Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Formula 1  (Read 5529 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Formula 1
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:24:45 pm »

I don't know about other members but today, the last race of the year heralds to me a bleak winter ahead with no motor racing and cold dark nights ahead.

And it is a time when I usually look forward to the spring, and after the 21st December, the winter solstice count down the days to the spring and the first race of the year, and a disappearance of my arthritis due to cold damp conditions for at least a few months.

However the last few races this year have really disillusioned me.

The races have been boring and the politics have been beyond belief especially the rules and regulations regarding the supply of engines to slower teams, and I have sadly just lost interest in the sport.

Do other members think it will get any better for next season or should I start thinking about something else to enhance the prospects of warmer spring weather and lighter nights, as this season has been diabolical, interest level diminishing and rules and regulations demeaning the endeavours of most drivers.

Luckily I have a model to start after new year and hopefully the thoughts of sailing that in the spring and summer will lighten my feeling of winter blues, but can I ever hope to see F1 returning back to the glory days of racers such as Jim Clark, Graham Hill, James Hunt, Ayrton Senna and Nicki Lauda who fought from the start to the finish.

I doubt it.

Jim, very disillusioned with 2015 Formula 1
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

rob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Formula 1
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:45:24 pm »

As a once avid fan, I have to agree with you Jim.
I started a new model today, which will take me past the beginning of next years races, and I probably won't even notice !
Chatted with James Hunt once at the Dutch GP ( was it a Hesketh !) Many years ago indeed.
in my own little world

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:03:01 pm »

yes, he drove for Lord Hesketh with both the March and Hesketh 308 cars, but won his championship in 1976 in a McLaren.

Jim.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »

Why not watch the World Superbikes and the British Superbike championships, both very exciting and extremely close manned up racing. Even the Moto GP has now got controversy i.e. Rossi v Marquez! I cannot wait for Casey Stoner having a guest/wild card ride on the 2016 Ducati he will rattle some cages.
     Enjoy your new build.
              Cheers,
                 Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:15:11 pm »

I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Formula 1 hmm, until its totally down to the drivers to make decisions again nothing will change.

For the third race in a row you have heard over team radio Lewis Hamilton wanting to run a different tyre strategy to his team mate and being denied. Until  the strategists are removed, the team dictating the order of the race it will stay the same. Mercedes are only interested in their cars finishing 1 & 2. Whoever is at the front is allowed to win due to aerodynamics of passing their team mate. This ideology has to be removed - leave it to the driver, if he makes a wrong decision and finishes 3.4.5 or even last, its his fault, the team has to accept that, its one man driving not the 50 or so in the pit.

More controversy. It seems the Mercedes cars had their suspensions altered - because both cars are run identical, not set up for the individual driver. For the last 5 races that suspension geometry has been altered at the behest of Nico Rosberg, to suit his style of driving. Of course his style is different to Hamiltons and he can't get his head around the new settings.

So you have the position of a world champion having his car altered to the settings of his number 2 driver, because that driver complains to his team. Mercedes display contempt for their champion but expect everyone to toe the company comes first philosophy. In other words, Mercedes are deciding even before the season has begun, who is going to be that seasons world drivers champion. I'll go out on a limb here and say I expect next year to be the last Lewis has at Mercedes, I reckon he'll move over to Ferarri.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 06:36:07 pm »

I think its another classic case of Teutonic arrogance, look back at the mannerisms of Rosberg on the podium when he did not win (dummy spitting). We all know there is no love lost between Hamilton and Rosberg but just take a look at the race where Vettel was also on the podium (forget which race) and straight away the two of them rabbit away in German. If nothing else its darn right bad manners. What I find quite amusing is that Rosberg, as I understand it , was born in Monaco has he ever lived in Germany I ask? Its not rocket science a German team, German driver (who did not win the championship!) is always going to be favoured by the German manufacturer.
     It will never happen but imagine if the cars had a key or some form of device to go into the dash to start it these keys then put in a hat and the drivers draw one out there is your car go and do the business. Young Max would have a field day behind the wheel of the Mercedes.
       Cheers,

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 06:40:04 pm »

Why not watch the World Superbikes and the British Superbike championships, both very exciting and extremely close manned up racing. Even the Moto GP has now got controversy i.e. Rossi v Marquez! I cannot wait for Casey Stoner having a guest/wild card ride on the 2016 Ducati he will rattle some cages.
     Enjoy your new build.
              Cheers,
Oh I do watch the bike racing Faz.

I Love bikes and am planning a trip to the IOM next summer for the first time in a few years.

Once a Biker, always a biker.

However even the WSB championship finale left a bad taste in many supporters mouth a couple of weeks back in Valencia. So even that sport has it's problems to.

But like you I am looking forward to Casey try to tame the Duke next season.

Jim.

inertia

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 06:49:12 pm »

I gather that the only connection between the Mercedes Team and the fatherland is that Mercedes writes the cheques for what is practically an all-British car, engine, design team and racing team (except for Nico, that is). IMHO F1 ceased being a spectator sport when Senna died.
DM

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:56:34 pm »

I think its another classic case of Teutonic arrogance, look back at the mannerisms of Rosberg on the podium when he did not win (dummy spitting). We all know there is no love lost between Hamilton and Rosberg but just take a look at the race where Vettel was also on the podium (forget which race) and straight away the two of them rabbit away in German. If nothing else its darn right bad manners. What I find quite amusing is that Rosberg, as I understand it , was born in Monaco has he ever lived in Germany I ask? Its not rocket science a German team, German driver (who did not win the championship!) is always going to be favoured by the German manufacturer.
     It will never happen but imagine if the cars had a key or some form of device to go into the dash to start it these keys then put in a hat and the drivers draw one out there is your car go and do the business. Young Max would have a field day behind the wheel of the Mercedes.
       Cheers,

Rosberg Has a German Mother and a Finnish father and was indeed born in Germany
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nico_Rosberg

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 10:27:45 pm »

I remember motor racing in the 60's & 70's My boss was a mate of Colin Chapman who we would meet in The Rising Sun in Tarporley when racing at Oulton Park. One weekend I was asked to take a car from Oulton to Bradford on the back of our flatbed. When it finished racing  we loaded a F1 Gold leaf Team Lotus on the back tied down with ropes and off to Bradford. Now you are too far from an F1 track to see much , it's more of a social occasion at a racing circuit. It is good to have a nap on Sunday watching TV But I do prefer the bikes now. F1 is more like politics with racing cars. Why celebs wandering around the grid pretending to be interested in cars?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 11:00:32 pm »

Formula 1,

They have a hide even calling it that, closer to watching paint dry.............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 07:33:38 am »

Sadly I have to agree, it's all so political now. What with the rules being the way they are. A 100 place grid penalty for example what's that all about? Especially as it was applied to one of the slowest cars. It's not even the 22 best drivers any more it's 4 or 6 and the rest are the best sponsored drivers. Thank goodness for fantasyleague otherwise it would be just 'lift and coast for me'........... U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 08:13:15 am »

All true folks, used to think it was me or rather my age finding fault. But looking back I suppose large inputs of money and increasing numbers of rules,legislation and safety have changed thing vastly from the spectators point at least. Mustn't knock the safety aspect as at times many great competitors were lost. Some of the things that maybe a blind eye were turned to then would have you up against a wall now. I remember in the, probably early 60s, travelling through most of the centre of Brussels on my Vincent Black Shadow in the company of several F1 contenders from the just finished GP, off to their garages the other side of the city. And how about after your transporter broke down you continued on your way to the Isle of Man, including through the Mersey tunnel on your race ready BMW sidecar outfit as one great German riders did, probably get ten years now rather than being waved on. Ah well one can still dream.
Syd J   

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:38:49 am »

A few years ago I would have said that you should not shackle the teams with regulations. Let them build the fastest car with the best engines and aerodynamics, it is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport so let them have at it!

Nowadays and seeing the crazy amounts of money needed to go racing I have some sympathy for the rule makers. 20 million pounds for one engine, you need 5 for a season, two cars per team, 10 engines at 20 million a pop. That is before you design and build the rest of the chassis. Car building is out of control.

I do believe that all the encumbrances they have added to engines in the last couple of years, need to be dropped. Get back to a pure engine, be it a V6, V8 or whatever, no turbos no electric recovery/power systems. Limit the cost of them to 10 million max. Same with aero's, Red Bull won for 4 years in a row, purely on their superior aero's. A full car should never cost more than 30 million pounds, in other words for what they are paying for just their engines now, they could run a full two car team with all personnel for the same cost.

deepstar

• deepstar
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:44:13 am »

hi
 hi
 fi was in the the bygone days was a pleasure to watch
sadly it now reminds of my childhood days
watching the merry go round at the local fair ground
thank goodness we have
moto gp  and super bike events

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 02:12:29 pm »

I've watched almost every race in F1 since 1982 Monaco...until this year, I watched 2 and fell asleep in both of them! I know I won't be bothering next year. Instead me & my son will  spend 7 Sundays competing in Fast Electric racing & 6 Sundays competing in club500 and springer tug cups! and we wont be falling asleep!
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 08:32:08 pm »

I've watched almost every race in F1 since 1982 Monaco...until this year, I watched 2 and fell asleep in both of them! I know I won't be bothering next year. Instead me & my son will  spend 7 Sundays competing in Fast Electric racing & 6 Sundays competing in club500 and springer tug cups! and we wont be falling asleep!

That's only 13, theres 21 races next season ;) :o Now that could be 21 weekends of utter boredom if this season is to go by. I watch free practice 1&2 on the fridays, and free practice 3 and qualifying on the saturday. I'm not a masochist, its just these periods are infinitely more interesting than the actual race. They also have lots of intersting articles done by knowledgeable commentators as well -- I watch on Sky tv not BBC by the way.

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »

7 Sundays to run my Scharnhorst and my sons Prinz Eugen! :police:
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 10:46:32 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nxwn3OHkEw

when its like this again I'll start watching

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 07:11:44 am »

After watching that video I applied today's rules......... Causing a collision and leaving the track. He would have had to give the place back. PLUS they both overtook, I haven't seen that for ages! Is it still allowed?
It'll look better when it's finished!

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 07:27:12 am »

Much more interesting video! none of the mamby pamby electronic driver aids like paddles on the steering wheel (must be like driving a very fast auto) and anti wheelspin devices. Remember Mick Doohan asking Honda for the screamer engine back when he was racing the mens bikes i.e. 500cc 4 cylinder 2 strokes, no rider aids there apart from him having a thumb operated back brake because he was unable to use a normal right foot pedal brake due to the horrific injuries he suffered crashing at Assen. I think F1 nowadays has just too much technology which allows ridiculous breakdowns as in a 50p sensor brings a multi million pound race car to a halt. Long live Classic racing.
       Cheers,
P.S. If you want value for money and viewing very close to the action try BSB at Knockhill June 2016. Three days concession ticket (Old fart that is) £19.00! Bargain.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »

Close racing in modern times is possible

F1 needs a few races with finishes like this:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1klmtsWQA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.