD player or what ever you won't to record from.

I have recently been playing around with a unit that has got a SD card in it the sort of things you use in camcorders, the unit has got a pic chip in it and what you are able to do is record what ever you won't on to the SD card and play it back. I have got it working but have put it on the back burner as i have had to much to do with other electronics. I have just finished off designing new FM video transmitter and receiver.

I must say i played around with recordable sound units many years ago build multiple eprom storage system with constant loop in system so you would be able to constantly repeat the same track in a loop  part of this was built with radio link so you could hear what was going off in the boat on the receiver unit on the bank side. Unit was all so cuppulled up with 40 watt audio amp so it was loud.

Since i played around with eproms electronics has come on a long way in a short time but with things like SD cards you can do all sorts of things in a small unit that you would not have been able to do many years ago.

All the best Sub John

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
  • If its to windy to fly I'm boating
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:46 pm »

John
Sounds sweet. .  now with that coupled to the throttle so it revs up as you apply power is what most people would be looking for . .  well me any way so bring it to the front burner and ill have one  :-))
Well when you let us know a price that is

all the best Gazza
P.S just started sanding down torpedoes ready for your sub . . . KA BOOM
retired and loving it

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
  • If its to windy to fly I'm boating
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

Hi All
So been talking to SUB John and at the moment he's playing with electronic stuff again but with a SOUND SYSTEM that can work on the Throttle channel and get faster and slower . .  but its to be working on a sound SD card (micro ) Oh yes hurry up please John keep us all posted on what you have planed with this new GIZMO you got

The best bit is you can put what ever sound you want on the card to play in what ever Boat / Car / Tank or even a Plane . . and may be with some extra goodies as well . .  :-)) :-)) :-))

Sweet
retired and loving it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.