Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old modeller, new member  (Read 6086 times)

aln101boat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Old modeller, new member
« on: November 23, 2015, 08:30:14 pm »

Hello there folks,
27 yrs ago I built a model of the german lifeboat "Adolf Bermpohl" from the graupner kit. Every few years the installation got modified/ upgraded. Briefly had a glow motor on the middle propshaft, now three 545s. The daughter boat got RC too.  Not sailed much now due to some radio issues.
I recently bought a Precedent 48" wooden kit of the Huntsman 31. I owned a (real) 28ft Huntsman for a few years, so some sentimental value there. It's half built, but progress is slowing as I need to be sure I've thought of everything before glueing the deck on. The kits basically not bad, but seriously omits a lot of the features and finishing of the real boat. I'll be adding these.
I like a model to behave as close to original as possible, so will be correct weight, have twin shafts and rudders, and aim for appropriate scale speed for 30knots. As I only require two speed controllers and a rudder servo, I intend to start with an old futaba M series 27mhz radio set which works perfectly.
I'm keeping an eye on meetings planned so hopefully will bump into some of you there (not on the water of course).
Rgds Alan Sinclair
Lochgilphead, Argyll.
Seems most of the model shops and suppliers I knew have disappeared, although the internet is a new resource.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Old modeller, new member
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:33:08 pm »

Greetings Alan,

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Not much like lake test weather up there in Argyll this weekend was it?!

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:42:48 pm »

Welcome to the forum Alan.
Pond weed is your enemy

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:17:03 pm »

Hi Alan,
Welcome to Mayhem.

I know what you mean about all the old model shops vanishing, it can make it tricky to get hold of stuff easily... specially up here.

I am just up the road in Cairnbaan if you fancy a chat anytime.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:58:02 pm »

Another Scot, welcome.  The real Adolf Bermpohl is in the Deutches Museum  Munich jf you are passing or need details.
..well can you land on this?

aln101boat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:39:31 am »

Thanks for the welcome folks.
Models have to be waterproof on top as well in Argyll !
Anyone have futaba servo horns with the square drive? Even adding "vintage" on Ebay search doesn't find anything as old as M series {:-{
By the way. Had quite a fight with the computer writing on this forum. The font kept changing on its own to bold, italics, underlined etc. It was a "xxxxx" to undo and as you can see, there are still two different fonts in my initial post. Now it seems to be working Ok. Bah, Humbug.
Hi Sandy, I'm the closest house to the new school. Catch up with you sometime.
rgds Alan

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:54:43 pm »

:-)) Hi,Alan,regards your trouble with your fist post,It is what we Mayhemers call the ghost of the old boat modeler,don't worry he was just checking you out and by the look of it you are approved,as Martin will tell you he gets in the works and anything can happen, and after many years I think Martin got the measure of him,so a hearty welcome to mayhem and the gang,if you need any help with your models the guys on here have the answers so don't be afraid to ask if you are stuck,some fine modelers on here far better than me and have far more knowledge than I will ever have,so once again welcome.....Ray :-))     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:20:58 pm »

Hi Alan
You will be handy to get your photo etching done ,living where you are .Welcome to the Mayhem .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

aln101boat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 06:18:25 am »

Hi Alan
You will be handy to get your photo etching done ,living where you are .Welcome to the Mayhem .
David
Take it you're referring to PPD. I know them quite well.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »

Anyone have futaba servo horns with the square drive? Even adding "vintage" on Ebay search doesn't find anything as old as M series {:-{
By the way. Had quite a fight with the computer writing on this forum. The font kept changing on its own to bold, italics, underlined etc. It was a "xxxxx" to undo and as you can see, there are still two different fonts in my initial post. Now it seems to be working Ok. Bah, Humbug.
Hi Sandy, I'm the closest house to the new school. Catch up with you sometime.
rgds Alan

Hello Alan, you are in luck as I have a few square drive servo bits you require.  If you PM me with your address, I will put them in the post with my compliments.
Bob.

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 09:54:46 pm »

Anyone have futaba servo horns with the square drive? Even adding "vintage" on Ebay search doesn't find anything as old as M series

perhaps you can still get some here http://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/futaba-square-drive-servo-horn-pack-4.html

Trevor

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 09:19:31 am »

Failing that let me know the dimensions of the square bit on the servo and Ill make you some up on my 3d printer :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 11:39:39 am »

Alan
You may have a problem locating contemporary electronic speed controllers which will run properly with your M Series. The reason is that most, if not all, modern radios have a neutral signal pulse of 1.5mS and "full throw" values of about 1.1 and 1.9, whereas the M Series' neutral was 1.3mS. I have no idea what the extreme pulse width values of a Futaba M are (i.e. full ahead and full astern) but one or both might be beyond the valid range of the ESC. The alternative would be servo-operated electro-mechanical speed controllers - or "electric fires" as we used to call them - and that's if you can get hold of a couple these days. I'd keep the M Series as a collector's item and buy a modern set for the boat if I were you.

You'll find a pretty comprehensive photo gallery of Huntsman 31 boats at the Fairey Owners' Club website https://picasaweb.google.com/116493500049865636778 and you might also get a few ideas from my slightly more recent Huntsman plans (See upcoming 'Model Boats' magazine January and February 2016).

The kit as sold these days is very little like the original Modav one, but if you need a copy of the original (1972) full-size plans then send me a PM with your regular E-Mail address and I'll see what I can do.

Dave M

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 11:45:38 am »

A lot of esc's have programmable stick range, which you set up the once for your radio. Check with the manufacturer, supplier first, but I think you should be okay. Microgyros are excellent brushed esc's and allow stick range to be programmed.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 07:20:33 pm »

I am beginning to feel like the invisible man here! {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 09:57:13 am »

.....but where you gonna find one?

For the cost of brand new modern servos that are sure to work and come with the right horns, a new servo is probably a cheaper option than trying to find a replacement "vintage" part.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 10:58:29 am »

Shout louder!
I know you're there, but I cheated and read the whole thread from the beginning... 8)

Sub-C
Good point, but they are only programmable for signals within a finite range (e.g. 1.1 - 1.9mS) - which might well exclude the pulse width(s) transmitted by the M Series at extreme full stick. It could be an expensive task trying out all the potential ESCs available. My main concern is that to give himself a reasonable chance of getting the model onto the water, Alan needs to eliminate as many problems as possible while building and fitting it out. Of those problems, using a vintage RC set would be top of my list, followed by brushed motors.

DM

aln101boat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 12:49:50 pm »

Hello Nemo.
And everybody else!
Sorry, I was away from Email for a few days.
My Futaba M's feelings are a bit hurt <:( , but I suppose the warnings are valid, thanks. Hadn't expected any incompatabilities with speed controllers and its going to be a bit awkward to test early.
At least the radio equipment is probably the easiest bit to change later.
Trevor: the nexus link looks good, thanks.
Nemo: thanks for the offer. I'll PM you.
What's wrong with brushed motors? Everywhere I look, the world is littered with "outrunners" and "lipo's". What's all this hype about? >>:-( . Yes, I know, dinosaur!
And as for 3D printers. Do they use cube'd ink?
Alan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »

I still have a couple of M series steerwheel sets. Nice kit. The ESCs are pretty old though. One was a Maplins kit, the other an Electronise 43X.

Colin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 04:25:52 pm »

.....but where you gonna find one?
For the cost of brand new modern servos that are sure to work and come with the right horns, a new servo is probably a cheaper option than trying to find a replacement "vintage" part.

What? When you can get several free?  %)

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 04:43:10 pm »

Well Alan, I use two of my '70's vintage M series gear in submarine models where 27mhz is an advantage over 40mhz, with a mixture of original Fatubby servos and modern Hitec 82mg & HS311 types, modern brushless[ better than a sparking old can] motors, lipos[more energy in less space] and esc's and it all works just fine, so if you want to use your old gear it should be okay though bear in mind all the usual caveats regarding 'black wire rot' on these particular sets. It is true of course that they do not have the range of functions and options that are available with modern 2.4ghz kit which is available at quite low prices, and of course you don't have to bother about frequency clashes- - or poking other people with 4 foot of  shiny aerial, it does annoy some folk!
                                                   Trevor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.