Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So ... am I completely snookered? (Spraying in Winter)  (Read 4021 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
So ... am I completely snookered? (Spraying in Winter)
« on: December 08, 2015, 08:27:51 pm »

Sorry chaps, me again  :embarrassed:

For my first two builds, I've used brushed-on Humbrol enamel, and I've managed to get a just-about-acceptable finish on them.  So far so good, considering - but for this next build, I really don't want a gloss finish.  I want matt, semi-matt or somewhere in between.  Maybe even satin.  Anything, in fact, but glossy.

Problem is though, it just isn't practical for me to use rattle-cans at this time of year.  But what alternative is there?  All I can think of is having to buy those small tinlets of matt Humbrol enamels and decant two or three of each colour into another container for such as the hull and other large areas.  However, is matt Humbrol actually as robust as the glossy when it comes to being in the water and generally subjected to a bit of normal wear and tear? 

What about acrylics?  Might that be an option for me?  Some sort of brush-on matt/satin sealer/topcoat?

I dunno, maybe I just can't see the wood for the trees, but right now having to brush-paint and wanting a non-glossy finish does seem to be a major problem. Am I really snookered? Any ideas, please chaps?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: So ... am I completely snookered?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:39 pm »

Hi I do not know whether this helps but by chance I found that on a matt varnish surface if you brush on straight thinners (turps) that it took on a slightly shinier finish, looked good on wood.
regards Roy

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:53 pm »

Paint it gloss and apply a brush on Matt or satin finish varnish

Dave

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:13:49 pm »

Hi,
         If you spray a gloss finish in damp weather it will dry dull i.e. satin/matt type of finish. I have found this out purely by accident, it also happens with brushed oil based gloss paints when used in damp conditions. Depending on how big the item you are painting you can get Satin or eggshell finish made up for you at Johnsones paints in almost any colour. Hope this helps.
        Cheers,
             Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:23:12 pm »

WOAH big time here DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT..............................it will end in TEARS...FACT...ok Faz it MIGHT work for you but when it goes wrong for others they will BLAME YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

Spraying in damp weather is a recipe for absoloute disaster....the reason for it drying matt is not the fact it has dried matt at all it simply means the paint has BLOOMED......giving the impression of mattness.....in fact if you rub it with a dry cloth to vigourously it will polish up..........an old trick with bloomed paint is to heat it up with a hair drier !!!!!!!! 9 times out of 10 it works....failing that a good old polish

ANY damp at all in ANY form of paint is a recipie for total disaster and the drying time goes straight out of the window and in fact it might not dry at all ......seen it !!
Them My goodness you will be in one heck of a mess

PLEASE REFRAIN from painting in a damp conditions

Dave

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:15:01 am »

Paint it gloss and apply a brush on Matt or satin finish varnish

Oooooooooooooooooooooh I like the sound of that very much Dave!  Sorry to be so clueless about this, but would you recommend anything in particular, or do I just toodle off to the builders' merchant and get whatever matt varnish is on the shelf in a fairly small tin?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:43:31 am »

I use Humbrol enamels - usually matt, but sometimes have to use gloss. To ensure an even finish I then use one of Humbrol's varnishes, which are available in Matt, Satin or Gloss. No problems of compatibility.

How big is your hull. I have never needed more than one tinlet to paint any hull with some left over.

Barrie

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:54:08 am »

international floor paint.......brush on satin finish. lots of primary colours

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 10:32:03 am »

Oh cheers chaps!  I can now crack on knowing that the finishing isn't going to be the problem I thought it was  :-)

(Barrie, it's only 2 coats on 18" x 8" but I have no experience with the 14ml tins so had no idea how far one of them will actually go)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: So ... am I completely snookered? (Spraying in Winter)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 09:55:36 pm »

If your painting area can be heated, shed etc, try warming your rattle cans in WARM water, not hot as this will cause the pressure to vary to much, warming the can also helps to thin the paint making it easier to shake and mix. Just thought, warm the room, shed etc for about an hour before hand so any damp in the air will have evaporated

Hope this will help

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Re: So ... am I completely snookered? (Spraying in Winter)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 07:33:03 am »

Ermmm ... I just noticed that the title of this thread now has "(Spraying in Winter)" added, which is actually nothing to do with the question I was asking, but there you go!  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.