Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Esc for decent slow running control  (Read 1873 times)

Ultrarep

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Which Esc for decent slow running control
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:39:21 pm »

hi all
Having posted on the black art section and been convinced on going to brushless twin motors for a 36 inch sports cruiser. I want to have good speed control at low speeds for manoeuvring etc and have read that car esc units have better low speed control. Obviously they are not water proof and are highly at risk in that environment.  Is there a marine 30A unit that people have found with good low speed attributes?
I dont want to have it take off at warp anything as soon as i touch the throttles fir some close quarters slow stuff. Motors are likley to be leopard or turnigy 2826-17 1050kv on 3s

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Which Esc for decent slow running control
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:08 am »

Unless you are in the habit of submerging the boat, the ESC should never get wet if it is inside the boat.  I would guess that an ESC on a car is actually more likely to get wet due to running through puddles, since they are likely to be mounted where airflow can get to them.  Very few ESCs of any type have been waterproof, but model boats work anyway, since one of the objects of the exercise is to keep the water out.
Best to try to stop over-thinking before problems that don't exist bring you to a stop.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:39:11 am »

I use these motors on 3S LiPo packs in two models. One has a Fusion Hawk 18A (now superceded by the 30A version) from CMB and the other has the Leopard Marine V3 30A from Component Shop. Both are Marine spec (not car controllers) although neither requires water-cooling; well, not in my models anyway. The V3 does have the appropriate cooling connections, and both have reasonable slow-running control. You won't get 'count-the-revs' slow running on an outrunner of 1050kv but you won't find the model surging forward at the merest touch of the throttle either. One thing I would strongly recommend is to buy a programming card for whichever ESC you chose; it makes setting the thing up so much easier than relying on beeps from the transmitter.
Dave M

Ultrarep

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 11:55:43 am »

Once again thanks Dave.
Think I have it all straight and planned out now

Your video was very usfull and she is a beauty.  I was alway in love with the Huntsman

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.