Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft Sir Kay  (Read 1407 times)

Grandpa Tim

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Caldercraft Sir Kay
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:44:49 pm »

Hello everyone, I'm a relatively experienced modeler of boats but so far I have only scratch built them (apart from a Robbe U-boat). I have recently bought the Caldercraft Sir Kay and have just made a start on it. I would like to replace a lot of the white metal fittings with plastic or brass alternatives, mainly to reduce top weight. I would also like to add a bit more detail such as plating on the superstructure.  I have read with interest the detailed build of Sir Lancelot on various forums and compared both kits to original plans and those drawn up by John Lambert and notice that there are some differences. The questions I have so far are:-
 should the front of the wheelhouse be flat like Sir Lancelot or faceted like Caldercrafts  Sir K's?
 should the flag locker on the bridge only have 9 compartments?
 should the engine room skylights be on a triangular roof or should the triangular roof have a flat top?
 would the woodwork of the flying bridge be painted or left varnished?
 would the decking have been like Sir L's or completely planked as in the kit?
 Any help or advice regarding the kit or any advice regarding extra detail greatly appreciated.

best wishes Tim

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Caldercraft Sir Kay
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:45:25 am »

Hi Tim there are some good photos on offshore electrics .com of a finished model they may be of some use to you ..regards Bill.

Grandpa Tim

• Shipmate
Re: Caldercraft Sir Kay
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 08:49:27 pm »

Many thanks for the reply Bill,

I have the Caldercraft kit and am pleased with it, however there are differences between the Caldercraft and Mountfield kits which I think are down to two different interpretations of the same plans though some may be due to shipyard variations. I would like to add a bit more detail to the kit and would like to be as accurate as I can within the kit limitations.

Best wishes Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.