Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supermodels HMS Fearless - How did the project happen?  (Read 6037 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Supermodels HMS Fearless - How did the project happen?
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:59:26 am »

Sorry if this has all been covered in the distant past - but I’ve been watching the early morning repeats of the Supermodels HMS Fearless series on Discovery (again).
It's a fascinating series and, having been involved with a tv series in the past, I was wondering just how it came to be?

Who decided on building such a big model?

How did the project get off the ground and how did the funding work? Was there a budget available up front?

How did they recruit people to get involved and how tight was the time pressure to get it done?

The last episode seemed somewhat rushed and the boat went from a pile of half-made sub-assemblies to taking part in a regatta without any detail work or integration. It was fully fitted out with lifeboats, cranes, guns etc. but these were never even hinted at during the build - is there a 'missing' episode that ended up on the cutting room floor?

Also, as it's not exactly car-boot sized or easily transportable, who ended up with the model and does it see the light of day anymore?
Did it belong to the production company or did they donate it to a club?

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
Re: Supermodels HMS Fearless - How did the project happen?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:57:03 am »

Great show, shame about the presenter Mark Found  <*<

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:23:44 pm »

I wonder where that model is now?!   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »

Last time I saw it, it was in the model boat 'museum' at Beale Park - but that WAS a fair few years ago............

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:18:54 pm »

The last episode seemed somewhat rushed and the boat went from a pile of half-made sub-assemblies to taking part in a regatta without any detail work or integration. It was fully fitted out with lifeboats, cranes, guns etc. but these were never even hinted at during the build - is there a 'missing' episode that ended up on the cutting room floor?

Also, as it's not exactly car-boot sized or easily transportable, who ended up with the model and does it see the light of day anymore?
Did it belong to the production company or did they donate it to a club?

I've often wondered about this. The last episode was absolutely rushed and we don't/didn't get much chance to have a good look at the model, nor did we see any of the detailing happen, and then before you know it, the show is over.
 It could have been so much better a series if they had shown some of the finer details and less messing around.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:13:33 pm »

Great show, shame about the presenter Mark Found  <*<

Just my opinion, but I thought Mark was a good laugh  :embarrassed: I've watched this & the second series many times, I find it helps get me in the mood to build if I'm lacking shall we say.
It would have been nice to see more of the detailing fittings etc, but I really enjoyed them. Nice to see other peoples hard work too  :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 10:02:13 am »

I had never seen this show before and after reading the comments here went and found it on U-tube.  Bit of a mess , wasn't it!  The presenter seemed to be under the impression he was funny and the whole show had the appearance of having edited by a first year Art College film student.  There was far too little about the building of the Fearless, especially on the fine detailing.   Over all, a disappointment!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 10:27:35 am »

My Brother and I were at Beale Park on the day that they launched Fearless,they had a few problems with her at first ,and the so called presenter turned out to be a bad tempered,petulant idiot (my opinion ).he was very impatient with the guys launching and when John and I went over there with our big tugs ,we were not very politely told to go away,but if you watch the last episode at the launch carefully you just get a glimpse of my 54" SunXVI in the background,fame at last.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »

Never liked Mark Pound and his 'sense of humour, but some cracking modelling. I don't know who thought you could pack enough into half an hour to do some of these projects justice, but I think the fact that the show wasn't commissioned beyond three series (Garden Railway, SModels 1 & 2) says it all.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 12:38:27 pm »

Never liked Mark Pound and his 'sense of humour, but some cracking modelling. I don't know who thought you could pack enough into half an hour to do some of these projects justice, but I think the fact that the show wasn't commissioned beyond three series (Garden Railway, SModels 1 & 2) says it all.

This is what I'm wondering about - these types of show often come about in 2 ways - either Discovery have a meeting and decide they want to make this sort of thing and put aside some budget or an independent company know a 'mate' who wants someone else to pay for his hobby so they approach Discovery and sell the proposed show.

Normally, budgets are difficult to get up-front so I wondered how the model was financed - did the contributors work off-spec and hope to get paid at the end when the show was finished & sold (the way a lot of the film/media industry works)?

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 05:46:31 pm »

Not on the same scale but a model of this amazing boat
Regards
Jonathan

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 05:03:33 am »

Although i like the series, I found the presenter Mark annoying and very belittling to the modellers.  In the Fearless series there ae several times when the main modeller  (peter I think,  elderly gentlrman), looks like he us going up lump him! Could be me!
Also the title sequence to he show didn't help ...... going into a stripclub  to watch a movie about super models. The sarcasm and stupid jokes didn't help either.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.