Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the point in working hard for it...  (Read 4404 times)

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
What's the point in working hard for it...
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:31:53 pm »

Afternoon all,

A little rant, if I may, at the inconsiderate amongst us humans.

So, earlier this year I finally managed to treat myself to a car I've wanted for years. It is my pride and joy, a car which I look after to the highest standards and I take a lot of care over. Ok, to some people I understand it's just a car and it happens. But I like my cars and I like to take care of them.

So, I had to make a run to the supermarket this afternoon, and being the slight car snob that I am, I parked well away from anyone else and out of danger...or so I thought.
 On returning to the car I found two trolleys against the side of my car, which have caused quite considerable damage to my rear wheel arch and surrounding panels.

I went into the store and the security man was very friendly, very understanding and carefully looked at the footage. He discovered that, as suspected, the trolleys had been left by another shopper. Said shopper was quite happy to watch the trolleys roll into my car before leaving the car park. Now of course, the supermarket cannot divulge the information, as the car is left at my own risk and the other shopper, although in the wrong, did not physically push the trolleys into my car.

What's worse is, the trolley park was at most, 6/7 yards away from this person.

How lazy, inconsiderate and down right stupid these people are is beyond belief. I am absolutely fuming and I just think, what on earth is the point in working hard for it, when inevitably someone or something will ruin it.

I know it is just a car to some, but like I say, I've worked hard for it and I always consider other people when I do anything in my daily routines etc.

Rant over.  <*<
Cheers,

-Adam-

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
Re: What's the point in working hard for it...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »

I think you have every right to be seriously peed off.
I would be, there is absolutely no need for that sort of thing.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

You can get the info from the supermarket . Get you insurance company to have a word with them . Or get some legal advice. Because damage to your property has happened they can not sit behind data protection act .

JOhn

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:07:14 pm »

>>:-( Same happened to me about 2 years ago put a nice ding in the wing,I also complained to management and got the same answer,waste of time, now they have a £1 charge on their trolleys not because of damage to cars but because people have been stealing them,cured the problem but no help to us is it,the best one happened in the same car park some time ago,I was in the same car park  waiting for the rest of the family and listening to the football results,a women in a big BMW 4 wheel drive thingy parks next to me she pull down her window taps on mine and I open my passenger window,this is the best bit, she says to me "I can't open my door YOU WILL HAVE MOVE YOUR CAR" can you imagine my reply,can't put it on here or Martin would be after me,I just give up people are so rude and selfish these days......Ray. >>:-(     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »

You can get the info from the supermarket . Get you insurance company to have a word with them . Or get some legal advice. Because damage to your property has happen they can not sit behind date protection act .

JOhn

The problem I foresee is that as this is not a motoring offence the person involved is not likely to be insured and the only way to get money out of them would be a court action. I doubt that your insurance company would want to pursue an individual.  There is then the question of whether they have any money to pay compensation and how easily you, or a court, would get it out of them.

I wish you luck with this, I would be as angry as hell,  but I have my doubts that you will succeed. 

How long does your supermarket keep security tapes?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 04:17:25 pm »

Unless the supermarket numbers all the trolleys and you show your
passport to hire one , how can they say whose trolley
did the deed?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 04:59:12 pm »

I remember a legal question and answer show on the radio a few years back where the expert stated that the sign is actually just there to put off those less inclined to pursue the claim. I would definitely get legal advice and while I hate them, the no win no fee route may be the one to go down given that one or other of the parties is to blame for negligence or damage.

In my opinion it is criminal damage because sensible people would take their trolleys back to the trolley park or what ever they are called and not just let them dawdle across the carpark and into someone else's car. Their INTENT was to be negligent and the supermarkets INTENT through 'Notification' and 'Action' was to try and pass it off as an insignificant act.

If those trolleys had rolled into a child, they would have caused not insignificant injury through negligence. I am glad that your lights were not damaged as this would have left you with a situation where you would have had to take a risk at driving with lights that do not work.
Pond weed is your enemy

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:04:22 pm »

Unless the supermarket numbers all the trolleys and you show your
passport to hire one , how can they say whose trolley
did the deed?

Ned

Re Read the first post , the answer is there

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:06:49 pm »

The problem I foresee is that as this is not a motoring offence the person involved is not likely to be insured and the only way to get money out of them would be a court action. I doubt that your insurance company would want to pursue an individual.  There is then the question of whether they have any money to pay compensation and how easily you, or a court, would get it out of them.

I wish you luck with this, I would be as angry as hell,  but I have my doubts that you will succeed. 

How long does your supermarket keep security tapes?

Damage was caused to the owners car by a 3rd party so his insures will look in to it . What action is take depends on evidence available.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »

<*< Just spoke to a broker mate of mine,he says as the damage was not caused by the car then the insurance company would not be interested in any claim,the only claim would be against the people who pushed the trolley towards the car if that is what they did, and you would have to prove that they meant to damage your car,all this in a civil action which would be expensive and uncertain of an outcome in your favour,if the ratbags just left the trolleys in parking area and the wind flew them into your car they are irresponsible but it would be prove anything else,I know it makes your blood boil but we have to accept that there are selfish people out there,when it happened to me I was so upset because the car was not even a year old and like you I always try to park away from other cars.....Ray <*< 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

inertia

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 06:34:52 pm »

Adam
It happens - usually with 'sh' as a prefix. It seems there's no fixing it short of taking vigilante action, and you have nothing to go on here.
Get the car fixed; take a deep breath as you hand over the plastic, and vow never to use that supermarket again.
Tell the supermarket why, and make as much noise about it on Twatter and Farcebook as you can. A video featuring the damage and very prominent ID of the particular branch of the company will help it spread wider; the twitterati love stuff like that. A crying child would be even better - "Daddy; why don't people care for others any more?". It could go viral!
Oh - and don't take your P&J shopping again.
DM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 05:31:36 pm »

My experience was equally annoying. My nearly new car, bought from my pension, was hit in a car park of a NT building. A note was left under the windscreen wiper with a phone number presumambly as the offender was witnessed by others. Unfortunately the number was ficticious. So not negligence but deliberate deception.  <*< Sadly no CCTV cover. Bummer
Don't Assume Check

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:20 pm »

Sadly I'll have to wait until the new year to make any sort of repairs. Christmas somehow seems to be taking over at present!
 The damage though is really getting on my nerves, I hate dents/scratches and imperfections in a car, it's just one of those little things that drives me crazy .. a bit like swmbo really.  :embarrassed:
Cheers,

-Adam-

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:46 am »

If you're claiming on your insurance, fine. If not, I'd advise not telling your insurers. I had a similar trolley whack last Christmas. I reported it, as you're supposed to, but didn't make a claim as my excess was £200 and a replacement matching wing (plus 2 doors!) was only £50 on eBay. "It won't affect your no claims bonus or your premiums" they said. Lying bar stewards! Renewal quote came in at £960 - £200 more than last year. This was a multi-car policy for my son and me from the company that's a few ranks above Captain. An annoyed phone call get them to bring it down a bit. In the end we went for separate policies with the company that has the TV ads with "Winston Wolf - I fix problems!" £300 less than that £960, BUT they tell me that the reported incident has to go on file as a 'no blame claim', even though no claim was made.

And then, a couple of months ago, someone left a note on my son's car, saying sorry, he'd accidentally bumped into the front of it. As (his) luck would have it, someone else had done the same thing some weeks earlier and hadn't left a note. As we'd already bought the number plate holder that the guy thought he'd broken, we told him not to worry, and thanked him for being honest about it. Just as well we hadn't yet got round to putting it on!

Needless to say, we did not tell the insurers about either bump!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:21 am »

'BUT they tell me that the reported incident has to go on file as a 'no blame claim', even though no claim was made. '

Yes, you can pay to protect your no claims bonus but they get you on the premiums instead. Their argument is that a no blame incident might mean that you are susceptible to more of them (you might actually park in a supermarket again) and therefore are a bigger risk. It is all a con! It doesn't HAVE to go on file - they choose to do so.

Car insurance premiums for individuals are a lottery and have no connection with reality - but we all knew that.

Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 11:16:52 am »

A lot of the insurance companies are all actually one company - they have little sub-divisions often all using the same call-centre, to give the customers the illusion of choice - but they are all linked.

They know who you are before they pick up the phone and all of your details are immediately up on the screen in front of them. Shopping around and 'adjusting' what you tell them can actually increase your premium because your details on screen contradict what you say.

They all have an agreement to share details anyway - I switched from the Churchill to Swintons and they already had my details and I didn't need to prove no-claims as they could already see my old policy.

These companies only exist to make money and they will think of any way to get you to pay more and for them to pay out less.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:10:21 pm »

I also see here in america, where there are laws that keep Insurance companies from raising rates due to claims...  now the insurance companies do the reverse...  they give you "bonuses" (discounts on your policy) if you go for periods without claims.  then when you do make a claim... "poof" the bonus disappears.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 09:26:57 pm »

Over the years my cars have had many instances of damage in Supermarket car parks. I don't blame the supermarket or the general public for any of it. My wife just comes home and tells me what she has done and I say ok  O0

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.