Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shed Life  (Read 4932 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Shed Life
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:30:38 pm »

Hi guys

I'm one week on from a double knee arthroscopy (chickened out on half knees) and the boredom of a week's shuffling has gotten to me.

So today I thought I'd slowly tackle the mess inside my tiny boat shed. It's so small I can't work in there unless it is quite tidy. During summer I tend to dump various stuff in there rather than walking down to the big sheds. I probably need another hour to finish it ready for some work but about ninety minutes ago I fetched a coffee out and have just sat here and ruminated quietly on all things (and friends) boaty; whilst enjoying the welcome output of my little oil radiator.

I wonder why is it that I seem to find a real peace only in my shed? Ok no disturbances, no outside noise, no clear glass - but it can't just be that surely. I can spend all day in the house alone and not feel that way at all. So I wondered what other people thought about their shed life?

I have also just realised how durable tiny cobwebs must be. I look up to see some fine red strands and know I haven't used a red rattle can in almost three years.

Regards Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Shed Life
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:07:26 pm »

I can relate to this Dave  :-))

Whilst it isn't a 'shed' as such, my workshop (aka garage) is my haven from everyday life.  I, too, enjoy to just sit and contemplate.

But, at the moment, it is mostly just sitting there and wondering how the hell I am supposed to pull all this kit making lark together!!!!! {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:20:21 pm »

:-)) Dave I think you will find that your little shed is your private space and only yours,the fact that when you are alone in doors feels different because other people can occupy that space even if you are the only person there,even if you are not doing anything in the shed you can get your thoughts together and relax,sadly my wife has insisted that I have a phone in the workshop so I an answer it when I am alone in the house which has destroyed the peace which I find in my little haven, even though it does ring that frequently,so enjoy you little shed......Ray. :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:32:50 pm »

Cherish your shed moments Dave.  We all sometimes need our own little space to withdraw to and recharge our internal batteries.  Luckily my workshop is indoors, but I can close the door and contemplate some build method or do some research. Vastly more constructive than clearing off to the pub.  We have eight living here, and a television that seems locked onto forensic dramas or so-called 'reality' boredom.  My brain would otherwise atrophy unless I can slide away from time to time, and occasionally slope off to the lake for some quiet R&R.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:48:50 pm »

Not much more to say really
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »

A man needs a shed as a sanctuary. My late father in law had one where he would go and organise his collection of screws and fittings. When they moved to a flat he had nowhere to go and turned into a vegetable, dying shortly after. I told my wife , noway do we go anywhere that hasn't got a 10'x8' shed. We are staying put, it would take years to clear out my garage anyway..

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:11:55 pm »

& Dave says....... "it would take years to clear out my garage anyway"

Couldn't agree more Dave :-))...this is why we as mankind have children  O0 ...yes to clean out the shed & sell off the machinery after the father falls from that perch...........Derek {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:22:57 pm »

Garages are valuable archaeological sites, well mine is anyway.

Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 11:35:21 pm »

& Dave says....... "it would take years to clear out my garage anyway"

Couldn't agree more Dave :-)) ...this is why we as mankind have children  O0 ...yes to clean out the shed & sell off the machinery after the father falls from that perch...........Derek {-)

Or what happens is that the garage contents gets passed on to the next generation who think "well dad must have kept this for a reason so we best had too" while adding to it
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:47:52 pm »

We live in terraced housing, no garage, just a walled backyard (Coronation Street style) - I do however, have my 12ft x 7ft brick built shed (dry dock), complete with a little oil filled radiator just like Mersey Dave says.

The shed only has room for 1 person to work in reasonable comfort - Bonus.
The only downside for me is that I have to share the space with 2 chest freezers - but that's a small price to pay for the pleasures of building model boats.

Again, like Dave, I find "real peace" in there and sometimes spend hours just contemplating future builds or making notes of what needs doing next on the current build and in what sequence.

No wonder it takes me so long to complete my models.  {-)

Regards,

Ray.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

The 'Boat Shed' - Nemo's wee bit of solitude, place of contemplation and brain-challenges - without which, he would not last 5 minutes!

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 02:38:44 pm »

:-)) Nemo,if I was you I get some more locks on that shed,the scumbags would find it easy to get in there,my mate went away for a weekend with his wife and when he came home some rat had broken into his shed,they stole all his tools and worst of all smashed up all his boats, in fact they wrecked the place,he got a few grand from insurance company but it has upset him so much he hardly uses the shed anymore and does very little modeling,after that I put the shed on the house alarm system,added extra locks and security lights,I know it might sound excessive but I don't want any drugged up scumbag invading my little haven of peace and tranquility,remember a few bob spent now might save a lot of heartache later,great shed by the way and lovely garden......Ray :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 03:14:24 pm »

:-)) Nemo,if I was you I get some more locks on that shed,the scumbags would find it easy to get in there,my mate went away for a weekend with his wife and when he came home some rat had broken into his shed,they stole all his tools and worst of all smashed up all his boats, in fact they wrecked the place,he got a few grand from insurance company but it has upset him so much he hardly uses the shed anymore and does very little modeling,after that I put the shed on the house alarm system,added extra locks and security lights,I know it might sound excessive but I don't want any drugged up scumbag invading my little haven of peace and tranquility,remember a few bob spent now might save a lot of heartache later,great shed by the way and lovely garden......Ray :-))

Absolutely! Definitely put some form of alarm system in there.

As everyone else has said though, I find a certain amount of solace when I'm on my own in the workshop (garage really). I might not get a massive amount done in any single time, but it's nice to have that peace to reflect or reminisce on whatever you want to.
Cheers,

-Adam-

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »

That is a beautiful  :kiss: little shed you have there Nemo :-)).....if you were a a a little tipsy wondering around the backyard, you wouldn't get lost.....just head straight for the door that says boat shed........ {-) .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 07:56:03 pm »

I would tend not to use the sign.  Countryside behind you and such a small fence.   %)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:09 pm »

Absolutely! Definitely put some form of alarm system in there.
As everyone else has said though, I find a certain amount of solace when I'm on my own in the workshop (garage really). I might not get a massive amount done in any single time, but it's nice to have that peace to reflect or reminisce on whatever you want to.

As a former Crime Prevention Officer I do know a wee bit about security!  ok2 Although my padlock looks not much from the photo, it is a speciality and the staple is heavy duty and through-bolted (is yours?), and yes, I do have an alarm system and 2 security lamps!  My 2 Dobermans, Dangerous and Savage also help.
Bob.

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:23 pm »

As a former Crime Prevention Officer I do know a wee bit about security!  ok2 Although my padlock looks not much from the photo, it is a speciality and the staple is heavy duty and through-bolted (is yours?), and yes, I do have an alarm system and 2 security lamps!  My 2 Dobermans, Dangerous and Savage also help.

Consider me put back on my stool  :D
Cheers,

-Adam-

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 09:34:28 pm »

Consider me put back on my stool  :D

:-)) Adam, it doesn't hurt to mention the possibility of lack of security any time. I came across countless instances of careless lack of it which would make you weep when you consider the value of tools, not to mention the models themselves and owners who think it may 'never happen to them'. I considered my shed alarm absolutely essential and was a small price to pay, knowing that the racket when it does go off would frighten off any ne'er-do-well and send him home to change his underwear!    O0
Bob.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »

Ah dear
I am one of those people with only a front door type lock on my shed and no alarm. I shall have to do more than think about upgrading security. My Staffordshire Bull Terrier is too friendly by far though she will bark if the intruder is unfortunate enough to be carrying a biscuit.

Any suggestions on an alarm?

Dave

mrturbo553

• Full Mayhemer
    • North Sea winches
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:22:32 pm »

Re Alarm
Drop a pm to ministeve on here , absolutely mint job
Aid
Gone racing back in 9.5 sec
http://www.nswinches.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.