Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propshafts  (Read 2784 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Propshafts
« on: November 27, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »

I've now handled four Caldercraft "Fineline" stainless M4 propshafts - one 7", one 5" and two 4".  The 7" one is fine, but the other three all exhibit run-out at one or both ends.  The amount of run-out is not consistent between shafts or at each end of the same shaft, but it's clearly visible when the shaft is rotated by hand in the tube.  By the time the coupling adaptor's gone on, the total run-out at the motor end of the coupling is ample to create vibration and noise.

I've established beyond any doubt that this is not due to damage in transit:  they were definitely made/threaded wonky.  Have I just been very unlucky indeed, or is this par for the course with these shafts?

And if I want a simple M4 propshaft assembly (say 4" or 5"), where can I buy a decent one online?  Anybody know what this range is like?   
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Stavros

Re: Propshafts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:52:32 pm »

SIMPLY the BEST m8 That is Steve Tranter of Model Boat bits I can vouch for his shafts....why....MMMM lets see ...Ive got over 15 of his shafts in my boast wont buy NOW WHERE else

Dave

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »

So I guess you like them then ...  {-)

Thanks very much indeed Dave.  I'll give one a go for the next build.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

inertia

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 03:01:29 pm »

I now use Steve's shafts and tubes, too. O - and his little flexible couplings! And his P-brackets..... and his tiller arms....
DM

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:05:16 pm »

I now use Steve's shafts and tubes, too. O - and his little flexible couplings! And his P-brackets..... and his tiller arms....
DM

OK ... message received and understood  :-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 05:04:30 pm »

He did the custom shafts for my Tamiya Tirpitz

Special order cut and made up to my specifications. Still received within 2 days of ordering
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.