Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumbest Injuries?  (Read 6407 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Dumbest Injuries?
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:02:49 am »

This is from a conversation with a group of friends -

Ok, we’ve all done silly things in our lives – what are the worst or dumbest injuries you’ve sustained?

I’ll set the ball rolling with a couple:

Trod on a plank and didn’t spot the rusty 4” nail sticking up – it went straight through my foot and was sticking out of the top of my trainer – it made the sound of ripping canvas.
Got hit by a faulty firework – hand-sized burn on my neck and the burning flare rolled down the inside of my top burning all the way down to my naval.
Fell off a ladder when a rung broke and it ripped my leg open from ankle up to hip as I slid past the broken end.

I’m still here so I must be related to Captain Scarlet somehow.  :}
Anyone else got any other hilarious injuries?

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Dumbest Injuries?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:50 am »

Picking up my soldering iron by the wrong end?
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 11:36:11 am »

<:( Dropped the pillar drill vice on my foot and broke big toe and bone in the foot,lesson learnt it is now firmly bolted to base plate of drill,no fool like an old fool.......Ray <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:44:42 am »

Warning!     This Topic contains graphic and gory written content!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:05:14 pm »

Many years ago stacking oxygen cylinders in a pyramid outside in the rain and I lost grip on one. Instead of letting it go I attempted to stop it falling. Result one trapped finger between that cylinder and another in the stack. Jumping about and shaking my hand in pain I pulled off my glove - mistake! Blood all over the place spurting like a gud un. Fortunately as this was a trauma hospital I didn't have too far to the A&E. After stemming the flow of red stuff I went for x ray. The fingertip was a mess, had to have the nail removed and the bone in just the finger tip was crushed into 14 pieces. They just taped it up and said see how it goes  %) fortunately for me it healed and the bone knitted back together, the alternative was to amputate it, which I'm glad I avoided.

Again years ago, building a brick wall I had left a brick on the wall top at about 5ft high, I bent over for some mortar, and the brick fell off and hit me on the back of the head.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »

After a weight training session and dip in pool running trough the disinfectant bath my mate in front kicked some of the water over the guy in front so I decided to do the same to him, unfortunately for me, I wasn't wearing my specs and I misjudged the distance. The result was that I just clipped his shin resulting in a broken toe and five weeks off work. The worst part was that all my so called mate's thought I was joking and putting it on so they just left me there.

LB

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:47 pm »

Thirty years ago I was carving a block of balsa for the nose of a slope soarer. Stanley knife in left hand, block in right. I thought 'this is dangerous, but I've nearly fin...'

And that, dear reader, is how i got the inch long scar on my right index finger, and now have no feeling in it.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Isn't it wonderful that we makers seem to have 20/20 hindsight when it comes to damaging ourselves with our self induced injuries. I daren't put any of mine here from several decades of wielding sharp instruments and using hot things and dodgy chemicals, as I would not know which one was the dumbest !

Trevor.

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:24:54 pm »

Some twenty yrs ago, whilst working for a recovery garage, part of my job was maintenance / repair of working vehicles.

I was under the rear end of a spec llift transit, removing a hydraulic ram, I did think about it enough to strap the lift arm in the up position, and removed the battery....then under I went and proceeded to drive out the 1" ram pin.......out came the pin and I attempted to catch the ram, resulting in my right hand ring finger being split wide open as it met the ground.
Quick trip to hospital and had to hold my throbbing hand in  a bowl of something that bubbled away, and took off all the black grease from my hand.

And lately whilst ripping down some oak floor boards, on my table saw, to make some miniature doors, one piece of wood was snatched by the blade and dragged my finger though the blade.......cut through from the end of finger in about 3/4"...........ouch, was just one of the words I used.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 06:57:23 pm »

;D All of us who do or have worked with our hands take these risks every day and no matter how careful you are sooner or later you will have a mishap,I have lost count of all the cuts,knocks and bruises I have had in my working life and would not have changed anything I have done,the last 10 years I had at work where as a manager and when I had to  muck in an emergency and get my hands dirty I really enjoyed , those times were a delight showing the youngsters how its done,I would never swap a life of working with my hands with all the risks involved for a safe job in an office,I have done both and know which I prefer.....Ray.   

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:32:10 pm »

Does anyone remember those old bacon-slicers with the huge disc-blade that used to be seen on the counters of butcher and grocer shops?    Well, one day, -  on second thoughts, no, I don't think you really want to hear the rest! It is how I earned the nickname 'Stumpy' by doing a dumb thing!!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:16 pm »

Trod on a plank and didn’t spot the rusty 4” nail sticking up – it went straight through my foot and was sticking out of the top of my trainer – it made the sound of ripping canvas.

ooh bin there done that, I was helping my dad rip down the old wood garage, he trod on a nail - like you right through his foot - I rushed over and put the nail on the other end of the plank right through my foot, my mum tried to help but was too busy laughing.

another time I reached past the prop on my model plane - thats when I found out you cant see the last half inch.

I was grinding a rivet one day, when I slipped, and ground 1/4" off the end of my finger, I remember looking at it and seeing white finger, with a white centre, and a red ring just inside the outer circle.

Then there was the time reaching for a 110v plug and finding the other end was plugged in (as my finger went down the centre).
the day when I cut the plug off my old hornby transformer, then found out it was still plugged in and on.
the worst was testing a battery the traditional way with 2 wires  on my tongue, only to find it was an old 90V radio battery - that gave me a headache.

at work I was moving a duplex oil filter about 50 lb and 3 foot high, but only 6" wide, when I dropped it across one leg, with the other foot trapped under that leg. I had to wait a good 20 minutes for someone to go past. oh the heady days before elf n safety, when you didnt report the results of your own stupidity.
Grendel

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 08:20:44 pm »

I' ve got another one - helping someone with carrying a 500W class A RF power amplifier that's about 75kg and about the size of a washing machine.
It started to slip from my hands so we put it down and all I could see was a chicken breast in my hand.

Turned out a burr on a screw underneath had cut my hand wide open and the weight had pulled the skin of my palm right back - what I thought was a chicken breast was my bare thumb muscle from my wrist to half way up my thumb. Yuk.  :o

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:18 pm »

{-) Having read these posts I don't think I should have eaten that last jam doughnut.....Ray. {-) 

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 10:25:46 pm »

I seem to stab myself almost daily, but the worst I've done was using a half inch chisel a few years back, gave it a right whack, missed the wood and shoved it straight though my wrist. It managed to catch at least two veins on it's way though, and me being me decided to remove it. Red stuff proceeded to spurt out all over the kitchen floor, ten minutes under the tap later it had seemed to slow down, so I put a plaster on each side, bandaged it up and decided it was probably time to call it a night and went to bed %)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 12:26:28 am »

As a former Butcher I suffered numerous injuries, usually minor stuff.
1 nasty one came thus:-
Some poor old lady came to the counter bang on closing time, asking for marrowbones "for my dog" - ok, grabbed the biggest bone I could find and started, in a temper, to cut the knuckles off the ends of a thigh bone, with a hacksaw. The hacksaw slipped and cut across the top of my hand at a 45 deg angle and opened the skin etc across the tendon of my index finger. Fortunately, it failed to cut the actual tendon - that made me sweat. Oh, and the reason for the temper? I had just finished scraping the butchers block clean and had to mess it up again. <:(

Think my worst injury came a few years later. My late father in law had a Kukri (Gurkha knife) atop their wardrobe - it was a wartime souvenir from Burma - and the mother in law asked if I could get rid of it for safety's sake. OK says I, but let's have a look at it.
So, like an idiot, I curled my fingers around the sheath and withdrew the knife - yep, all four fingers were cut deep, so off to A&E.
The sheath was made of wood and covered in leather. As I withdrew the blade (still razor sharp) it cut through the old leather like paper, hence the injury.
Later, took the weapon to a TA Centre and presented it to the JR's mess. One of the corporal's put it in a desk drawer with a view to mounting it later (I'd told him what had happened to me). At some point the same corporal decided to have another look at the knife and....suffered the exact same injury as me.

We made a right comical sight walking around with 4 jumbo sausage-sized bandages each on our hands!  {-)

Regards,

Ray.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 12:46:42 am »

A lot of years ago I was standing on the top rung of a pair of tubular steel step ladders and had'nt latched them. They collapsed and I fell through the middle of them up to my waste. I was a lot slimmer then. Plenty of scrapes and bruises.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:31 am »

You would think that with one broken toe and 2 severly bruised ones in the last few weeks that I would have learnt NOT to walk about barefoot in the dark!

inertia

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 08:38:20 am »

After stemming the flow of red stuff I went for x ray. The fingertip was a mess, had to have the nail removed and the bone in just the finger tip was crushed into 14 pieces. They just taped it up and said see how it goes  %) fortunately for me it healed and the bone knitted back together,

I wonder why this sounds so horribly familiar. Perhaps someone would remind me?  :o

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 08:45:20 am »

Don't ask. Too many to mention. But recently. ...using an electronic drill to screw screws in missed the screw and screwed my finger.....4 times. Stood up under a 5ft platform when I'm 6ft. Normal stuff
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 08:46:00 am »

Must be a bad case of Wicky Finger {-)  Dave

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:21 am »

Must be a bad case of Wicky Finger {-)  Dave
Ned
That's the one, Ned. It's still a little numb right at the tip but I have full movement and a proper finger-nail. The doctor who strapped me up at Northampton General ( a very nice East European chap) gave me directions to a pharmacy where I could collect some pain killers. When I walked into the shop there was a pharmacy counter on the right hand side....and an off-licence on the left! I can recommend codeine and Bell's.
DM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 09:13:30 am »

As a kid I fell off a three wheel scooter doing a 180 turn. Broke my leg and was in plaster for several months. Learning to walk again at age 10 was no fun  :embarrassed:
Don't Assume Check

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 09:42:15 am »

So one icy morning I was walking around the car spraying the de-icer on the windows.

Walking around the front of the car, the ice was extra slippery so I went base over apex and instinctively put my arm out to save myself on the bonnet of the car.
3 fingers went between the bars of the front grill but my middle finger caught one of the bars and ended up bend backwards at 90 degree to the back of my hand.

It was obviously well dislocated and I just stared in disbelief at this odd looking hand with a finger sticking up out of the back.
I calmly grasped the finger and quickly put it back onto the correct position. Click.

To my surprise, it all felt completely normal - I could bend it ok, make a fist, hold the spray can etc. so I carried on de-icing the car.

Later in the day it had swelled up a bit and ached a lot but is was still working ok so a few paracetomol to take the edge off and all was well after a few days.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:47 am »

I had a daft experience from which I came out of unscathed,  I borrowed a wooden ladder from friend next door, I went up to the roof with a bucket to clear out the gutters.  On returning down the ladder as Gerald Hoffnung would have said "I was now heavier than when I went up".

Halfway down the ladder a rung failed, as did all the rungs beneath as I hit them all one at a time going down.  At the bottom I just stood at attention with the ladder sides under my arm pits holding me upright and the bucket one side and the scoop on the other.

Lesson learned that gravity is very fast.
regards Roy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.