Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climate Change  (Read 4007 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« on: December 01, 2015, 02:11:13 pm »

if every body stopped buying new cars  tv washing machins fridges  laptops motor bikes electric cookers  it would help the   climate  would not help the employment  just heard on bbc tv that Christmas lights slows down inter net speed  what next blimy just seen a pink pig fly over perranporth beach     gordon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:17:44 pm »

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Climate Change
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:19:44 pm »

Gordon,

The climatic weather patterns are no different from many years in the past.

We suffered the most appalling flooding, storms and destruction in Norfolk in the 1950's when I was a teenager, through the 1960's, 1990's and so on and so forth.

In fact I was watching a programme the other night on television which stated from pollens, and seeds found dating back 10,000 years that Britain and Europe are the coldest at the moment than they have been in those 10000 years, and as such we as a particular part of the world are in a position of Global Cooling. not warming.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:22:06 pm »

A BIG problem for Wifi ( and radio in general ) are LED lights. Fishing boats that put them in have to keep them at least 6-8ft away from antenna as it stops the GPS signals and the VHF radios from working due to RF interference. No reason to think the household ones will be any different so if you've got LED's in lights anywhere in the house they are probably interfering with the Wifi signal.

The LED's used on models work on a different system , the problems seem to be the circuit boards built into the lights that cause the problems
Davie Tait,
Scotland

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:19:23 pm »

my lap top has got a bit slow lately since I have been using a  led reading lamp  would that be the reason it is slow I live right next door to the exchange     gordon

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:59 pm »

I am not too sure about this wifi slowing down near LED lights. I have a 5 meter strip of coloured flashing lights within 2 meters of the wifi router. No problems with my connection or speed.....

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 04:20:24 pm »

the Xmas type LED's shouldn't give any problems , but , the actual LED replacement light bulbs can give a lot of trouble with RF interference. There is a circuit inside the bulb ( to convert AC into DC and take it down from 240v to around 5v ) that in a lot of cases especially in the cheaper bulbs aren't properly RF Suppressed.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 04:59:37 pm »

Gordon,

The climatic weather patterns are no different from many years in the past.

We suffered the most appalling flooding, storms and destruction in Norfolk in the 1950's when I was a teenager, through the 1960's, 1990's and so on and so forth.

In fact I was watching a programme the other night on television which stated from pollens, and seeds found dating back 10,000 years that Britain and Europe are the coldest at the moment than they have been in those 10000 years, and as such we as a particular part of the world are in a position of Global Cooling. not warming.

Jim.
One program might say that - the other several hundred say the exact opposite, but then, they also look at the actual written records showing things like the medieval one from 1300 through to 1850.  And then check it against things like tree ring records and the gasses trapped in ice caps.  If you listen to what these programs say, we should, all other influences being equal, be heading for another, but although I well remember a thick layer of snow being a regular feature of January, February and early March from being a child in the '50s, the very harsh winters of the early '60s, and sliding the firms motor around in the '80s on ice, the last actual snow that fell and stuck for more than one day here in Blackpool was back in 1996. 
So while the records say things should be getting colder, they aren't.  We are getting more and stronger winds, and in some places temperature records get broken on a regular basis.  That is what climate change really means.  There are those who say "bring it on", but have yet to twig that we are not capable of actually regulating climate.  Get it just a hairsbreadth off, you either freeze or fry.

As to the LED fairy lights messing with WiFi, maybe, maybe not, but it could just as easily be the power units, or co-incidence, or somebody writing a BBC article needing a good headline and mis-hearing what some guy in a pub said.  Probably a case of believing in "Here Be Dragons".  I recently had a mate call for help because his router wasn't, although it was mostly lighting up - the new PU caused it to burst into life. I am prepared to guess that in most cases, that is how the LED interference is getting in - through the power leads.  A bit like the interference that we can get on an "interference free" 2.4GHz installation.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Climate Change
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 05:32:10 pm »

When I was younger, I did some time in a weather station - one of the ones that link to the met office.

The data collected was unbelievably sloppy and error-laden.

The hours of sunlight was a guess from the length of a line burnt into card via a crystal lens.
Temperatures were from the old Stephenson Screen - taken manually +/- a degree
The rainfall was collected & measured and rounded up or down to match the trends.
Windspeed was a ruler on a line off a chart recorder - basically any answer you want.

As we always say - garbage in, garbage out.

It make me laugh when all of the computer modelling programs are predicting tiny changes that are well within the error bars of the data.

Most of the 'records being broken' are along the lines of 'coldest for 50 years' so it was colder 50 years ago?

Climate is now just another boogeyman to make you feel guilty and accept taxes while our politicians jet around the world.

It's also an easy angle that tv producers use to get funding to fart out any old 2nd-rate program showing a dead polar bear. They don't give a toss if their program is factually accurate as long as they get paid - and maybe win an award or two because of the immotive 'tug-the-heartstrings' content.

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »

Jim, while it is quite true that 10k years ago Britain was much warmer, and hippos and elephants roamed northern and western Europe across as far as the Wash when the much bigger north polar ice-cap caused sea levels to be much lower , I must disagree that the climate now is no different than past times.  Reading history tells us that through the Middle Ages there were times of incredibly severe winters and both wet and dry summers, in relatively recent times most winters were very cold, a well known Norfolk man Parson Woodforde (1740-1803 )relates of frequent  monstrous snow storms in Norfolk throughout his lifetime even at low levels such as around Yarmouth. The weather in Britain is very changeable, and while  it is the case that we do have occasional severe and maybe more frequent rain storms than perhaps a few decades ago,  summers seem generally cooler than say in the 60's; but it is not as cold in wintertime. I was a young boy in 1947 winter big freeze, remember severe snow storms several times through 50-60's and the biting easterly winds, which over the past few decades are less frequent and more often south westerlies.[/size][/font]
           The trouble with all the ''climate change'' hoohah is that there are so many capitalist vested interests on both sides who will promote data that suits them , powerful energy providers want to sell more, manufacturing comes up with''greener'' products to boost their flagging profit margin, so we get diesel cars,windmills, useless lightbulbs, rubbish water-bound paints and so on, and as PLASTIC says government greedily eyes yet another chance to raise taxes to squander on everything from wars to propping up failed states. 
           And what can we do about it? sfa!

Trevor

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 09:44:14 pm »

Humans always over estimate their effect on everything, they simply cannot imagine that our ecosystems are so huge, so powerful, that man's puny presence means nothing.

The earth manages to cope with the huge variations in solar activity and volcanic eruptions can put out more CO2 in a month that mankind has in 1,000 years

All the politicians arriving in Paris travelled in private jets, some such as Air Force 1 are quite big and all of them travel in a procession of huge cars and yet only their only answer is to price energy so the poor will stop using so much.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:21 pm »

Could somebody PLEASE correct the title of this topic - driving me mad! Sounds like something Australians spread on bread....

Topic changed

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »

Humans always over estimate their effect on everything, they simply cannot imagine that our ecosystems are so huge, so powerful, that man's puny presence means nothing.

The earth manages to cope with the huge variations in solar activity and volcanic eruptions can put out more CO2 in a month that mankind has in 1,000 years

All the politicians arriving in Paris travelled in private jets, some such as Air Force 1 are quite big and all of them travel in a procession of huge cars and yet only their only answer is to price energy so the poor will stop using so much.

As was mentioned at work today.... could they not have video conferenced from their own countries? think ho much that would have saved the tax payer
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
Climate Change
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 10:22:42 pm »

Video conference from their offices????!!!!! What , and miss out on all the photo opportunities and platitude stuffed sound-bites, not to mention a couple of nights having to put up in swanky hotels and expense account restaurants? 

More chance of pigs evolving and growing wings!

Trevor .

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Climate Change
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:21 am »

Could somebody PLEASE correct the title of this topic - driving me mad! Sounds like something Australians spread on bread....
OH NO! That's VEGEMITE

For anyone interested in Climate change, look up the 8200 climate event on google and it is called "the Little Ice Age" when the Thames froze over and you could skate on it!

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
Re: Climate Change
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »

could they not have video conferenced from their own countries?

I used to work in video-conferencing, delivering tuition to Far Eastern universities.  8 weekly 2 hour sessions, then the lecturer had to fly out to KL, HK or wherever for face to face lectures for 4 weeks ... followed by a four week holiday!!  Being tech manager, I was never needed :(

I've done presentations all over the world (some at 3:00am) without leaving Leicester and never even had a glass of plonk to show for it!  I can't see the Gravy Train boys and girls putting up without their jollies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.